Geezer

2048 Terrain Tiles

I continue my experiments with terrain tiles in an effort to make FE2 sorta/kinda resemble the flight sims of the mid-oughts. 

I've successfully tested 2048 airfield tiles and using jpg files drastically reduces the amount of data to be processed, so I'm hoping it will be possible to use 2048x2048 jpg terrain tiles for the entire map.  The latest test 2048 art looks promising even though I need to improve the roads, cobblestone streets, furrows, etc.  Click for hi-res images.

Town Grid-2.jpg

Town Grid-4.jpg

Europe1-1.jpg

Town Grid-1.jpg

• Like 10

Another consideration is jpg format degrades the depth of color.  See below for the three main types of art files - bmp, dds, jpg - and their effect on the image.  I can compensate for that to a limited degree by reducing the brightness of the finished art by just a hair.

msg-39531-0-18838600-1494770649.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Geezer said:

I continue my experiments with terrain tiles in an effort to make FE2 sorta/kinda resemble the flight sims of the mid-oughts. 

I've successfully tested 2048 airfield tiles and using jpg files drastically reduces the amount of data to be processed, so I'm hoping it will be possible to use 2048x2048 jpg terrain tiles for the entire map.  The latest test 2048 art looks promising even though I need to improve the roads, cobblestone streets, furrows, etc.  Click for hi-res images.

Holy cow Geezer, those titles look stunning! :good:

18 hours ago, Geezer said:

Looks nice!:good:

Quack74 has done some very creative work on his WIP Verdun map.  He carefully made a city street grid match the building layout.  I intend to explore this concept further, as it is the only way to make towns/cities look realistic.

img00004.JPG

• Like 2

just make sure that the TODs leave room to add targetable "terrain objects". I've found that densley populated TODs make it almost impossible to get "the usual suspects" added to a terrain.

but, MAN THEY LOOK GREAT!! (is Quack's city walled??? It looks like battlements around the city's edge!!!!)

Below is a shot of Quack74's 1024 size art on a standard FE tile.  I dropped some of my buildings onto the tile for scale effect.  By increasing the art size to 2048, the increase in pixel density should be enough to sorta/kinda look realistic.  Note this increase will only work in FE2 - only second generation games can run dds and jpg format art on ground tiles.

Town-1.jpg

• Like 4

The tiles are not the problem in terms of feasability. The issue is with the TOD files (amount needed). Creating TOD files is a nightmare..compared to this task it's rather easy to produce a set of nice looking tiles.

• Like 4

But the tiles looks like something fantastic! Awful nice aerial view!

I'm amazed at this work!:yikes:

But I'm upset that it'll work only in FE2:dntknw: But that doesn't matter - it'll be good for people who have FE2, not FE1 or Gold

Edited by JacksonM