Geezer

New Aircraft

I know, Geezer. I was referring to the previous two pictures of your model. You do such fantastic 3d work. I know Quack is probably busy with other things, but he did beautiful work on the A Team model, I know he would skin yours to perfection, and Gambit as well. 

Started detailed textures this morning.

test-19.jpg

• Like 4

that detail on the engine valve train is amazing!!

• Like 1

Geezer, you are amazing. What a work of art. This beautiful aircraft needed your skills.

• Like 1

Thanks - the damn thing needed a good engine!  :biggrin:  Click shot for hi-res image.

test-20.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Talk about Hi Fidelity. You can tell that you love what you do. I don't even care if my system can run it.:biggrin: I'll just sit on the ground and "walk around" the thing.

• Haha 1

Progress shots - click to view hi-res images.

test-21.jpg

test-23.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Heck said:

My jaw just hit the desk. OMG!

Thanks.  More examples below - click for hi-res image.  It's taken me several years' worth of tinkering to figure out how to get good results in the First Eagles game world.  Second shot shows artwork for two different CR32 versions for China or Spain.  I'm working out painting techniques for the China version first, because one color is much easier than three colors.

test-2.jpg

Comparison.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 3

Over morning coffee, I thought I'd expand on making realistic artwork for aircraft.  Buried in most every aircraft production contract is an obscure section titled "Gaps and Seams."  A gap is the interval between the airframe and a removable panel or opening door.  A seam is the interval between two sections of skin attached to the airframe.  The section specifies the dimensional tolerances for both - clearly the interval between seams is much tighter than the interval for panels/doors.  Indeed, seams are so close together that the human eye cannot resolve the joint at the distance most computer game models are viewed at. 

There are always exceptions, but usually you do not want to paint lines on your artwork to show seams - only paint lines to show gaps.  Lots of pixels are mandatory so the artwork should be large enough to show gaps only one pixel wide.  Seams are realistically shown with changes in color or changes in lightness/darkness, not painted lines.  Click on shots below for hi-res image.

Comparison-1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very impressive, Geezer - top shelf stuff.  It's so well done I might have second thoughts about squeezing the trigger when I've got your model in my gunsight!

1 hour ago, Silberpfeil said:

Very impressive, Geezer - top shelf stuff.  It's so well done I might have second thoughts about squeezing the trigger when I've got your model in my gunsight! 

Not to worry - it'll shoot back! :biggrin:   Click shots for hi-res images.

test-25.jpg

test-26.jpg

test-27.jpg

test-28.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5

First flight!  VonS sent me a test FM last night, so I built a new folder this morning with the new model.  Still lots of tweaking needed, but the damn thing works!  :biggrin:

Click shots for hi-res image.

img00015.JPG

img00011.JPG

img00021.JPG

img00025.JPG

img00020.JPG

img00019.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 7

Making some specific color schemes - samples below.  Click shots for hi-res image.

img00003.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00076.JPG

img00081.JPG

• Like 5

Can't wait to see this one ready to download. Great work ! Just beautiful. 

Has anyone experimented with mixed formations?  I just read that most Jastas operated a mixture of Albatross and Pfalz aircraft - very few units were completely equipped with the Pfalz.  Figuring out mixed formations would also pay dividends when the Caudron R.11 is finished - they could be mixed with Brequet 14 bombers.

There would be an additional benefit to using multiple versions of one aircraft - Pfalz DIII-01, Pfalz DIII-02, Pfalz DIII-03, etc - in mixed formations, each with different markings.  Tiny, low-res decals look...um...er...less than stellar when applied to hi-res skins.  Painting the aircraft's markings into the artwork looks more realistic.  Click shot for hi-res image.

test-30.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

VonS has developed an outstanding FM for the Pfalz - the aircraft take off smartly and climb quickly.  I've gotten a good start on another color scheme.  Click shots for hi-res image.

img00002.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00007.JPG

img00028.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 6

Quack74 is busy with Real Life, so I've started work to finish the Junkers' skins.  Click shot for hi-res image.

test-4.jpg

test-5.jpg

test-6.jpg

• Like 7

This morning, I finished the camo and started the markings.  Click shots for hi-res images.

test-4.jpg

test-5.jpg

test-6.jpg

test-7.jpg

test-8.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 8

Back to working details on the Pfalz.  As usual, click shot for hi-res image.

test-31.jpg

• Like 8