Geezer

New Aircraft

Shots of WIP Pfalz DIIIa.

img00008.JPG

img00010.JPG

img00012.JPG

img00004.JPG

• Like 9

A few more shots.  Some were taken using DX9 and some were taken using DX11.  Doesn't seem to make any difference, so I'm going to resume experimenting with SweetFX.

img00003 (5).JPG

img00052.JPG

img00020.JPG

img00035.JPG

img00030.JPG

img00034.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work, Geezer! I so look forward to trying these birds out! :D

4 hours ago, Verdun said:

Beautiful work, Geezer! I so look forward to trying these birds out! :D

WIPs of the Pfalz and Nieuport are posted on the previous page.  Mike Dora, VonS, and several other guys are carefully revising and testing new files for these aircraft, eliminating a lot of rough edges that have accumulated over the years.  The goal is to produce a unified series of aircraft and file mods that live up to FE2's potential.

shot-6.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 11

Been busy with Real World stuff, but squeezed in some work on the Pfalz DIII (not DIIIa).  The LODs now show up at a distance - WIP below.

Pfalz DIII.rar

img00044.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I like very much thanks for your time it is most appreciated.

For those who have downloaded Geezer's lovely Pfalz D.III WIP (also the D.IIIa on the Screenshots thread)...the info. below might come in handy as you fly these Pfalzes and learn their peculiarities.

Von S :smile:

Tips:

- watch tight turns that drop below about 110kph (might drop into a spin...using rudder in the direction of the tight turn might drop you into a spin even if you're as high as 120-130kph)

- take offs are best around 115-120kph in both variants; use gentle movements of elevator

- loops are peculiar in the type with lots of coordination needed: in the D.3 get up to about 220-250kph in a dive before attempting a loop, be moderate on the back stick and then ease up towards the top of the loop and try to go over the top at no less than about 90-100kph...otherwise you will slip out of the loop at the top; for the D.3a with its 180 horses, it's good enough to get to about 200kph in a gentle dive before attempting a loop...same rules apply....be coordinated and gentle, otherwise you'll fall out of the loop literally :biggrin:

- try using opposite rudder to do a combo sideslip/tighter turn in the types....can be maintained for about 10-20 seconds before requiring that you level out

- she lands nicely but watch your engine management on takeoffs, also the tail skid; digging roughly into the dirt with the skid can sometimes spin you out on the ground, causing a crash, especially if you're above 50-60kph

- top speed on the D.III near sea level is about 170kph, top speed on the III.a is about 181kph (as historical)

- the III.a is slightly easier to handle in tight maneuvers (bigger elevator surface and more rounded contours to the edges of the bottom wings)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some ingame shots of the DIII (not DIIIa) that VonS describes above.

img00001.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

img00008.JPG

• Like 8

On 02.05.2018 at 9:53 PM, VonS said:

For those who have downloaded Geezer's lovely Pfalz D.III WIP (also the D.IIIa on the Screenshots thread)...

Did I miss something? Are they already available for download? Where, for example? :smile:

7 hours ago, Crawford said:

Did I miss something? Are they already available for download? Where, for example? :smile:

Don't you know, my friend? 

It's not a problem. You can take them here:

More precisely:

On 05.04.2018 at 9:07 PM, Geezer said:

Been busy with Real Life, but began to tweak the sky color using VonS' settings above.  I first went to my GPU control panel (NVIDIA GTX970, DX11) to fool around with gamma, brightness, contrast, etc.  First adjustment I tried was contrast, which made FE2 images look less flat.  First shot below is default contrast at 50%.  Second shot below, the only change is contrast increased to 90%.  The effects will vary from rig to rig because of differences in monitors, graphics cards, etc but I'll continue to post what I discover.

EDIT:  For those who want to experiment, below are my FLIGHT and WW1 ITALY game map files.  Also attached is the experimental Nieuport 28 for FE2.  Do NOT pester me about some stuff not working because it is still a WIP.  Also attached are new WW1 pilots.

img00001.JPG

img00013.JPG

My Flight.rar

My Italy.rar

WIP N28.rar

Pilots.rar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But that's not all. 

