Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Spending a little time in SF2

While I mostly fly DCS World and thanks to SimWorks Studios' F-4B I also fly a little FSX:SE with TacPack, I have come to realize I never finished populating my SF2:NA install with all the aircraft if should have, especially considering some recent updates to make some older releases more compatible with SF2. So, I have looked at my aircraft folder and started plugging holes I didn't realize I had never filled. Primarily talking about MiG and Su aircraft, trying to fill in the entire number sequence, but also including some American/NATO aircraft such as the F-5E. SF2 in its latest releases has some changes/bugs that I don't like, but in spite of them, I still enjoy flying basic intercept, CAP, and sweep missions in various fighters ranging from the 1950s to the present. SF2 Korea is still hard to beat for its plane set and map. I would kill for a DCS F2H-2 Banshee, but to this very day, SF2 Korea is the place to fly this fantastic aircraft. Of course, my principal reason to fly SF2 at all is that it remains the premier sim platform for flying the F-4 Phantom family in historical combat roles. Vietnam and Israeli air wars have not been modeled better in any sim to date. As much as I love DCS World aircraft for their detail and realism, the work it takes to release a particular aircraft and the limitations of sales potential for minor variants almost guarantees you will get only one variant of any one major aircraft type. For example, the F-5E and MiG-21bis are available in DCS World, but you will probably never see an F-5A, F-5F, MiG-21PF, or MiG-21MF. Whereas SF2 provides all the minor variants with reasonably modeled differences both graphically and functionally. I would love it if DCS World could provide a plane set comparable to SF2, but at the present rate it will never happen in my lifetime. This leaves me no choice but to continue flying SF2 every now and then for both the variety and the focus on the F-4 Phantom II.

• Like 3

I've been rebuilding my sim as well. For me, SF2 is the best for the way I like to flight sim. And, I agree, the Korean War mod for this sim is fantastic. Lately, I've been flying in and tinkering with SF2 Exp2, mostly because of Rends' Germany terrain, but also because I've found myself drawn to flying the British versions of the F4, and I've developed a very strange fetish for flying the Mirage IIIc. The planesets you can achieve with mods and with DLC, especially mods, are absolutely amazing, as long as you're, like me, not an "I need to push every button" type of flight simmer. SF2 simply hits the sweet spot for me, and this modding community blew the lid off this sim.

Edited by Heck
  • Like 1

Finally installed "The Last of the Lightnings"  mod and have been recently doing my OCU conversion on the Lightning F.mk6...which also includes a Hawker Hunter, F-4M Phantom and the amazing Buccaneer tanker for A-A refuel practise! 

Also just reinstalled SF2, for the reasons listed above.  The plane set, dynamic campaigns, and ease of entry (and maintaining skills) just blows (IMHO) the other offerings out of the water.

I'm sticking with a fully merged, but mostly stock install.  I have the latest tilesets for each terrain, Stary's environment mods and effects, AAA and SAMs pack, and a handful of AI made flyable.  That provides more than enough content to keep me busy.

I also added Mue's "label" mod that transforms aircraft labels into small dots.  I changed the color of my dots to black, and dogfights in this sim are better than ever now!!!

Flying Mirage IIIs, Kfirs, and F-4Es over Israel is a great experience. The Lightning was the closest TK ever came to providing the most realistic flight model possible with the SF2 game engine, making it both fun and challenging to fly. While the later F-4M with Skyflash was a great aircraft, I prefer to fly early F-4Ks from carriers. I love the paint schemes and enjoy carrier operations. But my favorite missions in SF2 are historically themed F-105s vs MiG-17s, F-4Cs vs MiG-21Fs, and F-4Ds vs MiG-21MFs/MiG-19s. Operation Bolo with Col Robin Olds and 10 May 1972 with Major Lodge/Steve Ritchie are absolute obsessions even though I never followed through with making complete, accurate missions for those two events. Flying an F-105D loaded for mud moving while being bounced and outnumbered by MiG-17s is always a fun hop. I have been playing this sim so long that countless memories pop up from the first time I installed and played the original Walmart pre-release version to the present. I can't imagine what the number of total hours I have put into this game counting playing, modding, discussing on forums, etc.

Oh, geez. Forgot to get a Bucc. Thanks, MigBuster!

I tried DCS.  I really did.  For the last five months, I've tried to get into it.  Just can't.

I tried DCS.  I really did.  For the last five months, I've tried to get into it.  Just can't.

Yes some stuff could be better, as they are long awaiting for improvement -  like the MiG-29 flight model for instance.

What stuff you didn't like so much ?