Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Weapons and airplanes failures?

Been reading a lot of Iranian use of Tigers, Phantoms (both D and E) and Tomcats during the war with Iraq during the 80's, and I learned the number of failed attacks caused by failures in the airplanes, there are avionics failures like radars refusing to work, mechanical problems like broken refueling probes or exploding engines or even weapon problems, AIM-54's that once launched convert themselves into a very expensive dumb bomb dropping like a stone to the ground, failing to explode bombs, etc... I know post iranian revolution planes were poor mantained and not comparable to USN birds, but some failures can be experimented in Us birds too, after all they have spare during combat missions for the case of malfunctions.

My question is, is possible to have random failures during the game? avionics, mechanical, weapons... that would add a lot of fun to the engagements, stalling engines, dropping missiles, dud bombs...

• Like 1

Some of that is simulated, some can't be at the current patch level (and given it's what, 4 years old now? probably won't be).  For example, missiles do come off stupid.  The more modern the missile, the more un-likely it will come off the jet and just drop away, but play with older model missiles and its much more noticeable (e.g., AIM-7E, AIM-9B, hell even the AIM-54A - I've lost 3 of 6 before to coming off the rail dumb).  This is defined in the LaunchReliability line of the data.ini.  Guns will also jam.  It seems (but I cannot confirm) that increased g while firing leads to an increased likelihood of the gun jamming.  The Vulcan is pretty reliable, but on the F-8, if I try firing at high-g (like in reality), I'll usually get a gun jam.  I've also had plenty of smart bombs and guided air-to-ground weapons fail as well.

In terms of avionics failures, mechanical failures, engine stalls, etc, the only thing I'm aware of is over-g and over-speed.  If you load way too much "g" on the aircraft, especially beyond the StructuralFactor (typically 1.5), the aircraft can lose components to overstress.  It becomes more prominent when the aircraft is damaged already.  In terms of over-speed, your engines will catch fire if you stay too fast for too long.  Apart from that, I'm not aware of any specific ways to simulate system failures other than commenting out their data lines in the .ini prior to booting the game.

13 hours ago, Stratos said:

... I know post iranian revolution planes were poor mantained and not comparable to USN birds, but some failures can be experimented in Us birds too, after all they have spare during combat missions for the case of malfunctions.

Hard to agree. I had chance last year to talk with someone who was working on Phantom maintenance during war...As hard it can be during war he was claiming that birds were maintained properly.and extremely well. Problem was with spare parts. But they never alowed to go with not fixed aircraft. Rather was grounded and waiting for spares...which makes sense..keep aircraft grounded rather than loose due to stupid system failure.

I've noticed the high speed problems while flying the MiG-25, caught fire once. Not sure about high-G factor, will have to try once my plane is damaged by enemy fire. Is a pity we cannot have compressor stalls, would be a nice feature getting the higher temps, having to throttle back, or restart the engine..., same for certain engine flameouts, a real pity, wish TK still work on such aspects of the game.

Regarding the weapons, is there any place that explains this entries? I tried in knowledge base without luck. Is possible to simulate dud bombs?

Accuracy=80

LockonChance=85
LaunchReliability=80

NoiseRejection=80.000000
CapabilityFlags=0x00400008

EODisplayFlags=0
CEP=10.000000

Thanks!

3 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

Hard to agree. I had chance last year to talk with someone who was working on Phantom maintenance during war...As hard it can be during war he was claiming that birds were maintained properly.and extremely well. Problem was with spare parts. But they never alowed to go with not fixed aircraft. Rather was grounded and waiting for spares...which makes sense..keep aircraft grounded rather than loose due to stupid system failure.

I was refering to period during the revolution and 1981, where many of the technician and flying crews were imprisoned, and mantenaince errors were relatively common, read several times think like radars getting down, refuelling probes not taking fuel, bombs unarmed by ground crews... I know everything imrpoved later, have the war book by Tom Cooper and the Osprey ones. Is in fact a overlooked war I think, but one can learn a lot of the missions fought by both sides.

If there is a way somehow to open DLL files I guess and view edit and add functions and methods inside, then yeah we can expand that I guess.

1 hour ago, R102Delphinus said:

If there is a way somehow to open DLL files I guess and view edit and add functions and methods inside, then yeah we can expand that I guess.

Is there a way. But not in my hands.

3 hours ago, Stratos said:

Is there a way. But not in my hands.

The way I thought about it ,If there is...we can technically reverse engineer some avionics codes to make Eastern Avionics...regarding your thought we can possibly add a reliability modifier in the function of the engines in the DLL then that modifier should correspond reliability line in the engine part of the plane Data.ini...

15 minutes ago, R102Delphinus said:

The way I thought about it ,If there is...we can technically reverse engineer some avionics codes to make Eastern Avionics...regarding your thought we can possibly add a reliability modifier in the function of the engines in the DLL then that modifier should correspond reliability line in the engine part of the plane Data.ini...

Wish it was so easy, but for that we would need to hack the exe, and will be a lot easier If we have the source code. AFAIK no one knows how to hack the exe.