Geezer

New Aircraft

Hello fellow flyers of FE2,

Please find attached below the latest version of Geezer's nearly complete Halberstadt CL.IV. The FM has been extensively re-done. Also included are Geezer's latest skins for the model and Crawford's improvements for the skin on the top wings. You will as well find included two versions of the general ini file, one with shadows activated, the other with shadows off for better frame rates. As well included are my notes on the FM changes and suggestions for handling of the aircraft. Many thanks to Crawford, Jeanba, Coupi and Mike Dora for suggestions, tweaks and improvements, and of course to Geezer for the Halb. CL.IV model. Your friendly neighborhood FE2 aircraft construction team will in the meantime continue working on the Nieu. 27, Nieup. 21, Breguet XIV and Junkers J.1 models and we hope to release those under this thread when they achieve "nearly complete" status. The Halb. CL.IV, like the previous models posted, may be able to work in FE1/FEgold too.

Happy flying,

Von S :drinks:

01_GeezersLatestHalb.jpg

Edited by VonS
Attachment removed - consolidated file with latest updates will follow in separate post.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Crawford!! Removing the all LODs (except the first one) did the trick!

large.img00003.jpg.4dd5a38bb43a6f80740e5a417c2e6390.jpglarge.img00002.jpg.6434ca200e0cfc0be138119f92404f76.jpg

• Like 5

Nice screenshots and thank you for those, gterl!

Von S - Thanks for all your work also, and I read your note on the AI (always one of my areas of interest!) and was curious about the CL.IV's rear gunner.  Has this WIP FM been tweaked to further improve the AI defensive fire rates and accuracy?     

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silberpfeil said:

was curious about the CL.IV's rear gunner.  Has this WIP FM been tweaked to further improve the AI defensive fire rates and accuracy?     

Hello Silberpfeil, the FM has been extensively re-done to fit historical characteristics of the CL.IV - didn't do any tweaking however to the Gunner AI but I did do some dogfights today between a Camel and CL.IV and it was a very tough fight. The CL.IV displays excellent defensive maneuvers...or maybe the particular aircraft I encountered was at the ace AI level. To sharpen the gunner further, change the following two entries in the data ini:

under the AIData section, change:

GunnerAimOffset=0.005

to

GunnerAimOffset=0.08

under the // Internal Guns section, change, for the Tailgun section:

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14_Gunner

to

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14_HGunner

(HGunner) has about 70 percent accuracy, while (Gunner) is about 40 percent accuracy

if you like, also change the burstamount entry for a bigger volley of lead:

BurstAmount=10

to

BurstAmount=20

This should keep dogfights entertaining with the CL.IV. A couple of pics. below - in one the CL.IV managed to put a few holes in my top wing but eventually I hit his fuel tank - in the other pic., after attacking his friend, I received a volley of bullets in my top wing that eventually gave me the Sopwith monoplane conversion :biggrin: you see in the pic.

Happy flying,

Von S

img00002.JPG

img00004.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16.08.2018 at 6:43 AM, VonS said:

Hello fellow flyers of First Eagles 2,

Please find attached below an all-in-one zipped file of the latest works in progress by Geezer. Geezer may in the future return to work on these projects further, but he is currently busy with real life and other hobbies. However, he has kindly given permission to the First Eagles 2 community to release the latest versions of his works-in-progress aircraft.

You will find included in the zipped folder various types and sub-types, also a couple of extra sounds, the latest sounds ini file for your Flight folder, and also a Read Me file that includes more info. on the latest FM tweaks for these models. Work on Geezer's models not released yet as works-in-progress happily continues behind the scenes. A great many thanks to Crawford, Coupi, Jeanba, and Mike Dora for continued input on these works, and of course a great thanks to Geezer for these beautiful models.

(Note: the Pfalz D.III was also used in the middle eastern theater - suggested service dates for that theater are from about July to October of 1918.)

Happy flying,

GeezersLatest.jpg

GeezersNearlyCompleteModels.zip

Hi, Von S.

Why do you think that the engine doesn't rotate to yet on the Nie.23 series? It seems to me that the engine blurs dut doesn't rotate on the Nieuport23_Lewis only. Maybe we have different LODs?

By the way, the Nie.23 series is just that case (along with both Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa planes) when the distant LODs are working normally.

