Geezer

New Aircraft

Beautiful pics. of the Pfalz D.VIII - also interesting is the four-bladed prop made by putting two two-bladed ones together. A couple of other pics. below - featuring a one-piece four-bladed prop, and a 160hp Siemens-Halske variant with a nose similar to the Siemens-Schuckert.

Von S

01_onepieceprop.jpg

02_notasiemensschuckert.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 20.05.2018 at 9:40 PM, Geezer said:

Also, below is the VERY ROUGH Caudron R.11.  I "borrowed" Stephen1918's excellent Caudron G4 files, and substituted my R.11 model for his G.4 model.  Anyone interested in developing new ini files is welcome to try their hand.

WIP Caudron R11.rar

In this thread there is a lull, it's time to make "easy modding" by adapting the received WIPs to my old good FE1.
God bless Geezer, for his planes fly in the 1st Generation without problems. This requires only the conversion of some files in other formats and minor "cosmetic" changes. But most of the time I had to spend on this Caudron R.11. Even in this incomplete state, the model looks amazing! I entered the correct Node names in the corresponding positions in the DATA.INI file, and the control surfaces started working. Only ailerons for some reason deflected simultaneously in one direction. I quickly realized how to fix it. ... But I really rack my brains over the rear gunner! He obstinately did not want to look back, but only forward. I tried many combinations, but this did not solve the problem. In the end, I found the solution almost by accident. But now the trouble is that, although both shooters now have the necessary viewing sectors, they very rarely attack the enemy. And even if they attack, flashes of their shots appear in the most unexpected positions around the aircraft. And this problem has not been solved yet. I’ll think of it all tomorrow )) Here is my preliminary, raw version of the DATA.INI - maybe someone will be interested.

Note. If someone wants to try this, do not forget to rename the aircraft's main folder to CaudronR11 so that the folder's name coincide with the name of the main INI file.

CaudronR11.rar

• Like 2

I'm pretty busy right now.  If you guys can cooperate and produce an FM that incorporates all of your fixes and improvements, I'll find the time to update the model and LODs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Geezer said:

I'm pretty busy right now.  If you guys can cooperate and produce an FM that incorporates all of your fixes and improvements, I'll find the time to update the model and LODs.

With the greatest pleasure! For some time, digging into the insides of my favorite game has become for me an even more fascinating occupation than the virtual flight itself. Of course, I can not compare with such a monster as Von S, but maybe I can also be useful. :biggrin:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crawford said:

With the greatest pleasure! For some time, digging into the insides of my favorite game has become for me an even more fascinating occupation than the virtual flight itself. Of course, I can not compare with such a monster as Von S, but maybe I can also be useful. :biggrin:

Yes, modding has a peculiar fascination doesn't it?  I hardly ever fly anymore.  My limited time is now spent developing and testing.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 11:51 AM, Crawford said:

In this thread there is a lull, it's time to make "easy modding" by adapting the received WIPs to my old good FE1.
God bless Geezer, for his planes fly in the 1st Generation without problems. This requires only the conversion of some files in other formats and minor "cosmetic" changes. But most of the time I had to spend on this Caudron R.11. Even in this incomplete state, the model looks amazing! I entered the correct Node names in the corresponding positions in the DATA.INI file, and the control surfaces started working. Only ailerons for some reason deflected simultaneously in one direction. I quickly realized how to fix it. ... But I really rack my brains over the rear gunner! He obstinately did not want to look back, but only forward. I tried many combinations, but this did not solve the problem. In the end, I found the solution almost by accident. But now the trouble is that, although both shooters now have the necessary viewing sectors, they very rarely attack the enemy. And even if they attack, flashes of their shots appear in the most unexpected positions around the aircraft. And this problem has not been solved yet. I’ll think of it all tomorrow )) Here is my preliminary, raw version of the DATA.INI - maybe someone will be interested.

Note. If someone wants to try this, do not forget to rename the aircraft's main folder to CaudronR11 so that the folder's name coincide with the name of the main INI file.

CaudronR11.rar

Third Wire's 3D model instructions require flexible guns to point forward, to provide a reference for the game code.  Making the guns point aft is accomplished by the entries in the data file.  Shot below shows the guns point in the correct direction before exporting the 3D model as a LOD.  I do not know what causes the gunner problem ingame, but the model is set up correctly.  This has worked correctly before, with the Halberstadt CL4.  Perhaps the entries in Laton's old CL4 data file might help you figure out the problem?

shot-3.jpg

img00016.JPG

HalberstadtCLIV_DATA.INI

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Third Wire's 3D model instructions require flexible guns to point forward, to provide a reference for the game code.  Making the guns point aft is accomplished by the entries in the data file.  Shot below shows the guns point in the correct direction before exporting the 3D model as a LOD.  I do not know what causes the gunner problem ingame, but the model is set up correctly.  This has worked correctly before, with the Halberstadt CL4.  Perhaps the entries in Laton's old CL4 data file might help you figure out the problem?

