Sign in to follow this  
Guest chuckpuah

EAW Windows 10

Guest chuckpuah

Hi everybody. I´m a big fan of European Air War game, i was wondering if you have a link to download it for Windows 10, and bring me back to the best WW2 combat simulator ever.

Is there anything you could do for me? Thanks to you all. 

David. Venezuela

Sure, V1.0 (The CD) or 1.1 or 1.2 (official patches) or the EAWPRO or v1.28+ (preferably v1.60) will all run on Win10, 32 bit or 64 bit, 'natively'

Read my  'First Use' and  'Install'  Help Documents for details at my EAW Help Site:  eaw.neocities.org

Edited by MarkEAW

There are two new issues as of this year with Win10 and EAW. (Actually these issues came April 2018 and perhaps a month or two before)
-The Frame rate is lower...(Lower than Win7)
-The screen transitioning to the flight screen and back is extremely slow; (for the screen to change while the game loads or unloads textures and models, etc...)
Its gone from a 2 sec screen switch up to 10 secs  or more. (The Win10 April 2018 update did this).

*Using the DXWND wrapper cures performance issues now that the Wrapper works correctly in Win10 (It didn't before with EAW correctly). FPS and Screen transitioning is fast again. Althought the plans apear to jitter slightly, like a little lag.

*You can use EAW in Win10 'nativly' if you wish. See my EAW Help Site for usage.

Edited by MarkEAW
updated text to new findings

Mark, I'm upgrading to a Win 10 computer with 2nd Gen I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, and a GEForce GT 1030 graphics card.  The Card is FAR from cutting edge, and the rest is not exactly pushing  cutting edge, either. Still, it's big step up from what I had in my old Win 7 system, which (surprisingly) ran EAW v1.28e, EAWPRO, and V1.60 all with graphics set near to max.

So just a head's up that I might be re-reading your Help Site, with a particular view to Win 10 compatibility.

Oh, and asking some questions, too, Lol! 

I seen this post.

In anticipation I reviewed some of my Troubleshoot Help Document. Rearrange a few things and corrected a little bit of text. Mind you most of the updates where based on info I carried in my head till now about Win10 troubleshoot. Primary since I have been EAW AWOL a month or more.

Ask or inform me of anything you noticed or need help with. Thanks!

On 3/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, RIBob said:

Mark, I'm upgrading to a Win 10 computer with 2nd Gen I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, and a GEForce GT 1030 graphics card.  The Card is FAR from cutting edge, and the rest is not exactly pushing  cutting edge, either. Still, it's big step up from what I had in my old Win 7 system, which (surprisingly) ran EAW v1.28e, EAWPRO, and V1.60 all with graphics set near to max.

So just a head's up that I might be re-reading your Help Site, with a particular view to Win 10 compatibility.

Oh, and asking some questions, too, Lol! 

If you're moving to Windows 10 with an nVidia graphics card, you won't be able to get Horizon Fog in D3D. In order to get it, you will need to run the game in Glide, which rules out proper widescreen.

You loose the Horizon Fog Graphic when used with NVIDIA Video Cards on WInXP and above. (actually you can loose the fog on earlier systems with more modern vid cards).

The Glide Mode will restore The HFG. When used with nGlide wrapper or any other. The new exes made by independent CodeGroup use v3.0 Glide. Standard EAW use Glide 2.43 I think. So make sure the wrappers supports the Glide version the eaw.exe uses.

Widescreen (BIG Stretched Screen or even Big 4:3 ratio) in Glide is possible, but most of the time it just won't except the values you enter. Direct3D Mode easily supports higher resolution.

Edited by MarkEAW

1 hour ago, Sky High said:

If you're moving to Windows 10 with an nVidia graphics card, you won't be able to get Horizon Fog in D3D. In order to get it, you will need to run the game in Glide, which rules out proper widescreen.

Well, I'm keeping Win 7 computer for at least a while, until I fully understand Win Virtual Machine.  I have Win 98 and Win XP Pro OpSys available for VM, and others, as I require them.

