Wrench

Strike Fighters 2 Screenshots Thread

Got diverted into DA Nang..........Freedom Bird on the ramp.

img00061.thumb.jpg.7a902d456a9e042994a03ec155b2eb56.jpg

• Like 12

1983, a Armeé de l'Air Transall lands at dusk at  forward air base somewhere in the Sahel. 

To be continued!

DMUIXqT.jpg

Soon is unloaded of all its cargo, and the boxes moved to a nearby makeshift hangar...

33rR4zz.jpg

• Like 7

As QRA at RAF Coningsby we scrambled into a typically English overcast late Autumn morning...

img00004.JPG

Contact had been lost with an Austrian Airlines flight from Vienna to London, Heathrow. ATC was still tracking it and although it was on course it was in a shallow descent someway before it was due to lose altitude and commence approach. We were given permission to go supersonic and made our approach to the Airbus from the rear..

img00007.JPG

It started a turn, again keeping to it's assigned course, but still descending, and we rolled to turn with it before continuing to close..

img00006.JPG

img00013.JPG  

My wingman was the first to notice. 'Something doesn't look right about the configuration Lead..'

img00008.JPG

'It's the doors!' I gasped. ' All of the doors are open..'

img00009.JPG

We made a slow pass, and sure enough all of the doors, passenger and cargo, had somehow opened. But how? A bomb? A mechanical fault? And what of the crew and passengers?

img00010.JPG

As we passed the cockpit I spotted a torch flashing in morse code. E-L-E-C S-T-O-R-M || M-L-T-P-L L-I-G-H-T-N-G S-T-R-K-S || L-O-S-T P-R-S-R || P-S-G-R-S C-R-W O-N O-X-Y || L-N-D-G L-H-R A-S-A-P||

I passed the message to base: They had flown through an electrical storm and had suffered multiple lightning strikes. The aircraft's electric systems had obviously been affected which had caused the doors to unlock and blow open. This had caused a decompression (hence the shallow descent, to try to minimise the effects) and crew and passengers were on oxygen. They were intending to land at London Heathrow still.

ATC took moments to digest this and the response was quick - get them to another airfield, but not Heathrow. The risk that this was a ruse for a terrorist attack was too great.  

Before I had a chance to reply to the airliner we dropped into the clouds and I called Two in closer as we stuck grimly to the Airbus, not wanting to lose sight of it in the descent..

img00015.JPG

img00016.JPG

img00021.JPG

As we dropped through the overcast I moved up and passed on the message to the airliner crew. Their response - N-C-D || L-H-R O-N-L-Y 

Querying base for orders we were told to to just stick with the Airbus and while investigations into the passengers and crew continued. If this was a terrorist attack or a madman in the pilot seat, would we be cleared to shoot down the airliner?

We were running out of time, the aircraft was still descending and we were now coming up on populated areas. A shootdown now could cause catastrophic damage on the ground..

img00022.JPG

img00019.JPG

And then we were out of time for a decision, as we came over Central London, with visibility still poor in the low cloud and rain squalls...

img00025.JPG

img00027.JPG

img00031.JPG

img00032.JPG

img00033.JPG

The Airbus lowered it's undercarriage slowly. They must be using some emergency method..

img00030.JPG

I closed to get a better look and signalled to the crew the wheels looked to be down OK.

img00029.JPG    

I dropped back to watch as the airliner made it's final approach. Orders were still to remain on standby to shoot it down if necessary. What did they expect us to do at this late stage? Strafe it on the runway? 

img00036.JPG

img00035.JPG

img00037.JPG

img00038.JPG

And then it was down and stopped on the runway. We pulled clear as emergency vehicles swarmed around it and a fleet of air ambulances were cleared in to begin ferrying the most severely hurt to hospitals. We didn't see any of that as we headed back to base, treating Londoners to a flyby as we crossed the capital again, although whether they could see us in the murky weather is debateable..

img00028.JPG

And home to a rainy afternoon, Maybe there'll be something good to watch on the telly...

img00040.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

ok, how'd you get the Airbus to fly doors open, presuming it to be AI?

mandatory screenie, or just another day at the DA labs

img00029.thumb.JPG.53d68055de40dd36909bc37299253a23.JPG

• Like 5

6 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

ok, how'd you get the Airbus to fly doors open, presuming it to be AI?

I have absolutely no idea!

I set up the mission to be a simple intercept of the Airbus (actually the 'real' mission was to intercept a Tu-95 on a recon run off the North Sea coast but I set up a couple of F-15Cs out of Lakenheath to take care of that). The story was that the airliner's navigation equipment had gone down and we would form up on it and lead it down through the clouds and onto the runway.

I was as surprised as anyone when I got in visual range, and the flyby to check over the airliner was real. I re-wrote the story in my head on the fly as I tracked the Airbus down and over London until it landed.

Funny thing is I've flown the mission a few more times since then because I thought I had set something wrong, maybe with the airliner dropping below stall speed, and it has been absolutely fine...

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00008.JPG

img00011.JPG

Maybe TK programmed in a secret setting - RandomCatastrophicMishap=TRUE

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Vulcan in the Valleys..

img00011.JPG

img00013.JPG

img00017.JPG

Showing it's teeth..

img00018.JPG

Heading for home..

img00019.JPG

img00036.JPG

• Like 16

On 6/16/2021 at 8:09 AM, guuruu said:

Amazing :yikes:.

do you have the link for this drone mod?

Edited by Wrench
PLEASE!!!!! Do =NOT= quote posts with images still attached
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1