I tried with settings from various stock and additional aircraft (including Laton's Halberstadt CL4), but so far to no avail. At the moment gunners are still shoot as in the screenshot, or prefer to turn their backs when they are attacked by a whole swarm of enemy hunters. .:dntknw:  Although I even tried to add a FakeGun there to make them more aggressive... ))
I think that the error is somewhere in the aircraft's coordinate system in the data-in-file

2133-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 06.06.2018 at 2:46 PM, Geezer said:

If you guys can cooperate and produce an FM that incorporates all of your fixes and improvements, I'll find the time to update the model and LODs.

As for the gunners, I will also add that after I added FakeGun, the behavior of the aircraft really became more aggressive. Now, after the command "Engage Air", Caudrons began to pursue enemy planes, performing steep turns and loops (of course, this is nonsense for such a large wagon)). But it almost did not affect the behavior of the gunners. It seems that the rear gunner thinks he is the front gunner (or vice versa), because on closer examination it turned out that the rear gunner shoots forward, while the front gunner is idle. But why are muzzle flashes in the wrong place (MuzzlePosition)? In general, the solution is somewhere close, I think ...

P.S. I didn't manage to catch the moment when muzzle flashes, but it is clear that the fire was opened by the rear gunner.

img00026.jpg

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Caudrons began to pursue enemy planes, performing steep turns and loops (of course, this is nonsense for such a large wagon)).

The R.11 from what I'm aware was capable of doing a modern Immelmann, although sources are confusing on what an Immelmann is too (old-style chandelle, pirouette? or was the Immelmann always the same maneuver, as Dan-San Abbott suggested on the Aerodrome forums...). The R.11 has powerful engines, historically, so should be capable of such stunts if done gracefully I suppose. :biggrin:

To minimize wild maneuvers from the AI in the R.11, try the following tweaks (haven't tested this yet but will get around to it eventually...still busy with the ver. 9.5 FM update pack).

-------------------

R11 Caudron AI Tweak

[AIData] -----> change values in two lines below as follows

MaxRollCombat=15.0
MaxPitchCombat=25.0

-----> replace dogfight skill level entries with ones below

[DogfightNovice]
SafeAltitude=160
LookoutAngle=90
DefensiveAngle=60
ChanceDefensiveTurn=0
ChanceBreakTurn=10
ChanceHardTurn=10
ChanceTurnDirection=10
ChanceContinue=80
ChanceCheckNewTarget=5
ChanceUseVertical=5
FightWithoutAmmo=0
CannonFireAngle=20.0
MaxPitchInput=0.75
MaxCannonRange=500
OptimalCannonRange=80
MinCannonRange=50
MaxRollForGunAttack=45
CannonBurstLengthShort=2.5
CannonBurstLengthLong=2.5
MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.5
MaxRudderForManeuver=0.7

[DogfightGreen]
SafeAltitude=140
LookoutAngle=120
DefensiveAngle=90
ChanceDefensiveTurn=15
ChanceBreakTurn=20
ChanceHardTurn=20
ChanceTurnDirection=20
ChanceContinue=70
ChanceCheckNewTarget=10
ChanceUseVertical=10
FightWithoutAmmo=0
CannonFireAngle=20.0
MaxPitchInput=0.75
MaxCannonRange=500
OptimalCannonRange=80
MinCannonRange=50
MaxRollForGunAttack=60
CannonBurstLengthShort=2.0
CannonBurstLengthLong=2.0
MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.8
MaxRudderForManeuver=0.9

[DogfightRegular]
SafeAltitude=120
LookoutAngle=150
DefensiveAngle=90
ChanceDefensiveTurn=35
ChanceBreakTurn=30
ChanceHardTurn=30
ChanceTurnDirection=40
ChanceContinue=50
ChanceCheckNewTarget=20
ChanceUseVertical=20
FightWithoutAmmo=0
CannonFireAngle=12.0
MaxPitchInput=0.8
MaxCannonRange=500
OptimalCannonRange=70
MinCannonRange=30
MaxRollForGunAttack=75
CannonBurstLengthShort=0.75
CannonBurstLengthLong=1.0
MaxRudderForGunAttack=1.0
MaxRudderForManeuver=1.0

[DogfightVeteran]
SafeAltitude=100
LookoutAngle=150
DefensiveAngle=120
ChanceDefensiveTurn=55
ChanceBreakTurn=30
ChanceHardTurn=30
ChanceTurnDirection=30
ChanceContinue=50
ChanceCheckNewTarget=30
ChanceUseVertical=40
FightWithoutAmmo=0
CannonFireAngle=12.0
MaxPitchInput=0.85
MaxCannonRange=500
OptimalCannonRange=70
MinCannonRange=30
MaxRollForGunAttack=90
MaxRudderForManeuver=2.0

[DogfightAce]
SafeAltitude=100
LookoutAngle=150
DefensiveAngle=120
ChanceDefensiveTurn=65
ChanceBreakTurn=50
ChanceHardTurn=50
ChanceTurnDirection=50
ChanceContinue=25
ChanceCheckNewTarget=40
ChanceUseVertical=50
FightWithoutAmmo=1
CannonFireAngle=12.0
MaxPitchInput=0.85
MaxCannonRange=500
OptimalCannonRange=70
MinCannonRange=30
MaxRollForGunAttack=90
MaxRudderForManeuver=2.0

-------------------

Von S

• Like 2

On 06.06.2018 at 2:46 PM, Geezer said:

If you guys can cooperate and produce an FM that incorporates all of your fixes and improvements, I'll find the time to update the model and LODs.