Win 10 computer is necessary to deal with the present, and the future.

Frankly, with all the bitter, pointless,  infighting present for a long time in the EAW "community", I'm discouraged from participating in EAW discussions.  I've already been unfairly temp banned from another site, and am reluctant to get involved with similar discussions on this site.

Pity, as EAW is a great sim, except for many of the people who have made it great.   Life is too damn short for that sort of BS.

@RIBob , Sorry about the other thread where it goes more off topic by my posts as well as others. :\

I wouldn't worried about getting banned, say what you gotta say, no offence but perhaps you have something important to say? It could be about me or any other EAW members.
I'm not afraid to read and respond. :)

Anyhow don't let us ares ruin your enjoyment of EAW, what ever version or mod you use.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, MarkEAW said:

@RIBob , Sorry about the other thread where it goes more off topic by my posts as well as others. :\

I wouldn't worried about getting banned, say what you gotta say, no offence but perhaps you have something important to say? It could be about me or any other EAW members.
I'm not afraid to read and respond. :)

Anyhow don't let us ares ruin your enjoyment of EAW, what ever version or mod you use.

No problem with anything that I've ever seen you post, Mark.  You and I think alike, mostly, and what we disagree on isn't worth mentioning.  Win 10 Comp is ready to go, but I discovered I need a unique cable to access the drive with all my backup programs.  Win 7 comp off-line (for now), so I'm waiting on the damned cable. I should have ordered it ling ago, but it got overlooked.

Well if you have a problem, don't hesitate to inform me. I'll try to be gentle as you helped me out and others a lot with your feedback of some of my Help Documents and overall site re-organization.
That's worth something in my book.

Hope you get the cable you need soon!

Win10 EAW Menu Transition Slow Down introduced back in April of 2018: Has been fixed in the latest win10 updates and /or the nvidia driver in the past month.

All I know is I tried EAW out recently and found that the menu screens come up with only a instant to 2 sec delay of black screen.

I may research later into why this is, but not sure when. or if I will beable to determine what fixed it.
So if you have ideas or proof please let me know.

EDIT:
It could possibly be that I installed the DX9 (all versions of 9) on my Win10 system from a old game that came with a DX installer(the latest) available. It just a guess as I was thinking the DX files where corrupt or missing. Anyhow I dont have those long delays anymore for the menu screens changing.

Basically I'm saying if you still have long 10 seconds or more menu screen transitioning in EAW to try the full June2010 DX9 download from Microsoft. It may be that it contains more DX files EAW runs better with.
It contains the same DX9( varous versions that Win10 has). It won't harm your Win10 computer since it replaces corrupt DX files and adds updates only. (missing or older files).

Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

If you confirm your menu delay before installing the June2010 DX9 versions, please let us know , thanks.

Edited by MarkEAW
add link

Hey, Mark, the new Win 10 "Gaming Machine" is finally on-line.  Latest (and final, I hope) delay was caused by the installation of a new Monitor, fully compatible with Nvidia  2060 GFX card. 

I plan to install EAW into the Win 10 comp, copy it, then overlay the latest version of EAWPRO onto the copy.   To begin with, I will use a "Stripped" version of EAW, as you reference on your Site.  I will run it, and edit the INI thus created to suit my preferences.   Once the V1.2 EAW game is running OK,   I'll make a copy of that, and then use the copy as a basis for the inclusion of NGlide, and almost certainly set up D3W wrapper program once the game is running ok.  Make a copy of that, and overlay latest version of EAWPRO onto that.

Discard superfluous stuff.  I probably have existing copies of all the required elements on the "Win 7" SSD on the Gaming computer.  As an aside, I copied/cloned the entire Win 7 SSD from my Win 7 computer, and installed it onto an aux 2 Tb SSD "Slave Drive" on the Gaming comp.  Perhaps, since it also contains the Win 7 OpSys, I seem to be able to play all of the games stored there on my Win 10 computer.   Unsure how this is possible, but it seems to be happening, somehow.   

