Dutch_P47M

reduce the TAC size

Wow, Eric! Even I had forgotten that I ever knew - and even posted - this! Thank you - what a great service, Sir!

You're welcome. I typed "TAC" into the search box and hit return wasn't anything too demanding. :)

Wow you are lucky, I go to home>forums>over flanders fields, in the hope to get all the woff sections, use the search box on top, fill in the "tac" word and did recieve nothing  ;-)  

edit, I'm using the ipad  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

The device shouldn't matter. When using the search box make sure you select drop down menu and select "All Content" then enter your search phrase "TAC" and press enter or click the spyglass icon. You should get the same results as everyone else which would include the above referenced file and post.

E

I had selected "this forum" and "topics" ,  if opening the drop down these two do have an black V. 

If going straight to on subforum like home>forums>over flanders fields> off/woff 1 2 3 ue - general discussion , then it is working and I do have the search results.  Only now I do not see this forum in the search dropdown menu, so topics has been selected. 

So thats indicating the search does no work on the main Woff forum root!   

edit, To make sure it is not my fault, home>forum  same "tac"  I can not select this forum so only the big V on topics.  And now I do get search results.  So again it does not work on the main woff root.   

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I understand what you're saying. From a software logic point of view it works as intended.

By selecting "This Forum" and "Topics" the search pulls back all hits that would be in the OFF Root which is always going to nothing as the OFF Root is a forum that has no posts and no topics. It only holds sub forums which was excluded by the "This Forum" selection. Result=NULL

You're better off searching the entire board by just selecting "Topics" in this case which will pull back everything in all topics but because the search term "TAC" is pretty specific you can get to what you're after fairly easily.

STATUS: Working as intended though your argument stands for possible further development in the "fuzzy logic" department. IOW "This Forum" is a recursive lookup below "This Forum" and not held as strict.

Thanks for the report.

Same happen on the retired section!  here you can not be on the upper root and have to go through all the subforums to get the search results.  It would be very handy because some info is stored on multi subforums.  

The search feature is working as intended. If you select "This Forum" that means "This Forum ONLY" and so the search results are correct. If you want to search a forum and all sub sets of that forum then don't select "This Forum". You're asking me to rewrite logic so that the ONLY toggle can mean ANYTHING or SOMETHING SPECIFIC. In a binary world the choices are on or off, ONLY or NOT ONLY.

Sorry I'm not going to correct this forum nor defend on what I do noticed here, if you like this method then do what you please. I  still think it is now being rather complex for doing an quick search if wanting to get more  WoFF subforums included,  without the extra [un]check select handling that is normally only for the advanced search.   :dntknw:

Edited by Dutch_P47M

4 hours ago, Erik said:

... though your argument stands for possible further development in the "fuzzy logic" department.

If you need a tester for THAT department, I'd be the right man, Eric!

In my early school days I had to solve a mathematic text question:

"If 3 workers dig a ditch with a length of 8 meters, a width of 2 meters and a depth of 3 meters in 4 hours - how long would 8 workers need
for a ditch with a length of 10 meters, a width of 3 meters and a depth of 4 meters?"

My reply was:

"This cannot be answered in any mathematical correct way, if you ever watched how often workers are standing leaning on their shovels, chatting;
how often they drink a beer inbetween two shoveling phases, and then they will maybe eat their breakfast bread at some point."

2 hours ago, Dutch_P47M said:

Sorry I'm not going to correct this forum nor defend on what I do noticed here, if you like this method then do what you please. I  still think it is now being rather complex for doing an quick search if wanting to get more  WoFF subforums included,  without the extra [un]check select handling that is normally only for the advanced search.   :dntknw:

I said I'll look into it. What more do you want? I have a ton of things I'm working on at the moment and this is on the list it's just not going to be something I do right away. I tried to explain to you how things work but you're taking it personally. There's no reason for that in the slightest.

"If 3 workers dig a ditch with a length of 8 meters, a width of 2 meters and a depth of 3 meters in 4 hours - how long would 8 workers need to build a house with 4 walls 4 meters high and a roof?"

Easy question really ....

Simple. As long as it takes Santa Claus to gather snow balls for the summer picnic.