Geezer

New Aircraft

We keep working on file improvements to the many Nieuports.  Things have progressed far enough to make new hangar and loading screens.

N17_HANGAR.jpg

N17_LOADING.jpg

PfalzD3a_HANGAR.jpg

PfalzD3a_LOADING copy.jpg

• Like 4

Good news !
Are new Nieuport XVIIs and Pfalz D3a will be available in FE1 ?

Nieuport 28 and Pfalz D8 are available in FE1 but without skins. Halberstadt CLIV is available with skins and it is great !

Edited by Eugene2

6 hours ago, Eugene2 said:

Good news !
Are new Nieuport XVIIs and Pfalz D3a will be available in FE1 ?

Nieuport 28 and Pfalz D8 are available in FE1 but without skins. Halberstadt CLIV is available with skins and it is great !

It's taken a looooong time to develop new FMs for the new aircraft, in addition it takes me a long time to make the models and skins.  Having said that, the Pfalz D3 and D3a, plus the Nieuport 17 and 23 are nearing completion.  For variety, we also worked on the Caudron R11 and it is also nearing completion.  All have been developed for FE2 to take advantage of dds format artwork, which reduces workload on the game engine.  Crawford succeeded in converting the art to bmp format so he could run the aircraft in FE1.  All releases will include a graphics pack of templates and baseline artwork, similar to my earlier releases of the Gladiator and CR42, plus developer notes from VonS and Crawford included with the aircraft release.

Once we push the aircraft listed out the door, we will continue work on the Nieuport 24, 24bis, 27, and 28.  Eventually, every Nieuport sesquiplane release will have a Lewis gun armed version - it's less confusing to complete baseline aircraft first.  Then, the Pfalz D8 and Halberstadt CL4 will be refined and finished, followed by the Breguet 14 bomber.

Models inwork for next year are Bleriot 11, Sopwith Triplane and Pup, and Berg D1.  More dawn patrol shots below.

img00015.JPG

img00017.JPG

img00022.JPG

img00025.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Progress shots below of an experiment, showing Nungesser's Nieuport 24.  We are trying to figure out a way to run multiple versions of one aircraft ingame, each utilizing dedicated artwork, or decals, or both.

img00005.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00002.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Working from some excellent references provided by jeanba, I'm developing skins for French N27s stationed in Italy in 1917/18.

img00002.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mike Dora just posted some outstanding shots taken at Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome.  One more plugs into the theme for the new series of FE2 aircraft.  :biggrin:

IMG_2612.JPG.00b28fa60f8d159e9a001a248340f235.JPG

Dawn_Patrol_Intro.jpg

• Like 5

Hello gents', please find attached below the latest R.11 data ini file that replaces the old one posted in a previous post above, and that incorporates Crawford's correct node names. Also included is the cockpit ini file again if you find that a seating position fix is needed, and a general ini file with the correct calls. Don't forget to rename the aircraft folder itself to "Caudron_R11" for these files to work correctly. Some more info. on the latest changes below:

----------

Crawford's fix to one of the stuck engines (from previous updates) gave much more power to the aircraft than in my initial tweaks...with all the extra rpm now correctly at work (so that the top speed was exceeding 205 kph). :biggrin:

The engines have now been properly de-tuned, and other tweaks applied to rudder/ailerons/elevator, for slightly less sensitivity. You will notice slight yaw if turning only with ailerons...also wing vibrations are present at extreme angles of attack and excessive climbs/dives.

More specific stats on the latest data ini:

- stalls below about 75 kph into vibrating side-slips usually

- climbing below about 85 kph not advised

- good climbs of about 3.5 to 4 m/s in 90s to 130s kph

- climbs at about 3 m/s in 140s and 150s kph

- elevator effective at maintaining dives to about 360 kph

- take offs at around 120 kph are recommended

- land at around 90 kph or so (wheels should touch down close to this speed)

- speed near sea level is now close to 190-191 kph (sometimes recorded top speed for R.11)

- speed at 5000 m alt. is 161-2 kph (close to historical of about 165 at that alt.)

