Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

How Do These Things Happen?

The only tree for miles and a plane fetches up in it. Two automobiles on a deserted stretch of road and they go head-to-head. Why is this? Recently I ran across an article that explained it quite simply. The pilot/driver can not look away from the disaster unfolding before him. He freezes on the controls. To avert the collision, you have to be able to look in the direction you want to go. For a car, this means left or right. For the pilot, it means anywhere but straight ahead.

WWI AIRCRAFT CRASHES .jpg

There shouldn't have ever been trees planted near the future airfield? :blackeye:

If there is a million trees and you cut them down, all except one, some pilot will find it on landing and put his plane into it. [Murphy's Law]

Maybe it's like when they say "Don't think of a blue elephant" - what will you think of?

Ony that they said "Don't hit that one single tree. Don't even go near it!"

Or maybe the tree attracts the airplane, wanting the wood back? :crutch:

Or maybe the tree attracts the airplane, wanting the wood back?

There y' go! That would be my choice of explanations.

Maybe it's like when they say "Don't think of a blue elephant" - what will you think of?

Ony that they said "Don't hit that one single tree. Don't even go near it!"

Or maybe the tree attracts the airplane, wanting the wood back? :crutch:

Now your first thesis, that goes 'way back!  "You can eat from all the rest, but don't eat of that one tree, Adam!"

I recall watching a fellow make his first parachute jump, years back when I was a kid.  One tree, half dead, near the hangar, only one for half a mile in any direction - and watching his legs start kicking and a "Noooooooo!" as he went right into it.  Broke his leg, poor fellow.

Now your first thesis, that goes 'way back!  "You can eat from all the rest, but don't eat of that one tree, Adam!"

One tree, half dead, near the hangar, only one for half a mile in any direction - and watching his legs start kicking and a "Noooooooo!" as he went right into it.  Broke his leg, poor fellow.

Interesting idea - so it could be that old "inbuilt-guilt-thingy" - the allmighty's still ongoing punishment for mankind's first big wilfulness? :blackeye:

...the allmighty's still ongoing punishment for mankind's first big wilfulness?

I have, in the past, queried religious people on whether God can see the future. Every one of them replied with some form of, "Oh yes. God is all-powerful. There are no limits to his power or abilities." So...how could a deity who can see the future not know that his human creation is susceptible to temptation? Or that his tree is irresistible?

I have, in the past, queried religious people on whether God can see the future. Every one of them replied with some form of, "Oh yes. God is all-powerful. There are no limits to his power or abilities." So...how could a deity who can see the future not know that his human creation is susceptible to temptation? Or that his tree is irresistible?

I will make no claim to "know" the answer to this but as a somewhat tongue in cheek response, I will offer up this.   Sometimes after a parent tells there 4 year old to stop running in the house 5 or 6 times, they just let the kid run, knowing when he or she slams into the wall and feels the pain, maybe then they will get it.  Sadly for us humans, all too often we seem to "prefer" to learn from bad experiences rather than from good advice.   ;)

...all too often we seem to "prefer" to learn from bad experiences rather than from good advice.   ;)

True, but that is part of our evolution.

It is exactly what lead to the ban from paradise for A and E - not to just believe in something you are told, but rather to experience it.

The "old book" just wraps it into this story about the apple.

The core question was: did we want to stay in paradise and live as it was given to us, like the animals do, or did we want to search for and reach knowledge and understanding.

God or nature or the Grand Overall Law or however we want to call it, equipped us with the ability to choose.

We chose the latter, and so we now have flea powder and TVs.

And we must work hard all day, to keep it that way, while the lions lie in the sun.

Bored maybe, without a TV - and with many flees in their furs.

Edited by Olham

Olham, I like your theology!  Hellshade, you make a good point too.  For that matter, so does Hauksbee!  And we must tread lightly for there is nothing to incite the passions and make enemies of friends, than a "discussion" of religion or the power vs the goodness of God.

Hauksbee, if you have a chance, take some time and read a book by C. S. Lewis, called "The Problem of Pain" wherein a very bright man wrestles with that very problem.  I am one of the few people, I think, who've ever read that book "backward" - not "God, if you love us, why do we suffer?", but "God, how could you have allowed me to cause such pain? why did you not stop me, even kill me?"  By the time I got to the third chapter, I was bawling uncontrollably, which was awkward, because I was doing night shift on a job in New York City.  & I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you privately.

And we must work hard all day, to keep it that way, while the lions lie in the sun. Bored maybe, without a TV - and with many flees in their furs.

So...it's snooze in the sun like lions (but tolerate fleas), or, bust my arse working  all day, every day (but get TV in the evenings? Hmmmmm. That's a tough one.

Yes, that seems to be the outcome of my lifelong philosophising, Hauksbee... :declare:

TV?  TV?!  What about WOFF?  HERESY!  :wink:

I present to you the Worlds' Shortest Poem:

Fleas

Adam had'em.

I'll get my coat...  I can see myself out...

Muahahahahaaaaa!!!!

I've missed seeing those!  I'll try stopping by more often!