Nieuport23.OUT

Nieuport23.LOD

P.S. And what's wrong with the Nieu.27? It seems to me that this is a completely finished model, no worse than Geezer's N17 or N23...

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 4

Hello Crawford, thank you for those out and lod files for the Nieu. 23 series by Geezer. I can now confirm after testing that they fix the static blur problem on the Nieu. 23 rotary engines. I recommend that, if you have downloaded the big pack with several of Geezer's latest works-in-progress models - you also download the out/lod files that Crawford has posted above - simply drop the files into your Nieu. 23, 23bis, and 23dux folders - and you will have proper rotation of the engine. Excellent discovery Crawford!

Perhaps we will be able to fix this same problem on the Nieu. 23 Lewis variant soon too.

For the Nieu. 27 - the latest files I have by Geezer, while almost done, do not have correctly aligned left/right wheels...I will PM you the files for testing.

Von S :flyer:

Edited by VonS
Corrected info.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello fellow FE2 flyers,

Please find attached below a zipped file that includes improved level-one lod views in the general ini file for Geezer's Pfalz D.3 and 3a. Also included are corrected, extra skin folders in DDS and lower-resolution (but easier to paint) BMP format for the Pfalz D.3a, not the D.3 (the early D.3 has one standard skin only in DDS format that Geezer made). Please read the directions included in the "note" on the pic. below, if painting/skinning the Pfalz for yourselves. Also, if you are installing the BMP skins instead of the DDS ones, install as well (copy over and replace) the older lod and out files provided in that folder, since otherwise the BMP skins won't show up. The Pfalz D.3a is available in the big download pack posted earlier in this thread.

Happy flying,

01_ExtraSkinsPfalzD3a.jpg

Edited by VonS
Attachment removed - consolidated file with latest updates will follow in separate post.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello again fellow flyers of FE2,

Please find attached below Geezer's latest, nearly complete version of the Nieuport 27. You will also find included two versions of the general ini file, one with shadows and the other with shadows disabled. Many thanks to Crawford, Jeanba, Coupi and Mike Dora, and of course Geezer. Your friendly neighborhood FE2 aircraft construction team will now focus on the Breguet XIV, Junkers J.1, also prop disc tweaks for the Nieu. 21 series, and engine/prop tweaks for the Nieu. 23 Lewis variant and the N.28/28a. The Nieu. 27, like the Halb. CL.IV and other models, may be able to work in FE/FEgold too.

Happy flying,

01_GeezersLatestN27.jpg

Edited by VonS
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, VonS said:

Hello again fellow flyers of FE2,

Please find attached below Geezer's latest, nearly complete version of the Nieuport 27.

GeezersNearlyCompleteN27.zip

Thank you, Von S.

I can only add that this same model can also depict  the Nieuport 25 and late Nieuport 24 without a tailskid fairing. There is practically no differences between these planes, except for the engine and the split undercarriage for the N25 and N27 (the split axle was copied from the "Sopvitch"). Other minor differences are the size of the left hatch and the position of the air intakes (it's depended on the type of carburetor), but these little things can be ignored. In the game we just don't notice the split axle or one additional wire.  ))

1465679543_BDIC_VAL_150_034.thumb.jpg.9bf500443ae5d5663107027656154328.jpg

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 5

Good info. Crawford, the 24/25/27 Nieups. are often hard to distinguish. Also possible is that the Nieu. 27 had strengthened v-struts and a thicker single spar in the bottom wings, in comparison to the 24/24bis. The 25 may also have been strengthened, although some 25s were just engined-up 24s as on the eastern front.

Von S :smile:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VonS said:

Also possible is that the Nieu. 27 had strengthened v-struts and a thicker single spar in the bottom wings, in comparison to the 24/24bis. The 25 may also have been strengthened, although some 25s were just engined-up 24s as on the eastern front.

