Sign in to follow this  
LondonDan

Cat File, what to do once extracted?

Hi all, need a bit of help with some modding I'm doing. The mod requires me to extract the data ini of a stock plane in this case the F4-E-75, so I can change a sound value which I have done, however what do I do with the now extracted CAT? Trying to launch my campaign now causes a game crash.

What have you done with your extracted data.ini file now?

If you think it's causing the game crash, try removing it to somewhere other than the game, such as the desktop.

Try the game.  If it still crashes, I'm guessing it isn't the data.ini file causing the problem.

Usually what you do with an extracted plane file is to put it in the plane's folder, ie. the F4-E-74 extracted/modified data.ini file will go in the F4-E-75 plane folder.

Ah got it all sorted now. I renamed the campaign DLL by accident. Mod working too, just needing clarification with regards to extracted plane CAT files, other sound mods only needed to be put into their respective mod folders. 

Here's a trick -- one we've been using since 2004 (when the first extractor was issued by TK):

create a "Extracted Cats" folder, like in the ***/***/Savedgames/ThirdWire folder.

direct the extractor to dump the extracted files into there. That way, there's no risk of "damaging" the actual game install, and you can then COPY/PASTE the relevant file into the (objects) folder, and make the modifications there. And still have the original file as a backup.

So i extract the CAT file into the mod folder? Then, leave it be? And the changes will take effect ? No need to compile it again into a whole Cat file?

sorry im new here :,) yea im late to the party

Yeah you can extract the contents into a mod folder and not have to make a new CAT file. It makes modding easy as you don't have to worry about messing  up  the game as you can just remove the file that's not working and the game will then work. And you also have the source files to modify that didn't work. Makes modding pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Read my post above, dated August 2017. Pretty straight forward

LOOK at the screenshot below, you'll notice a folder named "Extracted Files". 

Do something like that, and you can't fuck up the game mods folders

folder-1.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Yeah you can extract the contents into a mod folder and not have to make a new CAT file. It makes modding easy as you don't have to worry about messing  up  the game as you can just remove the file that's not working and the game will then work. And you also have the source files to modify that didn't work. Makes modding pretty good.

Good god you’ve provided me with a lot of support. I thank you so much !!

2 minutes ago, Malayan_Tiger said:

Good god you’ve provided me with a lot of support. I thank you so much !!

No problem!

6 hours ago, Wrench said:

Ive discover and eyeing your modifications on the AI behaviours recently ! And by the way, do you have any to share for an “essential tweak” for the AI? Ive only stumbled upon this one of yours https://combatace.com/forums/topic/70594-altering-ai-behaviour/?do=findComment&comment=552064

Edited by Wrench
Please do NOT quote posts with images still attached