On 06.04.2018 at 5:47 AM, Geezer said:

Glad you like it. :biggrin:  There is still undeveloped potential in FE2, and several of us are working to see how much better we can make the sim.  Below are more WIP aircraft.

WIP Nieuport17c.rar

WIP Pfalz DIIIa.rar

WIP Nieuport17cLewis.rar

WIP Nieuport23.rar

WIP Pfalz D8.rar

WIP HalberstadtCLIV.rar

On 17.04.2018 at 10:09 AM, Geezer said:

It takes as much time to set up the files as it does to construct the models and skin them.  Mike Dora and VonS are busy fixing many subtle file problems left over from FE/FEG - these aircraft are for FE2.

Meanwhile, the aircraft are available as WIPs - note the files are still rough.

WIP Nieuport17c.rar

WIP Pfalz DIIIa.rar

D3a Templates.rar

N17 Templates.rar

Pilots.rar

But, to be honest, I also don't know where to get Pfalz D.III (not D.IIIa) :biggrin: 

Edited by JacksonM
  • Thanks 1

O-oops... :lol: 

Thank you, Crusader.

Thanks, comrades, for the links. :ty: I really missed a lot, waiting for these planes to appear in the download section. 

Yes, Geezer's models are truly magnificent. In order for them to become fully visible in my 1stGens, I need to process them with a file, but this is not a problem! :biggrin:

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 1

Still busy with the Real World, but spent the morning working on Breguet 14 gunner and armament.

shot-22.jpg

shot-21.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also, below is the VERY ROUGH Caudron R.11.  I "borrowed" Stephen1918's excellent Caudron G4 files, and substituted my R.11 model for his G.4 model.  Anyone interested in developing new ini files is welcome to try their hand.

img00034.JPG

WIP Caudron R11.rar

img00002.JPG

img00019.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Below are Lewis gun armed Nieuport 17 and 23 WIPs.

Lewis Gun Nieuports.rar

lewis.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A lot of thanks for these WIPs, Geezer!

By the way, what's the matter with old Junkers D.1? How are things going with it?

For those testing out Geezer's lovely WIP models for the Caudron R.11, also the Pfalz D.IIIa (not the D.III) - included below are the latest FM tweaks. The R.11 has a top speed of about 191kph near sea level - is fairly maneuverable too and can perform a modern Immelmann. Also included are some cockpit seating tweaks for the R.11. The D.IIIa file is not interchangeable with the Pfalz D.III (that download, in this thread, already contains the latest FM - the D.IIIa download is under the screenshots thread).

Von S :smile:

Edit: R.11 data ini has been removed, replaced with newer version posted below in this thread. Also removed is the Pfalz D.IIIa file. Please see the all-in-one download in this series of posts.

Edited by VonS
Removed obsolete files.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JacksonM said:

A lot of thanks for these WIPs, Geezer!

By the way, what's the matter with old Junkers D.1? How are things going with it?

I built it with the understanding that Quack74 would make the skins.  Unfortunately, real life got in his way and he had to give up modding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some more stats. for those enjoying Geezer's Pfalz D.8 WIP and its FM:

A lovely aircraft to fly, takes off well at around 100 kph, stall speed is around the low 70s kph. Top speed near sea level is about 193/4 kph, the climb rate in the 120s and 130s kph to about 3000m alt is excellent - about 5-6 m/s.

Avoid tight turns if slower than about 150kph however since she tends to slip out of a turn with the thin wings. Loops are easier than on the Pfalz D.3 (tighter loops possible), but be gentle on back stick anyway. Modern Immelmann's are easy to do on the type (the engine has more than enough power). Overall a more pleasant and powerful plane to fly than the Pfalz D.3/3a line, similar to the Triplane variant but not as quirky and with a slightly slower climb rate.

Slightly tougher to break than the Pfalz Triplane also...can do about 5.5 Gs as historical for these later war German types. Also, an excellent diver; I managed to get her up to about 450kph in a dive - as long as you exit the dive fairly gently you won't lose any pieces.

