Geezer

New Aircraft

Technically not a new aircraft, more so an old one but being "renewed" currently - have gotten rid of the blocky pilot and awful looking gunner, and machine gun, from the old B.E.2a model available over on the Skunkworks website.

Now it includes one of Stephen's rifle-armed observers and Geezer's pilot with the healthy moustache. Also did some light re-skinning of the default skin available here on CombatAce for that B.E.2a and done by LloydNB many yrs. ago (thank you Lloyd for that earlier skin).

Left is to look over the FM since that requires an entire overhaul ( :read: ) and will base it on the FM tweaks I did a few yrs. earlier for Stephen's lovely B.E.2c model. Always wanted to have this one flying in FE2 - reminds me of the old BBC series 'Wings' (1970s). Will include the completed data ini here (and the re-skinned skin from CombatAce) once I'm done with it.

Von S

img00001.thumb.JPG.886b24fb65d0b5d6318d6c984267347d.JPG

img00002.thumb.JPG.4f4c7712cba3870928479106f534c975.JPG

img00003.thumb.JPG.0ccba8a0ff86c5e3884c5cb87fdb8062.JPG

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Without the shadow it looks even older. Almost paleozoic! But good work!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wilches said:

Without the shadow it looks even older. Almost paleozoic! But good work!

Agreed, it is an ancient model indeed. Although a light paint touch-up and shadows improve it a bit (thank you Paint3D). Have now successfully placed Stephen's cockpit for the B.E.2c into the 2a model (since the original 2a cockpit was strange with wood panels intersecting right through dials, gauges, whatnot) - and I think it looks better now. The decals I've "painted on" (inserted onto wings/fuselage, painted onto the rudder) by the way, to avoid bleeding at edges when they are called up via decal.ini files (again thank you Paint3D for your magic). Now onto the FM - will take several days to fix that up since it doesn't even fly in FE2 with the old Skunkworks FM.

Cheers all,

Von S :buba:

img00001.thumb.JPG.5e7c1d1a38ab29b17b250c6261c14bd8.JPG

img00002.thumb.JPG.d9d57a9471bfabb5b1854a4650cc96df.JPG

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 5

Brief progress report on the B.E.2a FM - now flies correctly, and barely.

Stats:

- top speed 118 kph at about 300 m alt.

- top speed 95 kph at ceiling limit of about 2800 m alt.

- stall buffeting below 70 kph

- spins below 55 kph or so (get out of spins as quickly as possible or the g-forces will "borrow" your wings and forget to give them back - I think that's about as obtuse as I can phrase that :biggrin: )

- at SL it is possible to push it to about 121 kph or so

- loops are not recommended, and hardly possible on the type, unless you are willing to risk losing flying surfaces

- elevators are good in dives to about 200 kph, then the nose comes up again (the B.E.2c dives more effectively)

- best climb rate about 1.5 m/s at 90 kph can be sustained to approx. 2000 m alt.

-----

Have also modified some aspects of the B.E.2c data ini too, in conjunction with work on the 2a:

- bit more power from the engine now

- top speed about 121 kph at 300 m alt.

- can be pushed to about 126/7 kph near SL (this makes sense since recorded historical top speed of about 116 kph on the B.E.2c, if we believe the stats, was taken at around 1800 m alt.)

- have also included some prop RPM changes on the B.E.2c, and more subtle power nos. across different altitudes (engine power changes/drops every 500 m now, or so, instead of the stock 1000 m gap that was in the earlier data ini for the 2c); same types of changes applied to the B.E.2a as well

- loops not very manageable on the B.E.2c either, from what I've been able to test

- best climb rate about 1.7 m/s at 90 kph can be sustained to approx. 2000 m alt.

-----

Now to test how the AI lands the B.E.2a, and also to dogfight against it in an Eindecker E.I - hope to have the finished files uploaded here in a few days. Some representative pics. below.

Cheers all,

Von S :smile:

img00003.thumb.JPG.408683bf988738315b15591315a85c0b.JPG

img00004.thumb.JPG.6587a041403ffb0467eda3e8e7d30174.JPG

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Testing already complete and FMs uploaded for the B.E.2a and 2c variants. Detailed instructions and the FM package are located under this post:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/87403-tweaked-flight-models-and-realism-pack-for-fe2/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-780396

Ave. performance figures are in the post above.

Happy flying in 1915,

img01BE2A.thumb.JPG.5a54b78c51f277ceb34725984ea43f87.JPG

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 13.03.2021 at 7:37 PM, Wilches said:

Did anyone has a good cockpit to fit on R-11?

By the way, why are you not satisfied with the adapted cockpit from Caudron G4?