Von S :smile:

Yes, you are right, of course. But on the 3D-model this will not be reflected in any way. )

• Like 4

Hello gents, please find attached below the latest data inis for the big update pack of Geezer's aircraft, posted several posts above. The data inis are for the Nieu. 24, 24bis, Nieu. 23, 23 Lewis, also the Nieu. 17, and 17 Lewis. These files have improved, more subtle performance at different altitudes under the "engine" section - by mistake the files weren't included with the pack posted above (but slightly older files with simpler altitude performance data). All the other aircraft have their latest data inis already included.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello fellow FE2 flyers,

Please find included below the latest data ini file for the Nieu. 23 Lewis - the rotary engine now spins correctly with the prop. This data ini replaces the previous data ini for the N.23 Lewis included in the post immediately above this one. A big thanks to Crawford for this excellent discovery and fix!

Von S :flyer:

Edited by VonS
  • Thanks 1

Hello fellow flyers of FE2,

Please find attached below Geezer's nearly complete Nieuport 21 series. Several variants have now been made: a Vickers and Lewis armed N.21, also two variants by the DUX plant. These are nimble and enjoyable planes to fly. Also included is a Lewis-only variant of the Nieu. 24bis (used in small numbers by the RFC, with several manufactured by the British). You will find included a two-gun version of the Nieu. 27 (Vickers and Lewis). The data inis are not interchangeable - subtle differences are included across the sub-variants, as historical. To get the Lewis gun to show up on the relevant types, please download Stephen's Lewis Mk.II from the following link (https://combatace.com/files/file/15059-lewis-gun-mk2/) and install the gun into the "Pilot" folder of your FE2 user directory, not into the Guns folder. (Thank you Crawford for this interesting trick - works well especially if you don't like tinkering with load-out files. The other way of installing the Lewis is by load-out files and different changes in the data inis - the data inis included in this package work only with the gun-as-pilot trick.) Also you will find included a new sound to fit the 90 hp Le Rhone 9ca engine on the Nieup. 21 variants modeled, and a new sounds file for your Flight folder. These aircraft, as others posted previously, may also work in FE/FEgold with the correct tweaks applied. As always, many thanks to Geezer for the beautiful models, and to Crawford, Jeanba, Coupi and Mike Dora for their input.

Happy flying,

01_GeezersN21VariantsAndLewisAddons copy.jpg

Edited by VonS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot !!! :good:

• Like 4

Hey, guys!  I think I may be able to resume modding soon.  I had a lot of real world stuff to take care of, but it looks like the worst of it is done.  I scanned your recent posts and I'm really impressed with all the work you guys have done!  

It will take me a while to reinstall FE2 and find my backups discs with my model files.  Maybe Eugene2 can pick up some of the graphics load?

What do you guys think needs to be done first?  I have not given FE2 a thought for months, so I am not sure where we stand.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Glad to have you back, Geezer, and a Happy New Year to everyone at CA!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

Hey, guys!  I think I may be able to resume modding soon.  I had a lot of real world stuff to take care of, but it looks like the worst of it is done.  I scanned your recent posts and I'm really impressed with all the work you guys have done!  

It will take me a while to reinstall FE2 and find my backups discs with my model files.  Maybe Eugene2 can pick up some of the graphics load?

What do you guys think needs to be done first?  I have not given FE2 a thought for months, so I am not sure where we stand.

Well this is a nice surprise! Welcome back Geezer.

I think the Breguet XIV needs more work...that model is incomplete, and the Junkers J.I probably requires further tweaking of the 3-d model....other than that I think most of the aircraft you've been working on are as good as they come - there are about five or six uploads in total under this "new aircraft" thread where your nearly complete Nieups., Pfalzes, Halb., etc. have been posted.

Happy new year to all,

Von S :smile:

• Like 1

OK, I'll find the Br.XIV and J.1 and look them over.  BTW, the N.28 and CL.IV are not done - the artwork requires more dirt/weathering.

• Thanks 4

OK, now I'm almost done "default" skin for Geezer's Nieuport XVII and begin the skin for Geezer's Pfalz DIII/DIIIa. Nieuport 28's skin is the next. I hope to receive the templates for Breguet XIV as soon as possible.

Happy New Year !

Edited by Eugene2
  • Like 5

Glad you're back Geezer & a happy new year to all of you!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Geezer said:

Hey, guys!  I think I may be able to resume modding soon.

Great news under a new year tree! :biggrin:  I'm glad to see you again, Geezer!

49056771_1430431243753953_4349419793321820160_o.thumb.jpg.565567fbd84e0c28cb0c3ddc159ffce8.jpg

• Like 5