Geezer

New Aircraft

31 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I think this is possible. But the pilot will smoke all the time, like a steam locomotive. Do we need it?

The "engine overheating" effect that I have for the Anzani-powered MS type G from the ver. 9.1 FM update pack could be modified further for this...I will look into it when tweaking the FM...light, occasional smoke is desirable but not too much :biggrin: ... will see how realistic it looks.

Von S

• Like 2

21 hours ago, VonS said:

Excellent progress on the Bleriot Geezer! Here's a link for anyone interested in flying characteristics of an Anzani-powered type

Here is one of the possible "prototypes" of the Bleriot-XI Type 2 which Geezer is building. I have a small walkaround of this Italian-built aircraft. Unfortunately, the cockpit interior is not available for inspection. Apparently, this may have a slightly increased size compared with a single seat Bleriot XI. Control of wing warping through chain transmission rarely occurs on aircraft of this type...

Bleriot_XI-2_SIT_BL246.jpg

Bleriot_XI_13.thumb.JPG.404bc77080a91f2a563eac4e0e547e72.JPG

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, VonS said:

The "engine overheating" effect that I have for the Anzani-powered MS type G from the ver. 9.1 FM update pack could be modified further for this...I will look into it when tweaking the FM...light, occasional smoke is desirable but not too much :biggrin: ... will see how realistic it looks.

Von S

You are probably right. But in my good old FE, this "engine overheating" effect is absent. :no:

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Here is one of the possible "prototypes" of the Bleriot-XI Type 2 which Geezer is building. I have a small walkaround of this Italian-built aircraft. Unfortunately, the cockpit interior is not available for inspection. Apparently, this may have a slightly increased size compared with a single seat Bleriot XI. Control of wing warping through chain transmission rarely occurs on aircraft of this type...

Lovely pic Crawford...yes, the two-seater variant may have a wingspan in the 8.5 to 10.5 meter range approximately, likely a longer fuselage too, at least in the 8-9 meter range. There are so many size variations for the Bleriots but the two-seater variant should be larger than the one-seater type no matter the variations. I'm sure that some of the two-seater types were frequently flown as one-seater arrangements too, although I've also read that, without a passenger, the two-seater type becomes extremely unstable longitudinally (from tail to nose)...see the Harriet Quimby crash for more info. on this. Perhaps Mikael Carlson is flying the one-seater type later variant, with Gnome rotary...have viewed the Carlson clips and overall his has better handling/control than the Anzani type, although it still tends to float in turns.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crawford said:

You are probably right. But in my good old FE, this "engine overheating" effect is absent. :no:

The relevant entry to toggle in the data ini is:

ExhaustEmitterName=MGSmokeEmitter

(for the MS type G 25 and 45 hp variants)

Possibly an emitter with the same name is missing in FE/FEgold?

I will create a separate emitter for the cigarette smoke since the MGSmokeEmitter needs to be toned down further for it. :smile:

Von S

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VonS said:

The relevant entry to toggle in the data ini is:

I meant that in FE it's impossible to overheat the engine. In 1st Gens, engine overheating for piston engines is simply absent, at least with the Nov 2008 patch installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

I meant that in FE it's impossible to overheat the engine. In 1st Gens, engine overheating for piston engines is simply absent, at least with the Nov 2008 patch installed.

I think such effects in FE2 only happen if some damage is done to inline engines, and I've also seen it happen if the blip switch is held too long on rotaries while the aircraft are still at the aerodrome (particularly with the Sopwith Pups and Tripes in their latest FM modified form). I've tried to tweak the chance of engine overheating post-damage in all of the modified data inis, although there are other random factors that FE2 throws into the mix probably.

