Erik

If you had to buy a new automobile.

Keeping things realistic budget wise and considering it will be a daily driver what would you recommend and maybe some reasons why? Yes I'm in the market but there's so much cool stuff out there these days.

I'd prefer a car with turbo charger/s that would be comfortable like my Hyundai I30 (similar to the 2010 Elantra touring in the US)... perhaps an SUV if you're looking for a big car and not a sedan/hatchback

• Thanks 1

since i dont see in the specs that it has to be factory fresh (and therefore new to you)...

10060640-1977-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-std-c.thumb.jpg.94d94b477dc91476b078cc717d86311b.jpg

under 20 grand,  blonde not included!

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Thanks 1

How many miles do you need to drive Daily?

Do you have a minimum performance threshold (acceleration) ?

Does it need to carry the kids?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm driving a Ford focus 2015.

Its okay *for me* If you're a tall dude I'd recommend something else. My primary concerns with my vehicle was insurance payments. Interestingly enough my driving is so good that even with a Mustang my insurance is extremely cheap when compared to others.

I've a had a few weird problems that were a result from someone doing the recall maintenance wrong. But nothing major.

And make for damn sure your new vehicle is either a standard transmission or full on automatic transmission. The mechanics, and manual, state, now get this, I do not have an automatic transmission. I have a transmission that shifts automatically. I can select a mode and manually shift gears if I want to. The engine sounds like it needs an oil change all the damn time the way it's designed because it doesn't have all of the other components a "true" automatic transmission has.

True story. When I hunting around for an affordable car I would call my insurance give them a VIN to a car that I was thinking about buying and she would tell me what my insurance rates would be. So just for some fun. I gave her the VIN to a 2014 Lamborghini Guirado. And she very calmly and professional said my insurance would be this stupid amount of money. For arguments sake 3-4K. I just remember it was the collision that was made the price that high. Everything else wasn't that bad really.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully my day job as an automotive market analyst can finally come in useful...

1. Which bodystyle do you prefer? Sedan? Coupe? Cabriolet? SUV? Crossover? Shooting Brake? Hatchback?

2. Premium / non premium brand price point?

3. Buying outright? PCP? PCH? Lease? Bank Loan? If so, what's your monthly Total Cost of Ownership budget?

4. Powertrain / fuel type? Diesel / Petrol / Plug-in Hybrid / Mild Hybrid / Battery Electric?

5. Any specific features? Panoramic roof / Connectivity (remote start, Apple Carplay etc) / Advanced driver assistance (lane keep etc)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely rubbish list.  I'm waiting to buy the Lamborghini Aventador SV once I get access to my trust fund.  Next summer.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b0fd9ff6bda6fc36534ad779435008e.jpeg

Edited by Atreides
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Volvo S60.

But if I was gonna tell you my real suggestion: Porsche 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS with rear seat reinstallation.

• Thanks 1

All good food for thought and yes my needs will dictate decision. Kids, gotta haul them little buggers around safely since I can't strap them to the roof rack. I like toys, speed, and minimal carbon footprint. I'm really leaning toward a Tesla S Model but I'm having a hard time convincing myself I need the price. I've looked at most higher end sedans and crossovers and I really enjoyed the Lincoln MKT, again a bit pricey but it literally had everything I want (minus the self drive of Tesla) thing with the Lincoln is that it doesn't hold a residual value very well. MB S series, BMW 5 series, and Audi A7/S7 also nice contenders. I have to admit I have not looked at the Volvo so that's a great suggestion that I'll go do. If I could get a Tesla X with Toyota's hydrogen fusion engine this would not be up for debate. Until then I'm half slung on the proverbial commode. Wait or pull the trigger. Check the man card or get a sleeper. Side note the new Cadillac CT6 is pretty tasty but the Cadillac holds a worse residual than the Lincoln. Insurance isn't that big of deal. I routinely switch between Amica, Liberty Mutual, and State Farm to get on their lowest rates and save tons of money for great policies.

I'm all over the Aventador if they'll make a sedan version. 

• Like 2

tbh, if we're talking realistically here, I'd probably get me (or even my family) one of these:
image.thumb.png.413988d963bc74b7f7babf590ba525ca.png

Should be good enough to traverse through flooded roads here in the Philippines.

Now if we're talkin' dream cars that you'll never get to afford/obtain in your lifetime, on the other hand...

ferrari_100585902_l.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Volvo is a good choice, they have the best safety measures than most manufactures...

in the good old days you couldn't destroy a Volvo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Erik said:

I'm all over the Aventador if they'll make a sedan version.

Well here's the thing you have kids, I don't and yeah I'm well aware that I'm a privileged asshole cause of the trust fund (should definitely check my Anglo-Indian privilege) hence the reason I've already placed an order for the Aventador, will definitely post  GOPRO videos and pics of it when I get it next year. 

I work in finance now, what can I say the boom in your country's economy has made me money, thanks Donald. For my day to day I have a 2015  Maserati Quattroporte GTS V8 have to say the interior of it is now disappointing as its looks like that of an overpriced FIAT, thanks Obama !

