streakeagle

SF2 KAW Mod is the single greatest reason to own/play SF2

I was drawn to SFP1 by the F-4 Phantom. At the time early work in progress screenshots of SFP1 were being posted at SimHQ, I was flying Jane's USAF because it was the best option for the F-4/Vietnam era at the time. Wings Over Vietnam provided what I thought SFP1 should have been upon release: historical Vietnam map with carriers, the only thing missing was clouds. Wings Over Europe added clouds and the F-15A. But the user made addon, Korean Air War, was the outstanding centerpiece of the SFP1/WoX series. MiG Alley was the go to sim for the Korean War and allowed the player to experience the F-86, P-51, F-80, F-84, and MiG-15. But SFP1 KAW brought a much more up to date platform with superior modeling of everything except the gunsight. Fast forward quite a few years to the release of KAW for SF2. The terrain pushes the limits of what is possible in SF2. The available plane set is simply amazing. My preference is flying the Razbam F2H-2 payware addon aircraft, but the option to fly F7F Tigercats and F3D Skynights as night fighters isn't possible in any other sim. The experience is almost as good as possible on a PC at present. Only DCS World is poised to surpass SF2 KAW, but to date, no announcement has been made to support a Korean War map/objects and the only available flyable aircraft are the F-86F, P-51D, and MiG-15bis. Unless DCS decides to step up to the plate, I doubt there will be any combat flight sim that will surpass SF2 KAW in the foreseeable future. It is a shame that the Korean War isn't more marketable and that Third Wire never produced their own KAW product, but the free user made KAW SF2 would be hard to beat.

• Like 6

It is my favorite mod also, for all the reasons you mentioned, although others are extremely good. The KAW mod just puts you there, in a way that not many mods can. It amazes me sometimes what I've gotten for free around here, and the KAW mod amazes every time I fire it up.

• Like 1

You're Welcome 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm agree with You streakeagle! :good:

I like KAW and plenty of others beautiful mods!

If only TK could update SF2... technologies (GPU, CPU, Windows, etc) are being evolved from the last (ultimate?) 2013 patch!

• Like 2

The hours of work that went into KAW over the years will never be replicated by commercial sim. Freeware has its limitations. It can be slow. The quality is inconsistent. The community becomes fragmented over time. If the work isn't accomplished fast enough, the project often dissolves before making any real progress. The original SFP1 version that worked with Service Pack 2a was quite good. But all of the additional years poured into the development of the current SF2 release is quite noticeable and an amazing achievement. Thanks to everyone that was involved :)

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 4

I'm back :) 

perfect mod to install and try out first , it's  been a while .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, streakeagle said:

The hours of work that went into KAW over the years will never be replicated by commercial sim. Freeware has its limitations. It can be slow. The quality is inconsistent. The community becomes fragmented over time. If the work isn't accomplished fast enough, the project often dissolves before making any real progress. The original SFP1 version that worked with Service Pack 2a was quite good. But all of the additional years poured into the development of the current SF2 release is quite noticeable and an amazing achievement. Thanks to everyone that was involved :)

Very good definition of freeware.

We are lucky with SF2