Geezer

New Aircraft

Ah! "The Blue Max" again! :biggrin:
I suppose it was this replica that was used when shooting a film as "Bruno Stachel's plane"?

9870.thumb.jpg.0dc1a2616be2ec7f3d08c842dd813d94.jpg

The film is not about airplanes (although they are there enough) but about people. About friendship. About love. About duty.  About honor ...

The same "Ases high" from hairy years for me as something more spectacular than "Fly Boys" with all its explosions and a crowd of red-winged triplanes. Not convincingly!
That is, 100 small beautifully shot-pieces, combined together - still do not guarantee a spectacular movie. (Actually, this is exactly what our ex-clipmakers "directors" do not understand).
In the network has wandered clip sliced from the "FB" on the "Nightwish" music. If you watched the clip, it means that you saw the whole movie and you don't need to go to the cinema anymore.)))
With "The Blue Max" such a trick will not work. Because this is MOVIE.

14 hours ago, Crawford said:

Ah! "The Blue Max" again! :biggrin:
I suppose it was this replica that was used when shooting a film as "Bruno Stachel's plane"?

9870.thumb.jpg.0dc1a2616be2ec7f3d08c842dd813d94.jpg

The film is not about airplanes (although they are there enough) but about people. About friendship. About love. About duty.  About honor ...

The same "Ases high" from hairy years for me as something more spectacular than "Fly Boys" with all its explosions and a crowd of red-winged triplanes. Not convincingly!
That is, 100 small beautifully shot-pieces, combined together - still do not guarantee a spectacular movie. (Actually, this is exactly what our ex-clipmakers "directors" do not understand).
In the network has wandered clip sliced from the "FB" on the "Nightwish" music. If you watched the clip, it means that you saw the whole movie and you don't need to go to the cinema anymore.)))
With "The Blue Max" such a trick will not work. Because this is MOVIE.

Hello flyers,

As far as I know there were two replicas of the Pfalz. D.IIIa used for The Blue Max; one was made of wood but pilots complained that it twisted too much in flight (this is of course a criticism of the replica - and probably can't be applied as a comment to the original Pfalz D.III/IIIa of 1917...although there are reports that the tail section on the original Pfalz D.III/IIIa would "twist" if left too long in damp conditions). The other replica for the movie had a steel tube fuselage but wooden wings, basically a "hidden" Tiger Moth (the fuselage was therefore longer than on a real Pfalz...apparently it flew well, with heavy controls).

I have no idea which of the two replicas is in the beautiful pic. above...possibly the Pfalz Moth? :biggrin:

Von S

Edited by VonS
Added comments.
  • Like 2

I want to say the one in the picture is the "flexible" Phalz. I am a fan of " The Max", and it still amazes me these two movie birds have lasted over half a century. 

1370321.jpg

Blenheim05_Stefan_Pfalz.JPG

• Like 2

Making good progress on the skins - they are nearly finished.  Then, LODs and cockpit.  This illustrates why I don't release more aircraft.  Making the aircraft model and skins - the fun part - is only 50% of the required effort.

img00102.JPG

img00105.JPG

img00108.JPG

img00113.JPG

• Like 7

She's going to be a beauty, Geezer. Thanks for all your hard work.

Got George Peppard working this morning.  He may need a bit more work.  As usual, click shots for hi-res image.

img00015.JPG

img00024 (2).JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

Got George Peppard working this morning.  He may need a bit more work.  As usual, click shots for hi-res image.

As like as two peas in a pod! :biggrin:

21751528.jpg

very cool now all we need is the rest of the A teams faces LOL

22 minutes ago, gambit168 said:

very cool now all we need is the rest of the A teams faces LOL

Fool!  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Gesamtgewicht

t is missing, I'd say...

Benzinetank -  delete e

:declare:

The crate is looking :good:

• Like 2

Hello everybody! I see Geezer has rather hard work. And results of these work on screenshots are fantastic!

Good luck, Geezer!

On 10/20/2017 at 12:38 PM, Crusader said:

Gesamtgewicht

t is missing, I'd say...

Benzinetank -  delete e

:declare:

The crate is looking :good:

Fixed it - thanks for catching that.

Finished the LODs and pretty much finished the silver-gray fuselage art, but still gotta finish the wings art and make the cockpit.  Shots below are of an experiment - the silver fuselage was converted to red to see how it looks.  As usual, click on shots for hi-res images.

test-34.jpg

img00041.JPG

img00085.JPG

• Like 4

Got a good start on the lozenge camo for the wings.  Click for hi-res images.

img00004.JPG

img00027.JPG

img00032.JPG

img00109.JPG

• Like 7

You're a true artist, Geezer. :clapping:

[Aside] However, there is every reason to believe that the pilot, who sat in the fully open cockpit, would have protected his eyes with glasses. ;)

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

You're a true artist, Geezer. :clapping:

[Aside] However, there is every reason to believe that the pilot, who sat in the fully open cockpit, would have protected his eyes with glasses. ;)

True.  But then you could not recognize George Peppard.  :biggrin:

test-35.jpg

• Like 4

Been taking some mood shots for the intro screens.

img00035.JPG

img00030.JPG

img00016.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 8

Also been tinkering with the Caudron R11, and have a question for experts on French WW1 camo.  Note the metal fittings in the shot of the M-S Type AI - is the blue-gray paint typical?

img00002.JPG

img00020.JPG

ms_type_a1_09_of_14.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 6

I'm no expert, but having looked at a number of photos of museum restorations, I'd have to say no, it's not standard. Other restored AI's are gray paint on those fittings.

I stopped being lazy and got out some of my references.  I found some digital RGB numbers for French camo colors, so I can alter the camo when I resume work on the R11.  I also found out that horizon-blue was frequently used as a primer on many metal fittings.  BUT, not all manufacturers used horizon-blue as a primer, so the variation in museum restorations would seem to be historically accurate!  I still don't know if Caudron used horizon-blue, or some other color.

ms_type_a1_05_of_14.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

I love how much you get into your subject, Geezer. You love your details, that's why your work is so good.

• Like 3

Disregard above question about R11 horizon-blue fittings.  The answer - YES - was buried deep in a section I did not read thoroughly.

• Like 1

Well done, Geezer, VonS and Quack74!!! The work you have displayed for us here looks amazing! The Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa looks expecially sweet to me since they are two of my absolute favorite WWI aircrafts. :)

Thanks for doing this, guys! It's really appreciated! :D

• Like 2

Took a break from the Pfalz and Caudron, and started a Nieuport 17/24 - 24 is shown below.

test-3.jpg

test-4.jpg

test-5.jpg

• Like 6