- rudder recommended for tighter turns and higher banking angles than possible with ailerons alone

- fairly stable craft, tends to right itself if controls are let go

- can still do a modern Immelmann but watch speed/coordination

Von S :flyer:

Edit: link removed, please see all-in-one download link below.

Edited by VonS
Deleted obsolete link.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello fellow flyers of First Eagles 2,

Please find attached below an all-in-one zipped file of the latest works in progress by Geezer. Geezer may in the future return to work on these projects further, but he is currently busy with real life and other hobbies. However, he has kindly given permission to the First Eagles 2 community to release the latest versions of his works-in-progress aircraft.

You will find included in the zipped folder various types and sub-types, also a couple of extra sounds, the latest sounds ini file for your Flight folder, and also a Read Me file that includes more info. on the latest FM tweaks for these models. Work on Geezer's models not released yet as works-in-progress happily continues behind the scenes. A great many thanks to Crawford, Coupi, Jeanba, and Mike Dora for continued input on these works, and of course a great thanks to Geezer for these beautiful models.

(Note: the Pfalz D.III was also used in the middle eastern theater - suggested service dates for that theater are from about July to October of 1918.)

Happy flying,

Von S :drinks:

EDIT: Attachment removed, will be placed in separate post as "consolidated" file with all latest updates, for convenience.

GeezersLatest.jpg

Edited by VonS
Attachment removed - consolidated file with latest updates will follow in separate post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wonderfull stuff!! I know because I've downloaded the package and checked everything with the LODViewer.

First hint of issues was provided by the DDS format skin. So I changed everything to BMP and even HEX edited the LOD files (changed from DDS to BMP). Checked again with the LODViewer and it looked even better. Sadly aircraft (used the Caudron) does not show up within the game. I was able to choose it, but no 3d object is showing once game-engine starts up. Mind you, no CTD, no errors...just a 'ghost' airplane. Even the exhaust smoke is working...in the sky ..without plane.

I guess this is due to the new TW2 format (remember something about LODs having another format). FE Gold here...so I'm outdated..LOL

cheers

gt

Is the LOD in ANSI or Unicode?

1stGens can't see Unicodes. OTH, SF2/FE2 can see both

Unicode...so I'm stuck. Unless I migrate to FE2

Perhaps the unicode to ansi batch converter can help, link below:

https://combatace.com/files/file/11290-unicode-ansi-file-batch-converter/?tab=comments

Crawford has also found a way of flying FE2 aircraft in FE1/gold...he will probably see this post eventually and add some suggestions that I've missed.

Happy flying gents',

Von S :smile:

• Like 1

that's for text files (inis, etc). I don't think that'll work for a LOD; the coding is locked in when the model is exported (as I've been told -- never learned to use my copy of MAX 2009!!)

Yes it's the LOD files...not the INI's (that one was easy to figure out)

Geezer, where are you? 

At least, I'd like to know how are you doing. Could you tell me something about it?

On 24.08.2018 at 9:09 PM, VonS said:

Crawford has also found a way of flying FE2 aircraft in FE1/gold...he will probably see this post eventually and add some suggestions that I've missed.

Hello Von S and all the other comrades!
You are right, friends, and the problem with LOD files. I can say more specifically - with the distant LODs. It is interesting that this bug does not come with all the new Geezer's models, but only with some. I do not know why this happens. But this bug can be fixed.
You can make a backup of the ini file, then delete all the LODs except the first one and run the game. The plane should show up. Then try adding the LODs back in, one at a time until it stops working. Then adjust the distances in the ini file.

In the file named CaudronR11.ini change the distance in LOD001 to 7000:
 [LOD001]
Filename= CaudronR11.lod
Distance=7000

Then delete LOD002, through LOD004.
Of course, this will slow down the game a bit if you have a weak PC. But there is no other solution.

If you are sorry to delete the broken files, just edit the main file of each aircraft. Example
[LOD001]
Filename=Nieuport17.LOD
//Distance=200
Distance=8000

//[LOD002]
Filename=Nieuport17_LOD2.LOD
Distance=500

//[LOD003]
Filename=Nieuport17_LOD3.LOD
Distance=1500

//[LOD004]
Filename=Nieuport17_LOD4.LOD
Distance=8000

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, JacksonM said:

Geezer, where are you?

