Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Beers

Suggestions for combat flight sim upgrade

I have finally been able to purchase a decent more recent model PC. I have MS CFS2 & SFP1 running great on it. With all the hard-drive space I have created many installs with specific planes loaded in each install so the random mission generator button will load appropriate planes.

With MS CFS2 I like that you can define groups of enemy planes to chose from, but it messes up if you dump all your planes in one install.

Strike Fighters 1 doesn't seem to restrict appropriate planes to showing up when flying over a terrain even if you define friendly and enemy planes in that terrain's 'nations' file.

What I would like to do is upgrade to a more recent combat flight sim(s). I say sims because Id be surprised to find a game i liked for both WWII props AND jet (missile) combat.

Yes...I'd like some improvement in graphics, but I like the realism (flight mode;s) to be realistic as possible. I do realize the 'air' file or 'data' file creater or modifiers have a huge impact on flight model realism. For example, I can only remember losing a F-4 to an uncontrolable spin once and that was a stock plane not a mod; while, my MiG-29 will spin if you pull to many Gs at a low airspeed (to much AOA) and its a mod add-on!

Anyway, looking at pics online it appears that folks are really doing a good job on aircraft for more recent sims...and terrains.

Can anyone give me some input on what would be a good combat sim buy(s)? 

My budget is limitted and I can not buy everything out there to see if i like it like back in the day when i had less responsibility.

Oh, I do think i want to get MS FSX to get modern graphics. There's a payware F-4J/S Phantom available that I think I want.

However, the VC and skin of my F-4s in Strike Fightes 1 is pretty good really. I would imagine there's probably some pretty good free mod planes for a more recent combat simZ. I'm not THAT picky...I've been living with sims that came out practically in the last millinium for Jeez sake.

Input please...and thanks!!

Modern combat sim with great graphics with requirement of realism?

DCS..........you can download it for free but you need a high end rig to run (and you may need to download v2 instead of 1.5).the rest of it (the modules) are not cheap.

Falcon 4.0 with BMS 4.33...very cheap to buy not as good graphics but ticks all the other boxes.

Aces High 3 is free. You can play offline, though you will have to learn how to create offline "staged missions". They recently reinstated free user hosted arenas. Of course the game is really meant to be played in the massive pay-to-play arenas, but at a cost of $0, it is an excellent survey sim with so may different aircraft to fly as well as some tanks. I spend some time flying Aces High 3 as a paid subscriber. It works very well with VR (I have an Oculus Rift).

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover was patched up and re-released on steam for about $19 during the winter sale. It is limited to a Battle of Britain plane set, but the graphics looks great.

The go-to WW2 sim right now is the IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad / Battle of Moscow series, which happen to be on sale right now ($24.99 each for the base games). This series is shaping up to rival the original IL-2 in covering a vast plane set and has great graphics. I don't own either one for a variety of reasons, but I have heard nothing but good comments about it from people I know and trust. The developers also recently announced that they intend to slowly create a new WWI game around this same series because their existing WWI product, Rise of Flight, has gotten a bit dated.

My sim of choice is DCS World. If you try out the free Su-25T and TF-51D and discover it runs good enough on your machine, then consider getting Flaming Cliffs 3 which is on sale right now for $18. It is a great price for the A-10A, Su-25, F-15C, MiG-29, Su-27, and Su-33. Carrier operations with the Su-33 are fun. But DCS World is at its best with the full-blown study sim add-on aircraft. If you like that sort of thing, wait for sales and buy one or two aircraft as time and money permit.

I bought into the SimWorks Studios F-4B for FSX, so I also fly some FSX with TacPack. While FSX Steam Edition can be found on sale for very little cost, good addon aircraft aren't cheap and neither is TacPack if you want any kind of air combat functionality in FSX.

SF2 is a little dated, but is still a nice upgrade from SFP1 and is fairly cheap if you only buy one of the games.

If I were you and my machine specs were good enough, I would get either Il-2 BoS or Il-2 BoM for WW2 flying and DCS World/Flaming Cliffs 3 for jets. Of course Ace High 3 is free, so you should try that one, too.