This last aside, do you think this is a correct plan of operations?  Suggestions?  Part of the reason for doing this is that a mutual friend is having difficulty getting EAWPRO running on Win 10, and I wanted to go through the Start-to-finish procedure, taking notes step-by-step.

Eventually, I want to install most everything now running on Win 7 computer into the new "Gaming computer", but that will take some time and effort.

Anyway, Critique of my Win 19 "step-by-step" plan, when you have time, and suggestions, please.  Needless to say, this would not be possible without your efforts, and your Help Site.

Thanks!

Hmm, the 'First Use' Help Document' on my site is where people should start.

One guy on here had issues with the INTRO Movie, he said he read my site, but I don't think he followed it like he was suppose to or he would had solved his own issue rather quickly.

-Don't Install, but select the files on the CD then copy them into a new folder on like your 2nd drive or someplace, check the install help doc.

-You'll want the 1.2 NoCD EXE and the empty 1kb MOVIES.CDF file off of my file archives. (If you need help finding them, PM me).

-Then get v1.2 running okay. Copy it and add the EAWPRO archive to it, over write files.

-You should be good to go, you may want the EAWPRO exe to write its own default eaw.ini.

-Its all on my site of course everything you need to know about getting EAW working....post here and I'll continue to help.

-You may want to forget the D3DWrappper, depends if it will help, but using it could have issues at first...I can explain later.

14 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

Hmm, the 'First Use' Help Document' on my site is where people should start.

One guy on here had issues with the INTRO Movie, he said he read my site, but I don't think he followed it like he was suppose to or he would had solved his own issue rather quickly.

-Don't Install, but select the files on the CD then copy them into a new folder on like your 2nd drive or someplace, check the install help doc.

-You'll want the 1.2 NoCD EXE and the empty 1kb MOVIES.CDF file off of my file archives. (If you need help finding them, PM me).

-Then get v1.2 running okay. Copy it and add the EAWPRO archive to it, over write files.

-You should be good to go, you may want the EAWPRO exe to write its own default eaw.ini.

-Its all on my site of course everything you need to know about getting EAW working....post here and I'll continue to help.

-You may want to forget the D3DWrappper, depends if it will help, but using it could have issues at first...I can explain later.

Thanks Mark!  I'll try to get to work on the project later today, and thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, no problem.

Just ask your questions when your ready or need too.

3 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

Yeah, no problem.

Just ask your questions when your ready or need too.

I'm almost positive I have a "stripped" version of EAW; one I made from the directions on your help site.  If not, I can re-create it easily enough.  By Stripped, I mean using your instructions to remove a number of files found on the original CD, which I also have.

Let's assume I have the stripped version, for now.  What are these things you mention: "You'll want the 1.2 NoCD EXE and the empty 1kb MOVIES.CDF file off of my file archives. (If you need help finding them, PM me). " ?  I don't recall using them before.    If I need then, please give me "idiot-proof" instructions on where to find them, and how to identify them once there.  Once I have both files, what do I do with them?  Simply unzip into stripped EAW folder, or what?

For now, I think it best to use a V1.2 version of EAW I.E., official patches only.  Where are GTG V1.1, and V1.2 patches to be found, in case I haven't stored them?  From there, it

s getting the game installed, set-up, and running OK.  Copy it, and then install EAWPRO.

As an aside, I have on the way a Track IR gizmo, and a set of Saitek foot pedals.  I'll tinker with that stuff after the install of EAWPRO.  Maybe both will work with EAW; I believe "Sky" somethingorother has made some comments vis-à-vis Track IR on SHQ.  I'll bug him about that.  Yes, I HAVE spent some $$ lately, but retirement is coming, so buy now while I still have a reasonable income, I figure.

Probably working on the "project" Sat afternoon.

Thanks again, Mark.

Well if you have a v1.2 up and running then I guess you don't need the NoCD exe. The MOVIES.CDF is 1kb in size, so maybe you want it or not.