In addition, in this thread on page 22 Geezer posted the cockpit of his work. Unfortunately, it is completely static and the textures do not work at all adequately, but it looks good ...

img00004.JPG

Edited by Crawford

With regret, I inform you, gentlemen, that another update has appeared on the A-Team Skunkworks site - the Vickers FB.27 Vimy. I say "with regret" 'cause it seems that there is not a single man left here for a long time who has not been banned by Capun for ever.  :haha:

But at least we can admire the screenshots. :biggrin:

Of course, this is still a beta version due to the lack of any wires.

VimyA.thumb.JPG.87ef4c0a55abf548bcc9f254db421636.JPG

Vimy-01.thumb.JPG.dce8f0e1040259549e6c01040ebbbea5.JPG

Edited by Crawford

had to give you down-check on that one, wilches. you've obviously never had to really contend with the issues they cause.

-------

back to our regular scheduled postings

I know the issues Wrench. Forgive me bro! 

• Like 1

Of course I forgive you, man!

OTH, the Vimy does look pretty good! I think I saw the one that flew across the Atlantic, and the US in the early 2000s (the one with the Chevy V8 engines). Saw this big twin engine biplane come into the Santa Monica airport. couldn't get away from the shop to go home, grab a camera, and get the airport to be sure. Pity. Would have been super cool!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to Wickipaedia, the Vimy never saw active service in the Great War, so that makes it a little easier to do without it.

• Like 3

Bumping up this thread, and to mention that the download links on pages 26 and 27 (hosted on a third-party website) to the Breguet XIV and Junkers J.1, kindly uploaded by Wilches - are no longer working. (Smaller attachments may be posted directly in posts here on CombatAce, by the way - less hassle and no broken links that way.)

Cheers all,

Von S :buba:

• Like 1

My bad guys! I´m busy these days so I have no time for uploads. If anyone are willing post them, go on. Sorry!

• Thanks 1

No worries Wilches - all fixed now. The Breguet XIV (French/Fiat and USAS/Liberty variants) and Junkers J.I packages may be found for download under the initial download location for those models, under this post (near the top of page 26 of this thread).

Happy flying all,

• Thanks 1

On 2018/5/21 at 7:19 PM, Geezer said:

Here are some photos to expand on VonS' excellent research and FM work.  A Swedish replica builder is constructing an all-new D.8 the same way the originals were made and it will be powered by an original Siemens-Halske engine!  D.8s were issued in ones and twos to front line and home defense units in the Spring of 1918.  Paul Baumer, of Jasta Boelcke, obtained a D.8 in May per the Osprey pub Pfalz Scout Aces of WW1 which has a photo of two D.8s used by Jasta 29 alongside their Fokker D.7s.  Myself, I tend to agree with VonS and suspect D.8s were not operational until late summer/early autumn - but I've been wrong before! :biggrin:

Pfalz_DVIII_proj8.jpg.JPG

710cbb3a5ab74c65c6190990daf3b82c.jpg

1279e0e3f3730915d59ccd8dbf4d866c.jpg

pfalzd8_js29.jpg

37362f4888b07d39cf66183c355c8210.jpg

img00030.JPG

img00006.JPG

anynews about this  Pfalz D.VIII?

Edited by jv44kt

1 hour ago, jv44kt said:

anynews about this  Pfalz D.VIII?

Available in the package under this post (also available there is a Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa).

Cheers,

Von S :smile:

• Like 3

In good Geezer fashion, I've decided to use this thread occasionally to bump it up with notes regarding the latest FM tweaks - since, technically, they will correspond with "new aircraft" sub-variants to be released with a ver. 10.0 FM/realism package. Quick question for all: while I am tinkering with the FM for an early, Benz-powered Alb. D.I (using Stephen's excellent D.I model for the tweak) -- I have run into a wee bit of a problem.

Using either the component delete trick, or the weapon-station delete trick (both tricks work fine) -- I am able to remove the right M.G. from external views, but I'm still stuck with the right M.G. in internal views (have tried the "move instrument trick" already, in the cockpit.ini file, to get rid of the right M.G. -- but it doesn't work and it's technically not an instrument anyway, so I'm not surprised that I'm not getting results that way).

Any thoughts will be welcome. Representative pics. below (external view - gun removed; internal view - gun visible). The Benz-powered D.I only had one M.G., to save weight, so thus the trick I am attempting.

Cheers all,

External view - right M.G. successfully removed

example1.thumb.JPG.0099ecfe744aa742ae4d476a66d3572b.JPG

Internal view - right M.G., while no longer animating, is still visible

example2.thumb.JPG.e40c55d23fa09f03a4730eb9c0db7f78.JPG

Edited by VonS
Edited post.

