Sign in to follow this  
Ron-10-4

Mission Accomplished

Hi All --

I am a newbie, so please forgive what is probably the "obvious"....

I have learned to use the Extractor Util, that some installations require (but don't mention) using Extractor to move a file "outside" of the .cat file, and I have successfully installed a number of Aircraft, ships, Missions, and Compaigns. I want to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you who have produced this plethora of additions and improvements to an already GREAT game - Strike Fighters Project 1.

When I start a number of missions (Runway being just ONE), the mission begins with "Mission Accomplished". Is there any "setting" that will cause the "Mission Accomplished" to be posted when the Primary targets are actually destroyed instead of "automatically" at the mission start??

Thanks,

Ron

It sounds like you have messed something up with your mods as that shouldn't be happening.

Is this happening in the stock missions/campaign or just in addons?

I have had this happen several time and without many mods. I think I have only the A1H installed. I am up to the latest service pack on WOV. I started a mission last night and SEAD/Iron Hand mission as part of a Rolling Thunder Campaign. I was pre-launch on the carrier deck and I got the message : Mission Complete.!

I think there is a gremlin out there..... but it only happens a sometimes.

Hi Buff and Golden Eagle --

The "stock" missions that come with the game, AND many of the "add-on" missions behave just fine. The Mission Accomplished is properly issued when I destroy the primary target. The "failure" only happens on some missions (and ONE time I ran a mission once with the msg issued up front, and subsequently it worked fine. I changed the "Rating for Success" parameter from 100 to 90 on that one and it worked. However, subsequent failing missions have 90% or less to begin with and changing does not SEEM to affect it.

As Golden Eagle said -- It seems like a "Gremlin" is at work......

In addition, I THINK I saw this problem mentioned in a "forum" I read when I first logged on to this terrific site (not long ago). Unfortunately, I can't relocate it -- I've hunted and thought for several days before I created this thread. I THINK I recall a solution being mentioned as changing some parameter, and I have a vague recollection that it MAY have been something that WAS 100% and changed to any number less than 100.

Is there a way to search the site for a "phrase" such as "Mission Accomplished"?? Perhaps I can find it that way.

I really appreciate your help and patience. Buff. Anything you can think of that might help would be, as always, greatly appreciated. I also appreciate your confirming entry, Golden Eagle. It has most likely saved me an inconvenient re-install of the base and all the mods (quite a few in my case)......

Thanks,

Ron

PS -- to anyone who can help --

I have a secondary problem that has me buffaloed. Some missions require objects (usually aircraft) that I can't find - Even when I search many sites other than THE best one I have found.

If I make a copy of a MIG29 for example, and change it to be a MIG28 by simply changing the names, will it "work". OR ... if I change the mission entries from "MIG28" to "MIG29", will THAT work?? This, incidentally, is the problem with the mission called "Yowza"......

Thanks,

Ron

This may answer your first question,,,i think it has to do with how the mission was created,,,by not assigning a waypoint to a target or something,,check this out maybe it will shed some light.... :)

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bb...t=001332#000000

As far as the other prob,,,you can change the aircraft name in any mission as far as i know,,,example: if the mission was designed with a F-4J you can rename it to a F3D or F8D,,& those planes will be used instead.,,Just open the mission in notepad & change the aircraft,...(it's entered in two places i believe).

Hi dfang --

Thanks for your advice, counsel, and guidance, dfang -- AND for confirmation that changing the aircraft name in a mission will have the effect of successful replacement of the aircraft......

I have not tested things yet, but I am optimistic and appreciative....

And now off to simhq 001332.......

Thanks,

Ron

Hi (Again) dfang --

Fantastic "find", dfang. I am pretty sure you pointed me to the exact thread I thought I had read earlier in my SFP1 "career".......

I'm not sure I know how to assign a target to a waypoint (in fact I have NO IDEA), but it certainly appears that solution feasability has been demonstrated.....

I will go play and see what I can do.... In the mean time, if you (or anyone) has the time and generosity to provide a little detail on how to create a "target - waypoint link", progress would be made toward my day being made....

Thanks,

Ron

PS: dfang --

Sorry for the disjointed fragmentation of these posts ....

Are you willing to share how you found the thread on "Mission Accomplished"??

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

Go here: http://www.simhq.com/ ...

Then go to Forums,Strike Fighters/Wings Over Vietnam,...In the upper right where it has NEW TOPIC,,,click on search,,then enter what your looking for ie: "Mission Accomplished"... :)

Using Kreelin's latest mission for SFP1 or WOV

To assign a target to a waypoint,,i think,,you create your waypoints as you would normally do when making your mission,,Say you want a airfield to be a target,,,

Make one of your waypoints over the airfield,,go ahead and complete all the waypoints in the mission,,,then come back to the one over the airfield,,zoom in to enlarge the airfield,,making sure your waypoint marker is exactly on the runway,,,then RT click on it,,a window should pop up giving you three choices,,down at the bottom click on the one saying "Make this Waypoint a target" or somethin like that,,,then another window will pop up verifying it.... :)

There are alot of people much more accomplished than i making missions,,im lucky just to make a round trip mission ,,,with no frills..... :biggrin:

Good luck..

Hi dfang --

Thanks for the search pointer. I tried using the search at THIS site (I believe), but did not have any luck. So, I guess the SIMHQ is some sort of a "Top-Hat" site is it??

The detail on the mission structure is a bit beyond me at this tender point in my flight sim career. I have not created any missions, and in fact haven't even downloaded the Mission Editor yet. Guess I better get to it....

I guess there is no simple way to modify the "text" of an existing mission to accomplish this is there??

Thanks once again,

Ron

Where could i find said mission??

You can make some changes by opening the mission in notepad & editing it there,but exactly what all can be changed i really don't know...

Hi dfang --

Runway.msn can be found in "Missions_PAK_3" (at this site). That is not the only mission that does this, but I would have to go back and re-run some to find other specific ones.

I was toying with trying to change the text of the last target and the weighpoint position parameters, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and help....

Ron

Hi Ron,

I finally got around to d/l mission pac 3,....& tried running the missions,,you are correct,,i tried the Runway.msn first,,,when it loaded,,,it said "mission accomplished RTB",,i tried making changes to it,with no success,,so i tried some other missions in that pac, same thing,...i just deleted those missions that didn't run without a problem... .

It's something to do in how the mission was designed,,,who knows,,i make my own missions, & don't have a problem like that.There are so many things in designing a mission that one little miscue can pork the mission...

Maybe someone with more knowledge than i could spend the time & effort in diagnosing the problems with some of these missions...

But, bottom line is,,,it's a mission problem,,not your problem... :biggrin:

Hi dfang --

WOW !!!!!! Thanks for spending all of that time and energy on "my" problem. I really appreciate the help and thoughtfulness.....

I guess I will exercise the [Del] key this afternoon....

Thanks a TON, dfang....

Ron