Alright...thanks for the comments. I've enjoyed SFP1 very much and am considering SF2 if it will run on win 7 / will look into dcs

FSX has that F-4J/S add-on available (forgot by who)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got into weapon modding and wanted to edit some missiles.
      I went for the Weapons Folder with the Weapons Editor, and some weapons were missing, even tho i can see them and equip them in-game.
      I wanted to edit the AA-2D Atoll for my Su-22M3, but there's no AA-2 folder inside Weapons folder, nor inside plane folder, even tho the missile is equippable and i can see it/use it in-game.
      Since there's no Atoll folder, i have no idea how is it possible for me to have it in-game, and even less i know on how am i supposed to edit it through Weapons Editor, since i can't select the folder.
      I thought it may be a sort of "built-in-game" missile and for this reason not showing in weapons folder (idk i just made an hypothesis).
      So i tried using the CAT Extractor, but seems like not working... no matter which CAT file i select, it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted", how's that? How do i fix it? Am i doing something wrong?
      Thank you in advance for helping me fixing all these issues or helping me find what i'm doing wrong
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I was wondering how to customize the numbers after your callsigns, since it always gives me the same ones.
      I think i managed somehow once, a bit of time ago, but now i forgot and have no idea how to.
      I'm not talking about how to customize the callsign name, but the unit number after it.
      As you can see in the Roster and in the picture under, i get "Fast Eagle 1-1" and "Fast Eagle 1-2"
      Here are some examples:

The numbers on the tail, wing and nose numbers are customized, cause i managed how to change them, choosing them individually for each unit in the mission file by changing "AircraftNumber=" and typing the number, like "2" (as for 202). It doesn't change by typing the whole number tho, like 202 by typing 202, but it goes by typing the number that corresponds to the list of numbers you have. For example, In a list that goes from 200 to 400, you will have to type 10 to get 300. Here i just typed "2" and "7" since the list starts from 200

IIRC, in the past i just used to type the Aircaft number just like that, and in-game i had the proper number after the callsign, like "Fast Eagle 102", not just the number displayed on the plane livery.
      How do i do? I'm pretty sure that it's possible to have "Fast Eagle 102" on my screen HUD and in the Roster
      Thanks in advance for helping me.

• By Tonci87
      I´m sure you have seen it in some movie, or read it in a story. 
      Someone who has no clue about airplanes has to get in one and fly off to somewhere.
      They usually just get in and fly away, but it is really that simple?
      Since I´m new to the flightsim genre I decide to dedicate my first flight to answering that question.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxr0QLArPc
    • By MigBuster

"The Heatblur Simulations F-4E Phantom II is the culmination of over 2 years of intense development, preceded by countless hours of research and built with our next-gen technology that brings many new features, leaning on all the know-how gained from our previous modules. DCS: F-4 represents some of the most immersive cold war fighter jet simulation available. Climb into the cockpit of this beast and announce yourself with thunder, as you experience the thrill of riding a primeval spirit.
      DCS: F-4 includes, and models, both the DMAS and non-DMAS equipped F-4E Phantom II variants using the powerful J-79 engines. It utilizes our next-gen components based simulation framework - the aircraft is simulated as a connection of thousands of individual components. From an instrument needle to control surfaces, each component influences the state of the aircraft and even comes with its own wear and tear. Enjoy in depth fluids and electric simulations, a dynamic flight model and many new “firsts” in DCS, when flying and fighting in the F-4! 
      With the DCS F-4 we are introducing JESTER 2.0 - a completely rebuilt and redesigned JESTER AI to help you as your WSO, with improved and updated intelligence, a new interface and new immersive features, like pro-actively asking you questions depending on the situation - changing his behavior based on your answers. Teamwork is key in the Phantom. With JESTER 2.0 you will be able to not only enjoy this multiseat fighter in multiplayer with a friend, but also in singleplayer on your own. "

There are 4 options to choose from on the Heatblur store only for now - Order at your own risk.
      https://store.heatblur.com/products/dcs-f-4-phantom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..