don246

Problems with my FE2

Tag for later responses, once I begin installing the "Realism Pack"

OK, unable to access alternate "Fronts" on modded FE2.  Started with July 2010, flyable version of the game, and added-in the VonS' mods starting with the earliest to latest (IIRC, 1989-1995).   Files downloaded and installed were from "Tweaked Flight Models and Realism Pack for FE2 9.5" 

Haven't seen options for choosing different fronts, nor the appropriate aircraft, either.  Wonder what I did wrong.

On another note, the initial d/l called for installing some stuff into folders that did not exist in main game directory, so I created the appropriate folders, and emplaced the empty folders into main game directory, them coped-pasted appropriate files into the folders where they were supposed to go.  Did I screw up? 

Edited by RIBob

Hello RIBob, the four different "front" folders I have in my FM updates pack is to help with organization of different aircraft types per theater, and also since sometimes the same types have different service dates for different theaters.

In order to access all four fronts (Italian, middle eastern, western, eastern, etc.), you need to build up four user folders in the relevant user directory for First Eagles 2 (in other words, you need four full folders ready that First Eagles 2 will access).

For FE2 to call up the user folder, it should be called as follows and located in the appropriate place on your hard drive:

user/Documents/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2

For example, I have four full folders installed under "Documents" (ThirdWire eastern, ThirdWire western, etc.) - in order to activate the theater I want, I rename it to ThirdWire, and I deactivate the current one I'm flying by placing extra info. in the name of the folder.

A bit cumbersome, but once you're all set up then it's easy to toggle different theaters on/off. Same procedure applies to the SF2 titles as well. The good part to this kind of approach is that you can then have different ground objects installed per theater, weather, clouds, etc. - since each folder becomes a full install. For SF2 I tend to have only one full folder, but several terrain folders inside that one, several aircraft folders too, and a couple of weapons and ground objects folders - and then I toggle stuff on/off as per taste - but for FE2 I recommend the full four theater approach (or full five if you are also running the North Sea terrain) - since FE2 will give you full immersion in WW1 that way.

Von S :flyer:

Edited by VonS

Also, please see this thread if you are having trouble getting aircraft to show up in the FE2 game menu that are available in my FM updates pack (for several of those, modified copies of already available full aircraft folders will be needed, as outlined in detail in the post):

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/91387-black-planes/

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS

I am just out the door for my 40th HS reunion, or I would ask more questions.  I will begin to do so tomorrow, though.  Much obliged for the very quick response!

It's obvious to me that I gaffed-up the installation of the files, and do not understand where they should go.  I've modded some games in the past, but installing these mods is stretching my knowledge envelope.  I hope you can be patient with the many forthcoming questions.  I am not exactly stupid, but I am certainly ignorant about some things, as can be seen.

2 minutes ago, RIBob said:

I am just out the door for my 40th HS reunion, or I would ask more questions.  I will begin to do so tomorrow, though.  Much obliged for the very quick response!

It's obvious to me that I gaffed-up the installation of the files, and do not understand where they should go.  I've modded some games in the past, but installing these mods is stretching my knowledge envelope.  I hope you can be patient with the many forthcoming questions.  I am not exactly stupid, but I am certainly ignorant about some things, as can be seen.

We'll be happy to help out - you will find the FE2 community to be one of the best WW1 sim communities on the internet. Also see the thread "Downloads for First Eagles" for other helpful links that I've just posted.

First of all, please allow me to thank you for taking the time to help me.  From comments, I believe your creation will be well worth the effort!

Let's begin by my describing my set-up, and what has already been done, and omitting unnecessary details for the sake of convenience.  I'll gladly supply same if it is necessary.

My computer (Win 7 (64), is adequate to run FE 2 (July 2010) with all graphics setting at highest levels, in Instant Combat  I might have seen a little bit of stuttering on rare occasions, may be not.

I have downloaded, and extracted the "FM Mod Pack", and have it sitting in a folder on Desktop, along with a copy of FE 2.  I have read the "ReadMe" incorporated with the FM Mod Pack, and do not fully understand the install process.  Theerfore, I made a botch-up of installing the files contained in the "FM Mod Pack".  At this point, I reckon it would be best to delete badly-modded version of FE2 on desktop, and substitute a copy of FE 2 game that resides Here:  The original, FE 2 game resides on C/ProgramFiles(x86)/Thirdwire/First Eagles 2.

Then, following instructions, I can successfully mod the version of FE 2 residing on desktop using the FM Mod Pack.

