NIELS

Is there a max limit of entries in the XXX_Types.ini files?

I understand there is a limit in xxx_targets.ini of 999 but is there a limit in the xxx_types.ini ie. (Korea3_types.ini) files also?

Thanks, NIELS

dont know about the types ini, but i have taken the squadronlist.ini up to 2999 with ill no effects. to test make 1000 blank (only the header, no info lines below) then make a 1001 entry of your choice

for GP info, i took the squadronlist up that high to set aside blocks for different nations or types of units (South Vietnamese AF, USAF Fighter Interceptor Squadrons etc). that might help you in organizing what you have going on

edit: you might want to try that with the targets as well

Edited by daddyairplanes

It would be safe to make the assumption (oh! that word!) that the same 999 limit would apply to the _types. Nobody's ever had to go that high, so we don't know.

OK - thanks much for the feedback. Don't know if Im doing something wrong but my types are in the 1500 range (needs some cleaning up). All show when in game but not when trying to select in Mue's target area editor? I think I've asked this before but are objects available in the cat files the only usable items when placing/viewing objects in his program? Why don't many user made objects/types appear in the drop down lists?

I have objects in the targets.ini and types.ini that appear in sim but not in Mue's editor..............confused?  

Hate to drag this out but is there an easy way to re-number the types list when changes are made? Something I'm missing in a word editor program or other?

Thanks,  NIELS

Edited by NIELS

I know for a fact, some objects simply don't show up. These are usually those called from the /GroundObjects subfolders (example: some trucks never showed when placed via the TAE, but showed in-game). Other times, other objects don't show their textures, bu DO in game.

I've (pretty much) never had an issue with "terrain objects" (buildings and such) when said items are resident in the /name-of-terrain's folder.

as to renumbering, only by diligent watching, and gazillions of time rechecking the numerical sequence (and yes, even I've made that mistake)

as you can see in the screenshot below, there are PLENTY of non-stock items on this airfield

tae view.jpg

Thanks Wrench - i'll try dwindling down the Types items to the 999 number and see what happens. I know there are some duplicates that could be removed...................Not looking forward to the renumbering aspect of the trimmed types.ini = UGHHHH!!!

Much appreciated,  NIELS

• Like 1

Niels, I have created an arsenal of helpful tools for this series, some private and some public.   Anyway, I thought the limit for target limitations was also 999.  But more importantly perhaps for you, is that I have a development tool with a built-in targets.ini renumbering function.  Feel free to PM me your file and perhaps it will save you a tremendous amount of time and effort...

post-13298-0-88476100-1501777309_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Its my Target_Types.ini that is the beast. I was just wondering if the types ini had the same 999 restriction/limit. Does your notepad program have the ability to re-number the types ini?

Thanks swambast

Yes, of course it does Niels...it can do both (e.g., renumber target entries and target types).