Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

U.S proposes Space Marines

Space Marines? Congressional Committee Proposes Creation of U.S. Space Corps.

In this year’s annual National Defense Authorization Act documentation, the House Armed Services Committee has voted in favor of the creation of a new military branch for outer space.

The proposed United States Space Corps would operate in the interest of “providing combat-ready space forces that enable the commanders of the combatant commands to fight and win wars.” It would function as an extension of the Air Force, similarly to the Marine Corps does the Navy.

The United States Air Force has already stated that “maintaining space superiority” is one of its “core missions” as a “warfighting domain.” As recently as April, they added a Deputy Chief of Staff for Space to their roster. They have also renamed the Joint Interagency Combined Space Operations Center to the National Space Defense Center in order to “better describe its actual purpose.”

For all that, you might believe that the Air Force would offer a ringing endorsement to the legislation. Instead, they are among its loudest detractors. Rep. Mike Rogers of Alabama said that he was “shocked by the response by the Air Force leadership” to the proposal.

As it happens, neither the Air Force’s chief of staff nor its secretary have taken too kindly to the idea of separating space defense concerns from their existing efforts.

Secretary Heather Wilson said that the creation of a United States Space Corps “will make it more complex, add more boxes to the organizational chart, and cost more money.”

There’s one thing on which all concerned agree, however. The future of warfare lies outside of Earth’s atmosphere. The only real question is whether we’ll ever be defending ourselves from little green men or just each other.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/07/10/congressional-committee-proposes-creation-of-us-space-corps/

I thought there was some sort of law established back in the 60s that prohibits a nation from taking a celestial body for militaristic proposes etc etc.

I also remember something that was proposed during the height of the shuttle program. They mockingly dubbed it Star Wars. Shuttles were to employ munitions from space to blow up targets on Earth. Original shuttle designs were also to include weapons as well. So with other nations wanting to go to space it doesn't surprise me to see this being talked about. After all he who has the high ground wins right? Can't get any higher than space. 

I wonder if I can work on my Star Sniper story now that that is out... 

there was a treaty prohibiting weapons in space, but one can always develop the capabilities even if you dont deploy them

side note iirc this new force also takes over cyber"space" warfare as well as usual space based activities such as the NAVSTAR system, recon and ballistic missile launch warning and tracking.

A much better expenditure of funds than, schools or green energy or healthcare or meals on wheels or EPA, or....pants.

Well, the treaty says you can't have WMD in space, it doesn't say you can't have weapons (in general) in space (The Outer Space Treaty of 1967).  Prezact wording is:

"States shall not place nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in orbit or on celestial bodies or station them in outer space in any other manner"

Which is how ballistic missiles are legal - they don't attack from space, they attack through space (i.e., they never achieve orbit, even if they do leave the atmosphere).

I'm still not entirely certain what the aim is with this new Space Corps, but then, it's above my pay grade.