I'm working on more detailed, historic A-6 Decals. I've set the numbers in the editor, I select 407 in preflight, but it always shows 307. I have a numbers list in the skin folder all set to 4xx... Just not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Here's my WIP A-6A from VA-65 circa 1966.

post-6467-0-42268600-1501124294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nefarious

The name of the decal correspond with the number of the aircraft?

For example, we suppose the first decal name is VA65_000

That give something like this:

Decal name           Aircraft number

VA65_000              400

VA65_001              401

VA65_002              402

VA65_003              403

VA65_004              404

VA65_005              405

VA65_006              406

VA65_007              407

etc, etc

Is only a example

Do the decals you are refering have the 4xx codex?

regula50 pointed the sequence needed for the numbers to show properly BUT did you do new decals for the 4xx numbers? You not only need to change the numbers in the .ini but you need to redo the decals too... 

Do the decals you are refering have the 4xx codex?

regula50 pointed the sequence needed for the numbers to show properly BUT did you do new decals for the 4xx numbers? You not only need to change the numbers in the .ini but you need to redo the decals too... 

I was under the impression the game had 400 series decals, I guess that's where I'm lost. I thought they had 100-800? The 407 is available from the ingame drop down, and I can select 407 on any other default Intruder Skin and it shows. 

Sorry to be so confused, I'm still pretty new to this despite owning the game forever lol.

Sometimes they are already done and sometimes not :)

It's not that hard to do. You will find that doing skins might be headaches sometimes but when everything is done and work properly you will have great satisfaction.

I'm considering myself new to this also :) But the learning will never stop and will get better and better.

easiest ways to avoid the problem are:

1) extract the 400 series modex from the object cat (if available), place them in the /*name-of-skin*/D/ folder

adjust pathways to suit, adjust numberlist ini, and "randomization" in the textureset ini

2) make the specific modex number decals yourself, and place them in the /*name-of-skin*/D/ folder

adjust pathways to suit, adjust numberlist ini, and "randomization" in the textureset ini

over the years, I've found having EVERYTHING you need specific to the aircraft, eliminates confusion and screwups caused by using the "direct call" from the cat files.

easiest ways to avoid the problem are:

1) extract the 400 series modex from the object cat (if available), place them in the /*name-of-skin*/D/ folder

2) make the specific modex number decals yourself, and place them in the /*name-of-skin*/D/ folder

over the years, I've found having EVERYTHING you need specific to the aircraft, eliminates confusion and screwups caused by using the "direct call" from the cat files.

D folder...

Is that required? I haven't created a D folder for any of my projects yet. They all reside directly in the name of skin folder. VA-65, VMA-225, V-55, etc...

old habits from SF1 (name-of-aircraft, name-of-skin, D, all the tgas); makes for a 'cleaner' install. Of course, it don't really matter as long as the pathways are consistent.

Sometimes, when I use a pool of generic serial numbers, and/or plane-in-squadron letters, I'll have those in the main name-of-aircraft folder, and specific squadron codes in their name-of-squadron folders. It all depends on one's mood at the time!  :biggrin:

decals.jpg