4 hours ago, Wilches said:

That's some fine and fast service Wilches - I thank you for the file. No wonder I was not getting results (I was using Fixed_Gun as the type, instead of Inactive). Now to do some more tweaking of the FM, then it's onto the Snipe, and other tweaking for a Spad 17 300 hp FM, which I am already tinkering with but have set aside for the moment. Stephen's Nieup. 21 has already been overhauled into a 110 hp LeRhone upgrade - more info. and pics. to follow soon under this thread.

I've also done a few minor tweaks to some previous data inis and will probably release all as a big ver. 10.0 FM package that will be more streamlined than the current ver. 9.9 package. With the current package, there is both a 9.9 and 9.7-era set of files in it (too cumbersome) - as well as a bunch of individual FM packages under the support thread for the big FM pack. All will be rolled into the same file, for convenience. Will post some pics. later today or over the next few days, from testing.

Cheers all,

Von S :smile:

• Like 1

You welcome Sir! I´m glad to know you´re still around. 

We are the resistance!!!

• Like 2

Brief, further update to the thread - tweaks going well for a ver. 10.0 of the FM/realism pack for FE2. Have finished with an overhaul for a 110 hp Lewis Nieup. 21 (for Stephen's model); also now completed the Spad 17 300 hp and early Benz-powered Alb. D.I - now onto the Sopwith Snipe FM. Then some further streamlining of folders for the big ver. 10.0 pack. Will also think about looking at Stephen's Pomilio and the Halb. CL.II - or perhaps will leave those for a separate addon sometime later. Representative pics. (and comments) of the latest tests are located under this post. For a representative testing vid., click on the pic. immediately below. [Edit: vid. removed.] Will update again when the full FM package is released.

FE2_Nieup110TestClipPic.thumb.jpg.037a3c8fd885af1a86c34c4fe2a1e255.jpg

Cheers all & happy flying,

MORE INFO.: stumbled onto this website that has interesting technical info. for several aircraft - might be of interest to others too who enjoy visiting the FE2 forums. Check over especially the links there called "early birds," "WWI aircraft," "zeppelins," and "aero engines."

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coming soon -- a ver. 10.5 addon pack for the big FM/realism pack, with stock Sopwith Strutter overhauls (now that I've made them player-flown for myself - haven't bothered with that until now***). FM tweaks will include the "Strutter 110," "Strutter 130," "Sop 1A2," "Sop 1B2," and additional "Sop 1B1" and "Sop 1B1 Dux" variants. Pics. below of the French-built 1B1 being tested - animated and functional flaps now included on the 1B1, and to be included on all of the variants. More pics. available under the FE2 pics. thread.

Cheers all and happy flying,

Flaps auto-deploy/retract around 90 kph, for shorter landings

img00001flaps.thumb.JPG.8a1aa4f8fe4d32ec1bd9273382d2bfcb.JPG

img00002flaps.thumb.JPG.f48c31d0015794bc87c4bd0bd29fc3ec.JPG

*** NOTE for FE2-ers: stock Strutters are only AI-flown unless made player-flyable with the addition of a tweaked cockpit.ini file and/or both cockpit.ini and cockpit folder.

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Almost done with the upgrades but I have to spend a day or two packaging everything -- more studying of the flaps/brakes system on the Strutters, in the meantime, has resulted in some more tweaks -- they function more so as a drag/braking system than lifting device (I initially thought that they provided drag/lift as traditional, small flaps). See the linked YouTube movie for a good illustration of how they actually work. Use of the airbrakes therefore requires that you include the following entry in your Controls/Default.ini file, since they are manually operated:

AIRBRAKES_TOGGLE= (choose key combo. of some kind)

Have also attempted implementing the brakes strictly as an inverted lift device but they then remain open constantly on AI-flown aircraft since the AI can't handle them properly. I've instead now combined some lift data that would otherwise be used for lift entries and, together with "SystemType=Airbrake," the data seems to work well - use of the airbrakes gives shorter landing distances and also a faster sink rate when flying at idle. Also good is that the airbrakes, when fully extended, cut down on the climb rate by about 30% or so (based on various tests at full throttle climbs).

Will update again once the ver. 10.5 addon FM pack is released.

Cheers all,

Airbrakes fully extended (in their correct position)

img00002.thumb.JPG.2ce8e3af8193dabcbf5f88681afda0fd.JPG

Avoid prolonged blipping of the LeRhone 120-125 hp on the Sop 1B1 - tends to catch fire...

img00003.thumb.JPG.77e180dcfa63825b26f7bb353a2929f4.JPG

And then spreads quickly...

img00006.thumb.JPG.d25447ef76dc2be6ac124aeb68a50e36.JPG

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 4