Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

what does it mean

I tried recently some planes which were in the Malvine campaign pack, which I guess is a  pre-2008 patch thing. They all work well in WOI except one, the TC-34C Mentor which explodes in the first second on the runway. What is the cause of sudden explosion of the aircaft in game ? I thought first that  maybe it's old model etc , but the others , from the pack are too, so it is supposed to work. What went wrong I wonder...?

I managed to see what happens seconds before plane explodes. It bounces slightly and enters, tilting, into the ground at a 45 degree angle and explodes...I tried it with stock terrains and it does the same...Also the airfields.ini files are in the terrain folder as Wrench instructed in an old thread but it didn't help.

Edited by UllyB

Many of the old models have landing gear issues. I saw those problems a lot in the past and could usually address them my adjusting the rolling radius on one of the main wheels. The trick is to see which way the plane flips when it appears on the runway. If it flips to the left, try increasing the rolling radius on the L/H main wheel OR decrease the Rolling radius on the R/H main wheel. If it flips to the right, do the opposite. The aircraft models seem to be very sensitive to any errors in the landing gear geometry so you will want to use very small increments when adjusting the rolling radius.

well actually it literally flips forward, with no shifting in sides...It simply falls in its...nose a sort of speak. I guess I have to fiddle with the main gear rolling radius ? Thanks anyway for the insight, now I am no longer in the dark when encountering this sort of problem.

Edited by UllyB

28 minutes ago, UllyB said:

well actually it literally flips forward, with no shifting in sides...It simply falls in its...nose a sort of speak. I guess I have to fiddle with the main gear rolling radius ? Thanks anyway for the insight, now I am no longer in the dark when encountering this sort of problem.

Sounds like an issue with the nose gear data, maybe a typo or something. I could take a quick look if you want to post the data.ini here, as a zipped file or just copy/paste the entire data.ini in your reply.

ok I will, here you go.Mentor_DATA.ini and thank you once again. You helped me in the past with that SU-25 (plane was tipping on a side slowly in time) and you help me now again.

Are you flying on the old Malvinas map ? If you are it's a terrain issue with that particular map.

Sorry I didn't read your post properly, does sound like a gear problem though....or maybe a hitbox making contact with the ground,  what happens if you start your mission in the air ?

Edited by Sundowner

no , I don't. I use malvinas planes on WOI and I have compatible other terrains (Desert Storm/GermanyCE/Israel2/PersianGulf/Madagascar/Cuba2011/VietnamSea and the default of WOI). First I tried it (the original map , the one with DESERT.CAT added) but, unfortunately, the campaign is unplayable. Do you know by chance if The Malvinas campaign was ever remade after 2008 patches ? If not , it's a shame....that conflict had really big potential.

After a quick look I noticed each landing gear is using a different animation ID.  Never saw that before.  Best bet at this point is to check the Mentor animation ID's using Mue's Lod viewer.

ok I'll take a look, but I really have no idea how just looking to an animation it would spark a solution into my mind for that.

There are some other items that can be checked in the lod viewer as well but the set up for the animation ID's looks unusual.

Just noticed another issue. The nose gear doesn't have a MaxDeploySpeed entry. Try adding this, same as the main gears. MaxDeploySpeed=77.2

Edited by baffmeister
extra info

alright, I'll do that, and tell you what happened after. Thanks for staying with me.

Sundowner's idea should be tried as well, if you haven't already. Start the mission in the air and see if the gear will cycle up and down.

adding that value solved the issue, many thanks man!