Ceiling is about 6000m on the type; the uncompressed Siemens-Halske has about 210hp max output (historically) at full throttle but even half throttle is significant, giving out around 130-150hp I'd say.

I doubt the D.8 (Pfalz) was used on the front any earlier than about Sept. of 1918 (I think a total of about 40 were made before the armistice) - so it should be set to rare or very_rare.

Note: the D.8 had several different power-plants installed, ranging from about 145hp to 200/210hp...this explains the different top speeds available for it all over the internet, from as low as the low 180s kph to about 190kph for the 160hp variant, etc. I've gone with an engined-up (uncompressed) variant for this particular FM.

Von S :flyer:

Edited by VonS
Added some more info.
  • Like 3

Here are some photos to expand on VonS' excellent research and FM work.  A Swedish replica builder is constructing an all-new D.8 the same way the originals were made and it will be powered by an original Siemens-Halske engine!  D.8s were issued in ones and twos to front line and home defense units in the Spring of 1918.  Paul Baumer, of Jasta Boelcke, obtained a D.8 in May per the Osprey pub Pfalz Scout Aces of WW1 which has a photo of two D.8s used by Jasta 29 alongside their Fokker D.7s.  Myself, I tend to agree with VonS and suspect D.8s were not operational until late summer/early autumn - but I've been wrong before! :biggrin:

Pfalz_DVIII_proj8.jpg.JPG

710cbb3a5ab74c65c6190990daf3b82c.jpg

1279e0e3f3730915d59ccd8dbf4d866c.jpg

pfalzd8_js29.jpg

37362f4888b07d39cf66183c355c8210.jpg

img00030.JPG

img00006.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

Assisting VonS and myself are two other guys with excellent backgrounds: Mike Dora and jeanba.  Jeanba is a consultant who has helped with structural and operational research, while Mike is a retired RAF squadron commander who is also active at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate New York.  Some shots and recent comments below:

"Well I hope it flies better than our Rhinebeck Caudron G.3. On a good day they get it to run straight down the field with 4-5 feet of daylight beneath the wheels. 

Actually this machine is the worst we have for ground handling. Those struts and booms may look delicate at a distance, but close up they are thick and heavy, the tail booms are like old-fashioned wooden clothes poles! Plus with the length of ground contact of those lower booms, it is a bit of a pig to manhandle."

Shameless plug: a new Sopwith Dolphin will be ready for their 2018 season, so if any fans are in upstate New York this summer, drop by the aerodrome. :biggrin:

21BFAA70-65F5-46C3-B4FE-8EBA919325E1.thumb.jpeg.4bdab1950325076a9097acd5aeff8f2b.jpeg.0d1d57de060bee3eaa5f79be70f4d9f9.jpeg

th.jpg.6f660b5f31fd79a85356eb41256b9bf8.jpg

th8ZT1JB57.jpg.f6c935b3993bafb3987fc0ca3403d2ba.jpg

B19A81BE-71A0-406A-9E01-FF4C1DE26821.jpeg.a547d5fe5354a03c186fcd66276ae94b.jpeg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, VonS said:

For those testing out Geezer's lovely WIP models for the Caudron R.11, also the Pfalz D.IIIa (not the D.III) - included below are the latest FM tweaks. The R.11 has a top speed of about 191kph near sea level - is fairly maneuverable too and can perform a modern Immelmann. Also included are some cockpit seating tweaks for the R.11.

R11latestFM.zip

Thank you. I will add that for more proper operation of the engines, some parameters in the "Engines" section of the DATA file should look like this:

// Engines ---------------------------------------------------------

[EngineL]

SpinnerNodeName=SpinPropHub

StaticPropNodeName=StaticPropL

SlowPropNodeName=SSpinProp01

FastPropNodeName=FSpinProp01

[EngineR]

SpinnerNodeName=Object52

StaticPropNodeName=StaticPropR

SlowPropNodeName=SSpinProp02

FastPropNodeName=FSpinProp02

Edited by Crawford