RUSTYMORLEY

NORTON users

ADVICE FOR NORTON ANTI - VIRUS USERS

The other day I spent an hour or so online browsing and checking into my regular websites. When I switched my computer on the following day I found out that my NORTON settings for Tamper Protection, Anti-Virus and Firewall had been turned off. Yet I was the only person using the computer that day. Somehow my NORTON settings had been accessed and turned off. I was unable to re-set NORTON manually and had to connect to the NORTON server to get it back up and running.

I guess the advice I am offering is to go in and check your NORTON settings yourself on a regular basis to see if anything has been altered or changed without your knowledge or input after spending some time online.

• Thanks 1

That's odd.

Thanks for the heads up. I've double checked my setting all is well and I'll keep that in mind to do it often.

I recently viewed a poll regarding best Anti-Virus software available on the internet. I was a little suprised to discover that NORTON had had slipped down the table quite a lot according to techradar.com (Antivirus Software Reviews).

HMMMMMMM, May need to look at something else. !!!

Something I learned from someone years ago. Hackers tend to target the top dog. Who wants to hack some anti-virus no one cares about? So as long as they can protect my computer well and hackers want to ignore attacking Norton ...but I could be thinking wrong.

Honestly in the day and age I think they're all the same. Just different packages.

There's been a lot of activity lately and disabling protection software is often goal one of malcontent. Really goes to show that you need to be on  your A Game these days.

21 hours ago, Erik said:

There's been a lot of activity lately and disabling protection software is often goal one of malcontent. Really goes to show that you need to be on  your A Game these days.

I am not entirely sure but I may have been the victim of such an attack. Maybee the hackers are trying to disable protection software so that they can access your private and personal information with a view to cloning your identity. ???

my computers got trashed on a regular basis several years back.  I switched to Norton and has been smooth sailing ever since. 

remember which anti-virus program has links back to Russia.  The REAL Russian connection.....

but nothing is ever completely secure.  It does take vigilance and frequent checking.  I check my stuff every time I bring the system up and its the first thing I do.

of course, OPM, IRS and Equifax have all handed all my stuff and security background files out there.  :censored:

10 hours ago, Typhoid said:

my computers got trashed on a regular basis several years back.  I switched to Norton and has been smooth sailing ever since. 

remember which anti-virus program has links back to Russia.  The REAL Russian connection.....

but nothing is ever completely secure.  It does take vigilance and frequent checking.  I check my stuff every time I bring the system up and its the first thing I do.

of course, OPM, IRS and Equifax have all handed all my stuff and security background files out there.  :censored:

I am going to be more careful now that this has happened, I intend to start checking my security settings more regularly and downloading the NORTON updates everytime I connect to the web  - before I go surfing. 

10 hours ago, Typhoid said:

It's common with malware/viruses to disable existing protection in order to start their malicious activities without a problem

Norton or any other signature based AV is not a good solution (they only stop between 20-40% [at best]), try using better anti-malware...

I might suggest as well to use sandbox software for unknown executables

All of those defensive postures help the cause, and AV is an absolute necessity - you need to keep your protection current.  But also important is to be sure your backup and restoration media are loaded with recent versions of your data and not routinely connected to your machine(s).  And when the inevitable (either from a mechanical hardware failure of a drive, or a software issue/problem from a bona fide provider, or the malicious hack of your system by some outsider) happens, I can speak from personal experience that a comprehensive system image folder has saved my a$$ on a couple of occasions over the past five years...      

AV is not a necessity since it doesn't really work or help... otherwise, no one would have developed new technologies in the field

BTW, I'm using Windows Defender (since it's free and there..) and a deception based endpoint protection my brothers(/partners) and I developed :)

On 17/10/2017 at 1:43 PM, Nesher said:

AV is not a necessity since it doesn't really work or help... otherwise, no one would have developed new technologies in the field

BTW, I'm using Windows Defender (since it's free and there..) and a deception based endpoint protection my brothers(/partners) and I developed :)

Would any of you consider having good Anti-Malware be more important than Anti-Virus then. ???

HMMMMMMMMM, You could be right Nesher. Anti-Virus may be on the decline as opposed to other forms of protection as the threat to computers seems to be evolving into other more sophisticated forms of attack. But I will still keep mine for the time being.