EDIT:- Sedan based Aventador ?!?!?!?  You should ban yourself from posting for a month, blasphemer

Edited by Atreides
Erik is a blasphemer

If you are looking for a cheap reliable car with no frills and costs very little to run, I can recommend the SUZUKI ALTO (new shape). I can't believe how cheap it is to run,  it's only got a 3 cylinder engine and is just shy of 1000 cc, and if you live in the UK you don't pay any Car Tax on it.  I guess it depends what you are looking for. My friends laughed at me when I bought it, but they are paying a fortune in Car Insurance, Petrol and Car Tax in the UK for their vehicles.

• Thanks 1

The best way to find the perfect car is to go to the showrooms. Take a seat in the car and ask yourself how it feels. If it feels good then ask for a testdrive. If driving the car feels good, then it is a good solution. If you enter a car and you feel "Thats it!" then you have found your perfet car. Its only a question of feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drove a couple Volvo models. I wasn't unimpressed but I wasn't blown away either. The luxury refinements were lacking, the infotainment systems are cludgy, the performance was on the chunky side, and the steering / handling was obnoxious.

I'm leaning back toward the Tesla Model S after all this. I'm really concerned about build quality and durability. I'm not sure Tesla is out of it's growing pains yet. So I sit and ponder the meaning of life. 

Volvo is chinese-owned nowadays. The "built like a tank"-quality days are long gone.

I'd second the Miata, but with the rag-roof. No kids either here, though.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 3:35 AM, Erik said:

Drove a couple Volvo models. I wasn't unimpressed but I wasn't blown away either. The luxury refinements were lacking, the infotainment systems are cludgy, the performance was on the chunky side, and the steering / handling was obnoxious.

I'm leaning back toward the Tesla Model S after all this. I'm really concerned about build quality and durability. I'm not sure Tesla is out of it's growing pains yet. So I sit and ponder the meaning of life. 

Not intending to piss on your chips... we have a fleet of Teslas (Model S & X) at work (we evaluate competitor vehicles), and have found their build quality, especially the interior to be dogshit compared to other premium OEMs out there. Walk around their cars and inspect the panel gaps straight out of the factory... completely unacceptable for the sticker price, it doesn't fill you with confidence. We tried out ludicrous mode on the dual carriageways here... the performance is truly phenomenal, considering the mass of the vehicle with four fully grown blokes in it, but the novelty of that party trick will wear off... most people are not buying a luxury sedan for obscene acceleration. Having said all that, the technology in the vehicle is excellent and Tesla do offer 400kWh of free charging. In all, it's a great car, and they're very close to making it a segment leader, but it's not there yet.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jimbib said:

Not intending to piss on your chips... we have a fleet of Teslas (Model S & X) at work (we evaluate competitor vehicles), and have found their build quality, especially the interior to be dogshit compared to other premium OEMs out there. Walk around their cars and inspect the panel gaps straight out of the factory... completely unacceptable for the sticker price, it doesn't fill you with confidence. We tried out ludicrous mode on the dual carriageways here... the performance is truly phenomenal, considering the mass of the vehicle with four fully grown blokes in it, but the novelty of that party trick will wear off... most people are not buying a luxury sedan for obscene acceleration. Having said all that, the technology in the vehicle is excellent and Tesla do offer 400kWh of free charging. In all, it's a great car, and they're very close to making it a segment leader, but it's not there yet.

I don't disagree. I've been researching the heck out of what to do. I don't want to buy another IC auto for a few reasons but namely because as AF vehicles start dominating the market the ICs will be worthless. I'm feeling just a couple years too early to the AF market. I've looked into a 24 month lease on an Audi (highest residual value) as a bridge to get me to better AF options. With the "Season of Audi Promotion" going on right now they're almost paying you to get into a lease which would lower my cost of ownership significantly, which is very attractive.

The new Tesla Roadster is 1.9 seconds to 60 with a top speed of 250 Mph AKA sick insanity. Musk has set the mark high on his Veyron competing quarter million dollar price tag roadster which makes me think he's a genius or crazy.

I'll let you know when I pull the trigger on something.  

22 hours ago, Erik said:

The new Tesla Roadster is 1.9 seconds to 60 with a top speed of 250 Mph AKA sick insanity. Musk has set the mark high on his Veyron competing quarter million dollar price tag roadster which makes me think he's a genius or crazy.

Rather crazy. He is burning money in big numbers. His car company never wrote black numbers. And the technological advantage he had is shrinking like snow in the summer. The big automotive companies, like BMW are gaining very fast. Its only a question of time that Tesla is out, because of quality reasons. Especially compared with european quality standards.

• Thanks 1

I drove around most of Europe in a model very similar that I had purchased second hand when I was a young lad. I drove the literal piss out of that car and it never once let me down, broke down, or got over 50 Kph even downhill with the wind behind me. I have found memories of my time with the only auto that's a beauty challenged beast. No joke but I sold it a few months later for the same price so the entire trip I essentially paid for only petrol. If I close my eyes I can still smell that clothe interior which reminds of potato sacks. Ahhhh good times.

• Like 1