Situation:

At a terrain are a red and a blue carrier group. Additionally there are red side land based targets.

When playing in single mission mode for the blue, the game engine always choose the red carrier group as target and never the other targets (airfields, fuel storages etc.pp)

Question:

Is there a way to bring the game engine to choose attacks on ground targets instead on ship targets?

Go to (Campaign's Name)_Data.ini in your campaigns' folder.

Change "NavalCampaign=TRUE" to "NavalCampaign=FALSE"

10 hours ago, zachtan said:

Go to (Campaign's Name)_Data.ini in your campaigns' folder.

Change "NavalCampaign=TRUE" to "NavalCampaign=FALSE"

In a campaign it works. But how it is with single missions?

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

In a campaign it works. But how it is with single missions?

Go to the terrain's main .ini file and set NavalMap=FALSE. When it is set to TRUE, naval battles ala SF2NA occur. Setting it to false, though, will remove all naval ops as available in SF2NA. AFAIK if a terrain has NavalMap=TRUE, naval battles always take priority over land-based strike missions. But, I think, this happens because the Soviets (Red Side) have a fleet too. If you are in a terrain where only Blue Side has a naval fleet, while the Red Side countries don't have one, then you should have land-based strike missions when flying for the Blue Side.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

how about changing target value...red fleet will appear, but blue side will not attack naval objects ? Although its not solution also.

If you have multiple nations on the Red side, such as Soviet, EGermany, Poland etc and only Soviet has carriers, in the terrain’s Nation.ini you can make Soviet EnemyNation002 instead of EnemyNation001. I think this should solve the problem and allow blue forces to hit land targets in single missions.

but will it still randomley generate attacks (NAVAL_STRIKE) against the enemy surface fleet? (NOT anti-ship, which is seperate), 

13 hours ago, allenjb42 said:

If you have multiple nations on the Red side, such as Soviet, EGermany, Poland etc and only Soviet has carriers, in the terrain’s Nation.ini you can make Soviet EnemyNation002 instead of EnemyNation001. I think this should solve the problem and allow blue forces to hit land targets in single missions.

No it doesn't, as the EnemyNation number is just that, a number, it doesn't give more priority to Nation number one. As Wrench said, the game will continue to create naval strikes, as long as the terrain is NavalMap=TRUE.

What I told to Gepard should be fine. Unfortunately TK made things this way, if a terrain is NavalMap=TRUE, and both countries have fleets, naval strikes take priority over land strikes. At least this is what I observed for a long time.

Yep. If i set NavalMap=False. Then i have onyl strikes against land targets. But even carrier based planes, like A-7, does not start from carrier, but from land base.

If i set NavalMap=True, then carrier based planes start form ship. But targets are only the enemy ships, never against land targets.

There should be a way, that the engine randomly select land targtes and ship targets.

i don't have sf2 with me...but i remmber  there is singlemission.ini...in flight folder  and inside there is something like this:

[TargetValues] ?
MinStrikeTargetValue=
HeavyStrikeValue=
NormalStrikeValue=

and there is target value in terrain_types.ini  of every terrain...maybe this will mess with game ?

On 10/12/2017 at 2:15 PM, Gepard said:

There should be a way, that the engine randomly select land targtes and ship targets.

There should be, but I'm afraid there isn't. I'd love to be wrong though. When things are hardcoded, there is nothing we can do.

However, one can manually add carrier stations in the _targets.ini, as in SF2's Vietnam terrain. In it, carriers are static, but you could take-off from them.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:33 PM, yakarov79 said:

i don't have sf2 with me...but i remmber  there is singlemission.ini...in flight folder  and inside there is something like this:

[TargetValues] ?
MinStrikeTargetValue=
HeavyStrikeValue=
NormalStrikeValue=

and there is target value in terrain_types.ini  of every terrain...maybe this will mess with game ?

The singlemission.ini TargetValues concern only the values of the terrain's _types.ini objects, which do not include the randomly chosen ships for the dynamic SF2NA fleets. Such values only affect land strike targets whose objects are present in the _types.ini; if an object has a TargetValue=400 and NormalStrikeValue=500 but MinStrikeValue=100, then that object can be chosen as a target by the game engine, but it's a low value target. If its value in the _types.ini is 2000, and HeavyStrikeValue in the singlemission.ini file is set to 1000, that object might be chosen among others as a high value target for important strike missions.

Guys, feel free to experiment, but as far as I can tell, it's a waste of time. A NavalMap=TRUE tells the game that the terrain is primarily for naval battles, it was written to be so. If we want the game to do something else, let's ask TK for the source code, something that won't happen. For single missions, land strikes are no go when NavalMap=TRUE. Thankfully, for campaigns, we have an additional parameter and we can tell the game if we are dealing with a Naval Campaign or not.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just to add to this, if one is flying BEFORE the start date of Red Side CVs, at least in my experience, you can get land strike missions while flying from a Blue Side CV.

• Like 2

The easiest fix is to reorder the EnemyNation entries and make somebody other than SOVIET EnemyNation001.