Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

Fuel indicator question

I discovered in an old avionics file a fuel indicator section and I remembered that an old Tu-16 cockpit, even if it seems to have on board the fuel indicator, it won't move a bit to show me if it works. How do they work, how are they connected to the cockpit 3D model ? Can I make it work putting them together if I have just a fuel indicator section from another avionics  and a cockpit that shows the fuel ? Can anyone help me please ?

And if you get an answer to that, can you tell me how to put a fuel indicator on the HUD, please?

Of course I will, but for now there are things which I don't understand how they work cause I don't have the insight info yet. However some progress, on my own, I already made. The cockpit in question is one modified from a A-6A plane, from WOV. I look into WOV files and  and compared the cockpit.ini I have and the original one for an A-6A. They look identical except the sizes of the cockpit model, the original one is almost  half bigger. I tested the original A-6A in WOV and the fuel indicator works. The puzzling thing is that even if they have the same files, the same configuration (cockpit.ini files I mean) the fuel needle won't move in my cockpit, in WOI game. I checked and overchecked each line in the cockpit.ini and I don't get it why won't work. Maybe someone will give me a hint or a clue.

I had an idea and it took me to some serious conclusions. I renamed the Tu-16 cockpit and replaced the one in WOV, for A-6A and, surprise, it WORKED. So either the new engine of WOI doesn't support anymore old cockpits (it doesn't know how to link things in old cockpits) orrr I am still missing something. I could use some help, really.

Edited by UllyB

I dug further for the last two hours...In A-6A cockpit LOD there are leads to three entries which are readable (LOD file is a binary file) which could give a clue of what's going on between the cockpit.ini file and the cockpit LOD itself, one is the name of the fuel panel bitmap (fuel_quality.bmp), the second is the fuel panel needle node (needle_fuel_quality) and the third is a mistery and is nowhere to be found into the cockpit folder (I looked into original A-6A cockpit's folder, too): it's called "guage_fuel_quantity". I looked into cockpit.ini file, there is no line regarding that either. I looked through other planes cockpit.ini files, some which have a fuelgauge line but I don't know how to fit it into the cockpit file I have. I'm thinking that if I can invent a line/section where to have that "guage_fuel_quantity" wonder word, it will work, but I don't know where and how. Maybe someone will help.

Edited by UllyB

The mesh called "guage_fuel_quantity" is the parent component which is the instrument mesh itself.  As you correctly wrote the needle is the "needle_fuel_quantity" which actually makes the movement.

Based on the cockpit.ini the bellow are the related entries

Instrument[027]=FuelIndicator

[FuelIndicator]
Type=INETERNAL_FUEL_QUANTITY_INDICATOR
NodeName=needle_fuel_quality
MovementType=ROTATION_Z
ValueUnit=LB
Set[01].Position=0.0
Set[01].Value=0.0
Set[02].Position=270.0
Set[02].Value=10000.0

I don't have the Tu16 pit so can not give you a hint which mesh you should use to properly show the fuel levels. I do not think you can use instruments from two separate _pit.lods in a single cockpit. You can put in fake items but those will not move/react in any way.
  • Like 1

Sooo that was the thing with the third... Thanks for explanations, I was getting crazy wondering what is all about. Yes the cockpit lines for fuel are exactly those. Aaaa i think I was in the error in the first place about the origin of the cockpit. The cockpit.ini file for Tu-16 and the one for A-6A are the same, identical, I mistakenly measured the A-6A main  LOD instead of the cockpit LOD and I said that they don't match. So bottom line, it's the same cockpit, but the fuel indicator doesn't work in WOI. In WOV, using the A-6A, it works. Could be the updated engine of WOI which would make fuel indicator to fail ? Or could be the fact that the WOI updated engine won't allow OLD aircraft to show correct the fuel consumption ? It really consumes me that I can't make it work.

PS - I already did that, load just 25% to see if it works. And, of course , it doesn't. I even tweaked the 10000lbs to a smaller amount to be easy and I even changed in options fuel to HARD.

Edited by UllyB

I transferred an A-6A from WOV to WOI. Well, the fuel indicator WORKS. But if I use JUST the cockpit for another plane, which I got in WOI, it doesn't. I really feel frustration.

I tried, The needle stays to zero this time, so in WOI it's not changed. Before that I did another thing: I put the cockpit and the cockpit.ini file to a WOI  "native", an A-4E '73 Ahit and it worked. but on this damn Tu-16 plane refuses to work. Grrrr...

So, no matter how improbable is, it must be a relation between the cockpit LOD and the plane's LOD, cause the WOI game engine thing I ruled it out with the A-4E '73 Ahit example. I wish I knew TK phone number....lol

Edited by UllyB

I tested with a stock A6 pit and works fine in WOI the only thing you have to do is to adjust the parameters for fuel quantity like this:

Set[01].Position=0.0
Set[01].Value=0.0
Set[02].Position=270.0
Set[02].Value=83700.0  <-------

wow man you're a life saviour! THANK YOU for your effort and tenacity, I wish I had it! So it's all about proportions....The value of the needle in units correspond to 100% value of the fuel loaded, when fuel is 100%. I guess then you took the easiest route and looked when the clock was "set" for 50% fuel. BRILLIANT!! Thank you once again!

Something similar  :blush:

Do not worry, time and practice will bring you there. Yes, values usually set the different conditions and positions that should be manifested in game.

Your welcome and happy flying!

• Like 1

So, is there a way to get a digital fuel quantity readout on the HUD?

So when are you going to crack the mid air refueling collumdrum ..probably when I learn how to spell.