Let's start with a few basic, set-up type questions:

1) when looking at both the FE 2 copy on Desktop, I do not see some folders contained in the 1986 FM Mod Pack.  I do see most others.  I assumed that if a FM Mod Pack folder was labeled "ForXYZFolder", and no such folder currently exists in FE 2 Game, then such folder should be created by me alongside the folders that do already exist.

2) Sometimes there are sub-folders with the abovementioned folders.  What to do with them?

3) Please reiterate the creation, and best location of C drive of the various Theater folders.

So far, I believe it is mostly a question of my misunderstanding the folder architecture of the existing FE 2 sim, and exactly how (and where) to install the various folders contained within the FM Mod Pack.

sound like you're not looking (or installing to) in the right place for "user" folder.

Like the SF2 series, FE2 runs in 2 places:

1) the "core install', down in the /C:ProgramFiles/x86/ThridWird/FE2. and

2) the Mods Folder; usually in the *your name/saved games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2

since you said you're on Win7, that's where you'll find it.

You might also want to give the linked post below a read; while geared for SF2, the same basic information is used for FE2

this Mods Folder is where everything goes. Rule of thumb: if a needed folder dosen't exist (or come with a download, such as Effects, or Objects/Weapons, Terrains), you create one)

• Like 1

Hi Bob, if I've read your post correctly - I think you made a copy of the actual game folder for FE2 and were installing mods into that folder. The correct way to install things in FE2 and the SF2 series is only to mod the "user folder" for your game, not the actual game folder (see Wrench's helpful post above mine for more info.).

In terms of sub-folders available in my folders (in the realism/FM packs), some brief info. follows below:

- never copy over my folders into your user folder for FE2 but look for matching folders, or make copies of similar folders, rename them to match the folders I have (for new variants not present in your user folder for FE2), and then only copy over files located in my folders into your matching folders, overriding previous files that are there (this will provide correct installs since my FM packs only contain changed files, but not all the files that come with third-party addons such as for aircraft, ground objects, etc.)

- ground objects, weapons, and other addons are of course found in the relevant download threads for FE2, such as Stephen's Palestine terrain, and those objects, weapons, etc., should be installed first before any further modification is attempted using my further modded files (for example, you would have to already have installed in your ground objects folder of your user folder for FE2 various balloon types, such as the Drachen, etc., before you can further modify those files to give you early-war, low altitude balloons as I've modded for ver. 9.1 of the FM update pack - the relevant balloon folders in your user directory would then be copied, the copies renamed to the modded folders in my FM pack, and only the files located inside my modded folders copied over to the new folders you've made)

- also, when you are installing my files (such as for the modded ground objects, etc.), make sure to drill down all the way inside my folders since, for example, the low-lying early war balloon folders also contain "new" skins inside a skins folder that is nested further inside - skins in that folder should be copied over to the relevant skins folder that's already inside the relevant ground object folder of your user folder for FE2 (sounds a bit confusing but it's easy once you get some practice in installing the files)

- the general rule is always to copy over files into matching folders, or into folders that have been renamed to match my folders - but never copy over the folders themselves from my FM packs since I only include changed files in most cases, not full folders that will give you flyable planes, objects, etc.

Also, see the two pics. included below to see the difference between the actual game folder for FE2 and the user game folder for FE2 where you are supposed to install mods, additions, etc. (you will notice how the second pic., of the user folder, has different folders available).

The best thing to do is to delete the modded copy you have of the actual game folder for FE2 (that is a botched install), run a stock/unmodded install of FE2, quit the program, and then navigate to the user folder for FE2 that will have been created automatically (then make as many copies of the user folder as you like - and you can start modding those folders).

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

01_actualgamefolder.jpg

02_usergamefolder.jpg

Edited by VonS
Added info.

OK, I'll have a look at FE2 on my computer tomorrow, and try to follow your suggestions.  Will advise--and Thanks!

Found the User file, and will copy it to enable use of the 4 Theaters mentioned in FM Mod Pack.  

Are there any "Must-Have" addons/mods that I ought to install before the FM Mod pack?

My goal is to augment the game (while retaining/enhancing playability) to include as many updated features as reasonably possible-- or at least the essential ones that have been time-tested, and found of exceptional value.

For must-have mods, I recommend installing as many planes as you can find in the downloads section for FE and FE2, also pick up Stephen's pilots and observers, located under "cockpit mods." As well there are several good ground objects in the "objects mods" downloads section, and of course don't forget to pick up the excellent terrains in the relevant mods section, such as gterl's Italian terrain and other great ones - drill down to about the year 2012 and 2013 in the downloads sections to pick up the latest impressive additions for FE2.