By the way, I immediately have a suggestion for slightly modify the LOD of this Caudron. Currently, all the cables between the wings have only one node name (more precisely, one name for each half - OuterWites_L and OuterWires_R). Therefore, when one part of the wing is destroyed, all wiring, including the cables of the aileron control, remains in place. Or, if attach the wiring to some part of the wing as the RemoveNode, it also disappears completely. For example, with a destroyed aileron, all wiring on the wing disappears. Is it possible to further divide this element into several separate parts? If it's not difficult, of course))

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

By the way, I immediately have a suggestion for slightly modify the LOD of this Caudron. Currently, all the cables between the wings have only one node name (more precisely, one name for each half - OuterWites_L and OuterWires_R). Therefore, when one part of the wing is destroyed, all wiring, including the cables of the aileron control, remains in place. Or, if attach the wiring to some part of the wing as the RemoveNode, it also disappears completely. For example, with a destroyed aileron, all wiring on the wing disappears. Is it possible to further divide this element into several separate parts? If it's not difficult, of course))

Yeah, I can fix that when I update the 3D model.  I'm waiting to see what else you guys find that may affect the 3D model.

7 hours ago, Geezer said:

Third Wire's 3D model instructions require flexible guns to point forward, to provide a reference for the game code.  Making the guns point aft is accomplished by the entries in the data file.  Shot below shows the guns point in the correct direction before exporting the 3D model as a LOD.  I do not know what causes the gunner problem ingame, but the model is set up correctly.

shot-3.jpg

Perhaps this is the reason? As you can see, my rear guns are not directed forward. Maybe it's a bug when downloading a file?

131313-3.jpg

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

Perhaps this is the reason? As you can see, my rear guns are not directed forward. Maybe it's a bug when downloading a file?

Wow!  I must have sent you guys an early experimental LOD.  I'll make a new one tomorrow.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Geezer said:

OK - try this revised LOD.

Thank you, Geezer! I installed your new LOD and now both gunners are working as they should. The problem is solved. 

CaudronR11_DATA.INI

img00038.jpg

• Like 2

Those who have downloaded Geezer's Halberstadt CL.IV WIP, could notice the strange work of control surfaces (see screenshot). This error can be easily corrected by replacing the rudder and ailerons rotation axes in the DATA.INI file. Below is a revised version of the DATA.ini, with fixes for the propeller and control surfaces for their correct operation.

img00011.jpg

HalberstadtCLIV_DATA.INI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gterl and I are working on some file exchanges, which prompted me to dust off some old mountain ground objects and resume work.

shot-1.jpg

shot-2.jpg

shot-3.jpg

shot-4.jpg

• Like 8

Mike Dora suggested the R.11's resolute looking gunners exemplify the French slogan at Verdun: "they shall not pass."  :biggrin:

shot-11.jpg

• Like 7

This morning, I started work on the camo skins for the Breguet XIV.

shot-23.jpg

• Like 6

Progress shot of the Breguet XIV with camo skins.

shot-23.jpg

• Like 7

The Caudron R11 skins are nearing completion. Next, make the cockpit.  Also working on a Nieuport 24bis.

img00008 (3).JPG

img00009 (2).JPG

img00010 (2).JPG

shot-5.jpg

• Like 3

First flight of the R11's companion, the Br14.

img00004.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00014.JPG

img00018.JPG

• Like 5

Also, the guys pointed out I had forgotten the Caudron R.11's ventral Lewis gun.  So, yet another revision.  :smile:

Ventral Gun-3.jpg

• Like 5

The efficiency of the ventral machine gun is not obvious, a deterrent at the very best

Note that the French will repeat this in 1940 with the Br691/3/5 versions

• Like 2

This morning, checked out the FM adjustments to the Nieuport range of aircraft WIPs.  VonS, and especially Crawford, have slowly ground their way through the hodge-podge of old files to develop new ones to match the new 3D models.  The aircraft now destruct fairly realistically, given the limited effort I make when developing new 3D models.  They do outstanding work.  :biggrin:

Also tweaked the artwork for the Vickers guns - they were a bit too darkish.  As shown in the Sopwith Triplane shot, most machine guns are various shades of dark gray, not black.  Shots of Br14 show the revisions to the Vickers artwork.

For you camo buffs, the Br14 is finished in the Michelin factory pattern - there were several others as each contractor had their own interpretation of French government guidelines.

img00009.JPG

img00011.JPG

Scan-170209-0202-800x.jpg

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00007.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 5