Geezer

New Aircraft

Looking awesome, guys! Both the N.17 and the pilots! :)

Happy hollidays from Sweden!

12391235_10153588066883113_1781118960990118373_n.jpg

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to you too!  Some ingame shots of a French paint job.

img00030.JPG

img00063.JPG

img00059.JPG

img00062.JPG

• Like 7

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

I hope you have a great time. All the best, gentlemen!

First of all, I wish u very good health. Secondly, I wish you good luck in life. At last, my third wish is the strength for all your hard work!

Happy hunting,

Jackson M :smile:

Wallpapers-Of-Christmas.thumb.jpg.b90df42ae49ddbb2f05ca536465a7cb7.jpg

• Like 4

With time off for Christmas, VonS and I have gotten a lot done with improved files and models.  Progress shots below of the N17, plus some shots of contemporary rotary-powered aircraft - rotary engines were filthy!

24212942583_06bb62aca5_b.jpg

24361891764_38df037a6a_b.jpg

img00010.JPG

img00018.JPG

img00014.JPG

img00015.JPG

img00020.JPG

img00022.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Progress on detailing the front fuselage and Vickers gun.

shot-4.jpg

• Like 7

Ingame shots of Nieuport 17 progress.

img00005.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00013.JPG

img00014.JPG

img00027.JPG

img00028.JPG

img00019.JPG

• Like 8

More test shots...

img00017.JPG

img00019.JPG

img00022.JPG

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, whiteknight06604 said:

Amazing work. 

Thanks - just an old geezer puttering around in his digital garage.  :biggrin:

VonS and I are working on extensive improvements to a bunch of Nieuports.  I noticed you released a mod pack some time ago that added a Lewis gun to already existing Nieuport aircraft.  Would you be interested in making a new version of your old pack, using our new models, art, and files?

shot-3.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry, I don't want to be picky, but I think your model is a Nieuport 23,  instead the Nieuport 17. The 17 one had the vickers at the centre while the 23 had the vickers slightly startboard. Nevertheless, a very good work!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ojcar said:

Sorry, I don't want to be picky, but I think your model is a Nieuport 23,  instead the Nieuport 17. The 17 one had the vickers at the centre while the 23 had the vickers slightly startboard. Nevertheless, a very good work!

Factually incorrect.  The first French synchronizer to see widespread service was the Alkan-Hamy gear, available just in time for installation in Nieuport 17s in mid-1916.  The Alkan-Hamy's cam follower was offset to the right, so the gun had to be mounted slightly to the right.  The British used several other synchronizer gear systems, such as Vickers-Challenger or Sopwith-Kauper, so other types WERE installed but the offset Alkan-Hamy was the factory standard for the N17.

First shot below shows the Alkan-Hamy gear, but with a British Hyland Type A cocking handle.

0n17b.jpg

Nieuport_cockpit.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, my Windstock datafile is wrong. It's difficult to have good books about WWI planes. The info varies greatly depending the book.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ojcar said:

So, my Windstock datafile is wrong. It's difficult to have good books about WWI planes. The info varies greatly depending the book.

LOL!  Don't feel bad, the MG position drove me crazy when I first began researching Nieuports.  The confusion probably started with the British Nieuports not always being supplied with guns, and sometimes not even engines.  With so many British machines using centrally-mounted guns, it was easy to assume the central location was "normal."  You probably have the drawing below, showing the offset position.

22-1[2].jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gterl said:

Nice Italian skin..Fulco would be proud of it

Yup, it looks good over your Italian map! :biggrin:

img00021.JPG

• Like 4

Over the Alps...

img00004.JPG

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00005.JPG

img00006.JPG

• Like 8

Progress shots for color schemes:

shot-6.jpg

shot-7.jpg

shot-8.jpg

shot-9.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

:stars:

When, Lord? When? When's gonna be this time? :clapping:

Edited by Crawford

Pure eye candy, Geezer! Well done! It looks great! :D

1 hour ago, Verdun said:

Pure eye candy, Geezer! Well done! It looks great! :D

Its not just eye candy. :biggrin:  The new models are being developed in close cooperation with VonS's new FMs and other upgrades.  We have found that many of the early FE/FEG models benefit from upgrading to FE2.  Sample of VonS detail below for the Junkers J.1 which eventually wound up having historically accurate wing vibration problems.

Hard at work on the FM already, here's a breakdown so far of things done and needing work...for those in the loop who like reading this stuff.

- about 2m/s climb rate achieved - with ratio of 700kg empty weight to 150,000 units of engine output at SL (will test at historical empty weight too of 1700kg and engine output of 250,000 to 300,000 to see what happens)

- have limited the elevator delta pitch and pitch rate values for the AI, otherwise they are too aggressive and stall this beast (AI now flies the plane well, is careful with the elevators!)

- had to change overall armor setting from aluminum to wood, with value of 27 for hardness (this is good); aluminum at values of 21 or 22, even as low as 17, becomes too heavy on the type; I clad the fuselage with aluminum though, thickness value of 2 works well and makes it nearly impenetrable by .303 caliber stuff

- aileron sensitivity now reduced, slow and sloppy (as historical)

- removed lights, tail hook, other stuff relevant to Baffin but not to the Junkers

- elevators now somewhat sensitive but more dampened than before

- rudder slow to react, minimally effective but helpful for tighter turns when coordinated with ailerons

----

- must remove entries for ailerons on lower left/right wings since no lower ailerons on the Junkers

- perhaps lower yaw dampening to about 0.25, have it now at about 0.45

- possibly increase rudder mobility to value of +/- 23 (is now at about +/-18); will tweak this to see what gives more realistic rudder response, in conjunction with yaw dampening tweaks

- will double-check bouncy wheels problem when type is at rest on airfield; maybe problem is asymmetry in castering wheel value (fixed previously on the Halb. D5)

-----

- historical RPMs now on the engine of about 1400 to 1800, idle 100 to 200, engine is Daimler 200, other engine info such as gas pressure, oil, etc., taken from same engine type on the Austrian Alby. 153b (Jan Tuma's model)

- prop diameter around 2.9 or 2.95 now, slightly longer than on the Alby. 153b (was about 2.8 meters there)...will see if this is historical

- top speed is now about 162kph near sea level (will see if I can push this down further to about 155kph for the 200hp variant, and maybe leave it at 162 or so for a "220hp" variant since some of these types got the 220hp Daimler from what I remember reading)

- fiddled with inertia values in relation to empty weight (now reduced), but may increase inertia values slightly if experiment is successful with historical empty weight of 1700kg or so...currently an empty weight of anything higher than about 1000kg gives nasty wing vibrations at the tips, as if plane is in perpetual stall...will possibly be offset through higher engine output...

Von S

test-8.jpg

• Like 6

Sorta/kinda realistic artwork takes a long time.  Progress shots below.

img00003.JPG

img00004.JPG

• Like 7

Excuse me, but... is this the final version of the Nieuport's tail section?
As you know (of course, you know!), the elevator control wires were located the same way as in this photo. Can this be implemented on your beautiful model?

2210_900.jpg.be6fb05c68f68b446b361dc8e44ac9a4.jpg

• Like 2