Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Add TW F-14 VDI to other aircraft

Can anyone help me add the Thirdwire F-14A VDI to another aircraft?  I tried it myself, but I was not successful.  There were some lines in the F-14 avionics that looked to be unique to that aircraft (or aircraft that use F-14 avionics dll) and I couldn't get it to work.

I'm well aware that I'll lose radar capability, and that is something I'm OK with for this experiment.  The specific aircraft I'm trying to add it to is the A-6A.

Also - does anyone know if adding range to current waypoint to the VDI is possible?  I see it's a variable for the F-14's radar, but I'm not sure if it can be added to the VDI as well...

Thanks.

Man... I know out hasn't been 12 hrs yet, but these kinds of questions used to get answered within minutes!

Hopefully the right person just hasn't seen the thread yet. I can't imagine that no one knows how to do this...

maybe,AvionicsF14A.dll, in the configuration file? instead of Avionics70.dll

I tried that. The VID in the avionics file is kind of like a cross between an instrument and radar display. It's unclear to me how to call out where it gets placed and what references from the F-14 files need to get copied over. There's a line in the F-14 avionics file that references a "cockpit data file" which I something I've never seen before... it's not referring to the cockpit.ini file...

it's more than likely, that it may be a "max issue" (meaning: it was built that way in 3ds Max)

have you looked at the cockpit lod in Mue's Lod Viewer? (both A-6 and F-14).

I'm not sure if you can have multiple "moving" nodes without it having been build that way.  

might have to start searching the higher number cats, or ?? to find the "cockpit data ini".  I wonder if the node descriptions might be listed in there.

But, overall, I'm sure you can't use any of the F-14 stuff on the (what is essentially) a 2005-ish cockpit lod (A-6)

The VDI in the TW F-14 is defined the way radars are in other aircraft. The only node it calls out is the one node for the display. All the elements of the VID are defined in the avionics file like elements of radar are defined, not like individual gage elements that each have their own node.

I don't have the files in front of me so I can't go into greater detail. But it's all set up differently than the aircraft that use 60 and 70 avionics .dll. I bet there's a way to do it in the A-6. It's just a matter of figuring out which lines yo copy over and edit...

:biggrin:

then it's got to be something the F14avionics.dll (or whatever it's called).

you should ( or perhaps maybe being the operative word) be able to find those lines necessary in the various avionics and cockpit inis, and what I'd do, is extract and copy the necessary bmp or tga into the A-6 /cockpit folder and hope for the best

The TW F-14 VDI is basically a 2nd HUD with some extra functions for display purposes.

Ive not looked into that thing any closer yet.

Only noticed that the VDI_SteeringTee entry has the same typo like the one for the HUD :

OnlyWithRadarMissileS=TRUE

Missing the S