Stratos

Visiting New York city and Washington next week, Need your help.

Hello all!

So, my wife and I (34 and 35) are going to visit New York and Washington DC for 10 days starting next Thursday. I have big plans for places to visit, and my wife loves me so much that she agreed on visiting with me the USS Intrepid in New York together with the Smithsonian and the Steven Udvar-Hazy museum in Dulles airport (yipiii!). I’m wondering If someone can help us with tips and idea to improve our visit. Ideas of less known places to visit or restaurants to enjoy while in those cities, specially Washington as ther'es less info for tourists readily available.

I have two main questions, first of all, to reach Times Square from JFK, is Air Train to Jamaica Station and then E line direction world trade center and leave at 42nd street station??

And specially, which will be the best way to visit the Udvar-Hazy museum? Our hotel is on embassy row, just behind the White House. Should we take a taxi or is there cheaper ways to reach the museum and back? Cause it seems the museum is pretty far I think a taxi will be really expensive. Man I hope not to miss that museum, can't think other museums where one can see a P38, Hellcats, Corsairs and the mighty Thunderchief!

Thanks guys!

P.S. Renting a car is out of question, last thing I want to experiment is having a car crash in another country.

I want pictures, lots of pictures. I've never been, and am not planning to go. But I wouldn't mind seeing, reading, and knowing what it's really like. I hope you are wife stay safe, have fun, enjoy your visit and the food there.

Stratos, a taxi would be quite expensive.   You can take the Washington Metro (subway/light rail system) to the Reston East station, then take the Fairfax Connector bus line to go from the station to the Udvar Hazy center.

I have not used this particular bus line, as I live within driving distance.  However, I can assure you that the metro/bus system in this area is safe and efficient.   

The Udvar Hazy facility is BEAUTIFUL.  You should allow plenty of time to see all of the aircraft and spacecraft.  I hope your wife is a patient person, or also an aviation fanatic, like many of us on this site.  

Buen viaje, y mandame un mensaje por este pagina si tienes mas preguntas.  Vivia un tiempo en Sudamerica y hablo castellano.  

• Like 1

Sorry, my last post was not specific.  According to an internet search, Fairfax Connector bus number 983 will take you from the Metro station to the Udvar Hazy center.  The entire trip (bus and train) should cost you less than $10 per person.  The trains/buses are more expensive during peak commuting hours. 

• Thanks 1

Heh, if you go to Dulles and Intrepid you will see 2 of the shuttle orbiters, not to be missed!

Today is the big day. Hope to found my way in the metro and the Fairfax connector!

more news if we succeed.

Mission accomplished!! Fucking amazing museum. More info when I get back home.

• Like 1

P.S. Renting a car is out of question, last thing I want to experiment is having a car crash in another country.

Sorry for being late to the party.

I wouldn't give it a second thought: Driving in the US is generally pretty cool, relaxed and less annoying than back here (Europe, Germany in particular). Way less people with a thing to prove (or two) and nobody drives with a knife between their teeth. Yes, you'll meet the occasional d1ckhead, but show me a place without those... NYC is problably the wrong place for starters, but if you go back for another visit (to a more rural area), you're better off renting.

Where's the "more info" part, btw? :biggrin: