Sign in to follow this  
RustyKurnass

CVW-9' s F-4B early cruise skins?

Hi all guys,

in the past days I've finished to read for the 1000th times one of my various 'Nam F-4s books,and lately I start think if we have the early skins for the VF-92 and VF-96;especially for the latter,the famous black falcon logo on the unit planes fin was adopted only in the '68,this mean that started the war with the colors on the following links

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/F-4B_Phantom_of_VF-96_jettisons_rocket_pods_c1965.jpg

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/59/pics/3_46.jpg

Same for the VF-92,despite adopted the chess and yellow flash earlier of the '68

http://www.silverkings.org/images/vf-92-reunion_final.jpg

I think will be a great historical addition to the game

Edited by RustyKurnass

Long ago, Mytai has pretty much all the early skins. 

However...

they're 1stGen (SF1) and need some editing (to say nothing of a new, high rez base skin).

give me a few days, what with the holiday and all, and I can have 92 and 96 skins converted

mytai phantoms.jpg

a PS to that;

both VF-92 and VF-96 are stock squadrons, so you can easily select them from the squadron drop down on the loadout screen (or an edited campaign ini)

first one converted ...(now uses stock SF2 jpg skins - can't really reuse the originals, as there was some mapping changes from SF1 to SF2.) Using (most of) Mytai's decals. I made some small changes, as the Modex also has the intake and ejection warnings; removed them from the decals

also tweeked the loadout ini, adding back the wing tanks (but left the Mk.4 gunpod -which wasn't used much afaik-, and added manual wingfold and canopy operation to the data ini.

VF-96, 1964 USS RANGER

f4b-vf96-1964.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to help!

Mytai did an awful lot of research on these, even though there's only 12 Modex & serials per aircraft, they are 100% historically correct. 

some years back, I wanted to convert his entire set to SF2, did a couple, but than left it hanging. But I'll get these, and maybe some others...?? It'd be a crying shame to let them all get lost.

the real hard part is to figure out WHICH F-4B to use them on. Back in the day (SF1) there was just the one F-4B (1962-1974). In SF2 we've got 3!

F-4B (1961-1965)

F-4B_65 (1965-1968)

F-4B_67 (1967-1977) *77 is for usmc

So I"m matching the skins to the closest dated model

below, Silver Kings, 1968 (F-4B_67)

f4b-vf92-1968.JPG

• Like 4

Great job mate!

Today my PC refuse to start and when happened I was forced to restore it,I don't know what happened.

The result was that I lost some inis and units in some installations,so I passed the day restore ALL the lost file,and still some missing...

At least I was able to restore some quickly thanks to some back-up file I've done.

ok, here's the VF-92 and 96 skins, using the F-4B_67, both dated 1968 for use on ENTERPRISE

the VF-96 aboard RANGER up above is dated for 1964

I hope to have them uploaded in the next day or 2

vf92-f4b_enterprise_68.JPG

vf96_enterprise_68.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/24/2017 at 1:57 PM, Wrench said:

some years back, I wanted to convert his entire set to SF2, did a couple, but than left it hanging. But I'll get these, and maybe some others...?? It'd be a crying shame to let them all get lost

maybe in batches. thats a huge file set (13GB unzipped iirc) but it is awesome. used it as a basis for the N skinpack awhile back (and the S's whenever i get tired of jumbos and back to Phantoms). that plus the pics he included for reference, all great stuff

since you mentioned the DLC F-4N, I did up one for VMFA-531, using "bits" (overall gull grey, circa 1980). 

I have your N enhancement pack, just haven't installed it yet

f4n_vmfa531.JPG

• Like 2

they were a little closer to this as i recall

img00019.thumb.JPG.fcc7009599d56776bb0896edaae9237d.JPG

but as said gotta bump something up to front burner when I'm done with ODS tankers and JSTARS

img00005.thumb.JPG.c3287dd9ad7a97f0d3ca1791f3c442ca.JPG

img00009.thumb.JPG.29515a3d19bc88aa6cb4c1415a7d48b1.JPG

img00001.thumb.JPG.ebe1f2c23a66e365842a107e5aad110b.JPG

img00006.thumb.JPG.7b0d8da6c540b2ee0da76980801f6492.JPG

img00007.thumb.JPG.f61bb21474d8e1cbee01c5ff98bfabb4.JPG

amongst other things on the external drive..

• Like 1

looking good!

I still wish TK would give us a F-4J for DLC, man I'd be all over that!! (and so would a LOT of people!)