jeanba

My last book : C39 squadron

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

A day to day report on the escadrille C39 between 1914 and 1918

Lot of ideas for WOFF, but also FE2 or RoF :

Caudron G3 / G4 / G6 / R4, Sopwith, Salmson 2A2 (and Moineaux)

Very interesting because it illustrates the day to day life of teh squadron and its various missions

Air to air combats are few early but get more and more numerous later

More here about escadrille 39 :

http://www.asoublies1418.fr/Default.asp?397332D3741663E6265334433D166E6236233D077462375336233DE6

Edited by jeanba

Thanks for the book recommendation! Sounds interesting. Not too many books have been written about those escadrilles.

Thanks for the book recommendation! Sounds interesting. Not too many books have been written about those escadrilles.

Do you know if such kind of books exist for german units (except Jastas)?

Do you know if such kind of books exist for german units (except Jastas)?

I'm not aware of any such unit histories. All books seem to be either about specific Jastas or aces, who naturally spent most of their careers in Jastas. And there aren't many such books either.

I guess one problem for research is the loss of many of the Prussian military archives in WW2. Many Luftstreitkräfte war diaries were lost, so there's not much source material for aviation historians to research. 

Edited by Hasse Wind

I'm not aware of any such unit histories. All books seem to be either about specific Jastas or aces, who naturally spent most of their careers in Jastas. And there aren't many such books either.

I guess one problem for research is the loss of many of the Prussian military archives in WW2. Many Luftstreitkräfte war diaries were lost, so there's not much source material for aviation historians to research. 

It is basically the same problem in France :

Most wwI archives were lost in 1940, either destroyed, hidden and not recovered or confiscated by the German and then by the Russian, hence the interest of this book

Edited by jeanba