The relevant entries in the data inis, if available, are (located under the [Engine] section):

DamageTempDelta=30
OverheatDamageRate=0.4

Values above I use for single-row rotaries, double row-rotaries are at 20/0.3 respectively, early inlines at 60/0.7, and later inlines at 50/0.5 - rotaries, in general, were more robust than inlines. Possible exceptions are the Spad A.2 and Morane Bullet with casserole spinner...values of about 50/0.5 are usually good for those...to mimic greater chance of over-heating, also for the "Anzani-powered" MS type G variants.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 3

Worked on the cockpit for the Nieuport 28, one of my favs.

shot-17.jpg

• Like 7

Started surface mapping the Bleriot XI Type 2 this morning.  As Crawford pointed out, few Bleriots were identical due to significant detail variation.  Therefore, the model is a hodge-podge of details grafted on to an airframe based on the Italian Bleriot shown above.

shot-33.jpg

shot-34.jpg

shot-35.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Great pics Geezer! Attached below is an experimental particlesys file with even smaller MG smoke effects than in the particlesys file included with my ver. 9.5 FM update pack - these double-up nicely as cigarette smoke for pilots, but tweak the emitter coordinates in your data inis for realism.

For the MS type H and G variants, use something like:

ExhaustPosition=0.0,0.0,0.65

To put out the pilot's cigarette, turn engine off. :biggrin:

Representative pics. below.

Von S

img00006.JPG

img00012.JPG

Edited by VonS
Removed the modified particle file (included with the ver. 9.7 FM update pack).
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, VonS said:

Great pics Geezer! Attached below is an experimental particlesys file with even smaller MG smoke effects than in the particlesys file included with my ver. 9.5 FM update pack - these double-up nicely as cigarette smoke for pilots, but tweak the emitter coordinates in your data inis for realism.

Up in Smoke.  :biggrin: It looks like a marijuana product placement! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Geezer said:

Started surface mapping the Bleriot XI Type 2 this morning.  As Crawford pointed out, few Bleriots were identical due to significant detail variation.  Therefore, the model is a hodge-podge of details grafted on to an airframe based on the Italian Bleriot shown above

Good news, Geezer! :good:

Do you need a walkaround of the Italian Bleriot XI Type 2 in the the Aviation section of Turin Polytechnic's museum (however, this plane is also a replic, not the original )? I have no link, but if you need, I can upload the folder to the file sharing service (15 photos, bottom and side view, 19.6 MB).

174_3.jpg.e13b8b4086cefa9663f0f9579f6c6a81.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sky High said:

What I want to know: where the hell do I keep my matches?

WW1 trench lighters were often made from expended rifle cartridges.  The perforated sleeve would slide up to shield the flame from wind.  :biggrin:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Good news, Geezer! :good:

Do you need a walkaround of the Italian Bleriot XI Type 2 in the the Aviation section of Turin Polytechnic's museum (however, this plane is also a replic, not the original )? I have no link, but if you need, I can upload the folder to the file sharing service (15 photos, bottom and side view, 19.6 MB).

Thanks for the links - the cockpit shots were helpful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VonS said:

For the MS type H and G variants, use something like:

ExhaustPosition=0.0,0.0,0.65

To put out the pilot's cigarette, turn engine off. :biggrin:

Representative pics. below.

Von S

Got it!  Thanks.

Finished building the Nieuport 28 cockpit this morning.

shot-18.jpg

shot-19.jpg

• Like 6

Attached is the Caudron R11 cockpit LOD, plus the aircraft.  The only changes to VonS's latest files:

- Position of ww1PilotNew3 (original XYZ coordinates have been commented out with //) in the DATA ini

- HideExternalNodeName=Tub in COCKPIT ini

I'll let you guys tweak the coordinates so the cockpit displays ingame.  :biggrin:

Caudron_R11 Cockpit.rar

• Thanks 5

14 hours ago, Geezer said:

Attached is the Caudron R11 cockpit LOD, plus the aircraft.

I noticed this bug a long time ago, but I didn't have a chance to ask you: can this be corrected somehow?

img00007.jpg.c0864465f631af7b93e9a54204d32b5a.jpgimg00004.jpg.b3959386e599dc005b62733b15b8fac8.jpg

8 hours ago, Crawford said:

I noticed this bug a long time ago, but I didn't have a chance to ask you: can this be corrected somehow?

I'll look at the model, fix it, and then post a new LOD1.

EDIT: Posted below is latest version, with new LOD1.

1-24-19 Caudron_R11.rar

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Got the flying surfaces mapped, and started tweaking the colors.  The museum shots of the Italian Bleriot show colors that have darkened over the years - particularly the fabric - so I'm working on colors that are lighter.

shot-36.jpg

• Like 6

love it. I think this will end up being my favorite aircraft to just fly around and "sightsee" in. looks amazing. 

• Like 1