The FM/realism pack should be installed after all of the other mods are installed. If there's anything I've missed I'm sure the rest of the FE2 community can pitch in with suggestions. You will also find some of the latest in-progress aircraft ready for download under the "new aircraft" thread.

20 hours ago, VonS said:

For must-have mods, I recommend installing as many planes as you can find in the downloads section for FE and FE2, also pick up Stephen's pilots and observers, located under "cockpit mods." As well there are several good ground objects in the "objects mods" downloads section, and of course don't forget to pick up the excellent terrains in the relevant mods section, such as gterl's Italian terrain and other great ones - drill down to about the year 2012 and 2013 in the downloads sections to pick up the latest impressive additions for FE2.

The FM/realism pack should be installed after all of the other mods are installed. If there's anything I've missed I'm sure the rest of the FE2 community can pitch in with suggestions. You will also find some of the latest in-progress aircraft ready for download under the "new aircraft" thread.

You are modest, as I have read, from others, that your FM is a particularly valuable contribution to the FE2 sim, and I say this not to slight the other very fine contributions made by others.

As some guidance on my desires for the game, I would much rather have fewer aircraft with realistic FMs than more with non-realistic FMs.  Can't say I am terribly interested in re-skinning a particular aircraft type with a particular skin, but that might change as my expertise level changes.  First things first, I reckon.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Wrench said:

sound like you're not looking (or installing to) in the right place for "user" folder.

Like the SF2 series, FE2 runs in 2 places:

1) the "core install', down in the /C:ProgramFiles/x86/ThridWird/FE2. and

2) the Mods Folder; usually in the *your name/saved games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2

since you said you're on Win7, that's where you'll find it.

You might also want to give the linked post below a read; while geared for SF2, the same basic information is used for FE2

this Mods Folder is where everything goes. Rule of thumb: if a needed folder dosen't exist (or come with a download, such as Effects, or Objects/Weapons, Terrains), you create one)

That is extremely helpful!  I have been installing Mods onto the SF 2 platform, and the similarities are readily apparent.  I should rise from the level of idiot to relatively accomplished Mod-installer fairly quickly now that I begin to understand the construction of the sim.  Many thanks!

As far as installing Mods to FE2, I am concentrating on those that add aircraft, terrains/campaigns, and such essential content.  Not terribly interested in menu screens or skins.  As such, I am focusing on mods specifically labeled for FE2, and ignoring those mods intended for FE1.  I understand that many of the latter might work, but I don't have the time required to install "possibles".   Naturally, this is not a slight on the FE1 Mods, or Modders.

I will install a fair amount of stuff, testing along the way before I install your very extensive package of FM/campaign Mods, as per your recommendation.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by RIBob
  • Like 1

Slightly OT but I'm back flying FE2 after a bit of a gap and still rate it alongside WoFF...if you take the mods into account, in particular the fact that with the aircraft now available, FE/FE2 leaves very little to be desired in terms of planeset...apart from an AW FK8 and a 1918 German general-purpose two-seater like an LVG C.VI or Albatros C.X/XII. More planes are promised for WoFF UE but I doubt they will ever come close to FE for the Western Front, let alone other theatres.

For must-have mods, if interested in the Western Front, I would include the A Team Skunkworks.  Modders who host their creations here at CombatAce have made better BE series planes. Halberstadt and Fokker D-types and there's now Geezer's Pfalz D.III; but as well as many other useful gap-fillers like the Pfalz D.XII, FE8 and SSW D.III, the A Team have the Pup, Strutter, Dolphin, Brisfit and FE2, all really must-haves for 1917-18. You do need to be patient and respect their rules to get access.

Where else but in FE/FE2 will you see sights like these:

img00004.JPG

img00045.JPG

img00101.JPG

img00056.JPG

img00051.JPG

img01052.JPG

img00821.JPG

img01009.JPG

img00773.JPG

img00901.JPG

img00859.JPG

For me the feeling of flight, combined with the stall indications, and the air-to-air combat, is actually significantly better than WoFF, on balance. Also better is the implementation of Flak/Archie. Not only can you see the guns firing (and strafe them if you feel bold!) but their activity is a vastly better indication of the presence of other aircraft - this is a big plus for FE.

The one thing I think is significantly worse in FE2 is the way enemy aircraft will follow you down and home, in packs to boot. If there was an AI or campaign mission tweak that would reduce this significantly - even a kludge of some description - well that would be top of my improvements list for this excellent and abiding sim

img00967.JPG

img01003.JPG

img01048.JPG

gallery_66801_641_63045.jpg

img00017.JPG

img00007.JPG

img00053.JPG

img01051.JPG

img00012.JPG

img00011.JPG

img00020.JPG

img00838.JPG