The Empty Movie cdf is here

http://www.mediafire.com/file/436z7q1zca8481m/SmallorEmptyMoviesCDF.7z/file

The official patches I have here: (You only need v1.2 patch)

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/aoueg9jmc21nt/game-patch-official

Track IR:

I have instructions from a few people here in the joystick help doc (scroll down a bit):
https://eaw.neocities.org/joystick-controls.html#controlwork

Thats primarly just simple instructions, nothing majorly detailed, that the Track IR device should have instructions with it.

Thanks for very prompt reply, Mark!  I'll be looking into all this tomorrow PM, but great to have some prior info.

For the moment, I am assuming that I can recover a playable version of 1.2 from my files.  If not, then strip the CD, as per your instructions, and patch the remainder to v 1.2.  That's where the confusion about the two files you mentioned comes in.  I never needed them before, and I wonder why I need them now.  Of course, I was using Win 7x64 Pro, then,   and this install will be on win 10x64 PRO, if that makes a difference.

I'll restrain myself from tinkering with Track IR at the moment, and focus on EAW.  I believe it was member "SkyHigh" on the other Site who had some comments about Track IR there.  I have an IM directed to him about the subject, and we will see what happens.

Thanks for your Help, and will report back late tomorrow. 

OK, just found the "Stripped" version of EAW in my files.  Unzipped V1.2 patch into it, and then unzipped latest iteration of EAWPRO  into that.  Everything seems to be working fine.

Tried some of the NOCD/no music/no movies files on your site, but for some reason there was a very large cursor (pointer) right near dead center of the screen.

At any rate, all seems to be well.  Many thanks. 

e

18 minutes ago, RIBob said:

K, just found the "Stripped" version of EAW in my files.  Unzipped V1.2 patch into it, and then unzipped latest iteration of EAWPRO  into that.  Everything seems to be working fine.

Tried some of the NOCD/no music/no movies files on your site, but for some reason there was a very large cursor (pointer) right near dead center of the screen.

At any rate, all seems to be well.  Many thanks. 

Well, I spoke too soon.  Looks like every version I've tried to create winds up with a big 'ol cursor arrow as soon as the game starts.  

Doesn't appear till the flying starts, then it is there, immovable.  I doubt it's the games themselves, must be something about my computer.  

Any  ideas?

After you said you tried NoCD exe's over v1.2, are you still running EAWPRO? It should say so in the lower left hand corner of the main menu screen.

The cursor thing seems to be a very old problem, I only had that problem once, I run my eaw.exe either from a wrapper or directly by clicking on it.
So I don't know for sure whats going on with it. I think Jel said run it from a shortcut on the desktop or from the taskbar to remove the arrow.

3 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

After you said you tried NoCD exe's over v1.2, are you still running EAWPRO? It should say so in the lower left hand corner of the main menu screen.

The cursor thing seems to be a very old problem, I only had that problem once, I run my eaw.exe either from a wrapper or directly by clicking on it.
So I don't know for sure whats going on with it. I think Jel said run it from a shortcut on the desktop or from the taskbar to remove the arrow.

Hmmmmmmm.  I'll try the shortcut, and report back tomorrow.  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, RIBob said:

Hmmmmmmm.  I'll try the shortcut, and report back tomorrow.  Thanks.

Both game and shortcut are on desktop, and the problem still exists.  maybe I should put game at root of C, and create shortcut on desktop..  May

14 hours ago, RIBob said:

Both game and shortcut are on desktop, and the problem still exists.  maybe I should put game at root of C, and create shortcut on desktop..  May

Success!  Both V1.2 and EAWPRO both work properly now.  Now to re-create both versions using a V1.2 No CD/No movies basis.  I wouldn't mind retaining the music, as it gives some "flavor".  Does such a V1.2 NO CD/NO Movies exist, and, if so, how is it labeled, and where can it be found?

Needless to say, my problems so far were caused by NOT following the explicit instructions given on your Help site; IOW, having the game folder reside on C drive, and them having shortcut on desktop.