He flew away, but promised to return ... (с)  :bye:

• Like 2

Hi guys!

Recently I happened to meet in the air with an Elephant (in other words - Geezer's Martinside G.100), and I saw that his Rotherham fuel pump is still motionless. Why do not we make it work? Use the simplest method by which we revived the Camel's fuel pump. Open the data file with Notepad. Find a [Fuselage] section and add the string

SystemName[001]=InternalGun1
SystemName[002]=LeftMainGear
SystemName[003]=RightMainGear
SystemName[004]=MainFuelTank
SystemName[005]=Pilot
SystemName[006]=RearGunner
SystemName[007]=MachineGun
SystemName[008]=BombRackE
SystemName[009]=BombRackF
SystemName[010]=BombRackG
SystemName[011]=BombRackH
SystemName[012]=FuelPump      <------------------------------------------------  Add this entry
RemoveNode[001]=Fuselage
DetachNode[001]=Wing Lower middle L
DetachNode[002]=Wires L
DetachNode[003]=Wing Lower middle R
DetachNode[004]=Wires R
DetachNode[005]=Tail

Then scroll down and in the Engines section, add the following entry

[FuelPump]
ReferenceName=Rotherham_fuel_pump
SystemType=PROP_ENGINE
InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL
EngineID=2
SLPowerDry=60.0
ThrustAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
ThrustPosition=0.0,0,0.0,0.0
//ThrottleRate=0.5
ThrottleRate=0.7
AltitudeTableNumData=14
AltitudeTableDeltaX= 514.4
AltitudeTableStartX=0.0
AltitudeTableData= 1.000,0.975,0.854,0.700,0.590,0.457,0.361,0.279,0.209,0.185,0.095,0.050,0.015,0.000
SpinnerNodeName=RotherhamShaft
StaticPropNodeName=RotherhamProp
SlowPropNodeName=RotherhamProp
FastPropNodeName=RotherhamProp
SlowPropRPM=2200
FastPropRPM=3800
MaxPropRPM=4500
IdlePropRPM=1600
BSFC=0.00001
MinExtentPosition=-0.43, 0.74,-0.54
MaxExtentPosition=-0.50, 0.65,-0.60
ConstantSpeed=FALSE
NumBlades=2
PropDiameter=0.25

Save the changes, and as a result you get a 'working' fuel pump. :smile:
The same should be done with the MartinsydeG102_DATA.ini.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Silberpfeil said:

Good catch, Crawford!

You're welcome  :biggrin:

After correction LOD and ini files of FE2 aircraft (Nieupiorts, Pfalz DIIIa etc.) I can fly on this ones in FE1 ! But... only in "overall white camo... Is it possible to make this aircraft in full-color camo ?

it's isn't just ansi vs unicode again...

that skin isn't white. your seeing the blank material of the model; which in 1stGens is white (actually very light grey) FE2/SF2 shows untextued material as black

can you use a hex editor? You may need to. The only texture types SF1/FE1 can see are bmps (and tgas). It's simply not worth the extra work to make 2 different versions for the 2 game. Experience with SF2 tells us this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eugene2 said:

Is it possible to make this aircraft in full-color camo ?

Yes, it is possible. Of course, what you are talking about is not a white camo. It's just a naked 3d model, or so to say, an "albino". The fact is, that our FE1 sees only skins in BMP format, while Geezer uses DDS format for his new models (except for the Halberstadt CL.IV).
There is nothing difficult in converting skins of one format to skins of another format using a special utility and any graphics editor (I use FastStone Image Viewer). But that is not all. In order for the game to see these textures, it is necessary that the LODs refer to them. This means that you will also need to edit the LODs, prescribing .bmp instead of .dds. For this purpose the program Hex-editor XVI32 is intended. It's quite tiny and it's not very difficult to use, but editing takes time and attention.

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 3

Addition to my top message. Both of these utilities are somewhere in the downloads section, but they are long to be looked for. So just unpack the archive and use it. No additional installation are required.

dds2tga_converter__Hex-editor.rar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1