I want to plant thousands of trees in a Tileset, but after a certain of number they become invisible when I plant trees.

The solution is simple. Plant less trees.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

When they become invisible it means that you've reached the max amount the game will allow.

Thank you for your suggestion. but you can better understand the situation if you examine the images

img00894.JPG

img00952.JPG

img00954.JPG

img01088.JPG

Edited by namedders

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

The solution is simple. Plant less trees.

at most, how many trees can I plant ?

around 200 or so individual trees (at least with the WoE TE that I've been able to add). It's not just the trees (alpha objects) it's the solid objects as well that count on each tile. I've a few tiles in the 350-370 item count, but that's the TOTAL count, solids and alphas

best idea is a larger 3d object, imported into the TE for the "forest" that should covers several hundred square meters (given the 2km x 2km for the stock tiles). IIRC, this is how Stary did it with the Green Hells. Then, it's just skinned to match the tree shapes. With luck the terrain engine may count it as only "one" object.

to answer the next question, is no, I do not know how to import a 3d object into the Terrain Editor. 

Stary should be able to answer that question.

I thought it were a maximum of 256 objects in a TOD file. But with 200 you are on the safe side.

The other way would be to use the single trees as a normal ground object in the target areas. Such trees you find in SF2NA i think.

BUT there is also a limit of maximum objects for target areas, so you come easily in danger to reach this  limit if you want to "plant" a forrest with that way.

1 hour ago, namedders said:

it seems that the underlying cause of this problem is the old game infrastructure ??

that's ture ?

Not sure, but how did f.e. YAP add so many trees on their terrain mod?

I think the relevant entries are in <terrain>_data.ini:

[TerrainMesh]
SolidObjectVertexCount=12288
SolidObjectIndexCount=18432
AlphaObjectVertexCount=8192
AlphaObjectIndexCount=12288

I haven't investigated it myself yet, but I think they define the maximum numbers of triangle vertices of solid (buildings) and alpha (trees) objects (per tile?). By increasing those values it should be possible to plant more buildings/trees.

52 minutes ago, mue said:

I think the relevant entries are in <terrain>_data.ini:

[TerrainMesh]
SolidObjectVertexCount=12288
SolidObjectIndexCount=18432
AlphaObjectVertexCount=8192
AlphaObjectIndexCount=12288

I haven't investigated it myself yet, but I think they define the maximum numbers of triangle vertices of solid (buildings) and alpha (trees) objects (per tile?). By increasing those values it should be possible to plant more buildings/trees.

Not really, Mue. They do affect the level of detail and thus the number of objects displayed, but you can't increase the maximum number of objects for a TOD. That value is hardcoded I think. Each TOD has the same limit.

In order to add more trees, the only way is to use custom shapes. Instead of using the stock shape of a single tree as offered by the TerrainEditor, one must introduce custom shapes where instead of a tree you have a forest model, whose graphics are determined by a .tga file. However, I don't know how to do this in practice. If I'm not mistaken, Stary is the only modder around here who knows how to create such TODs with custom shapes.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

Not really, Mue. They do affect the level of detail and thus the number of objects displayed, but you can't increase the maximum number of objects for a TOD. That value is hardcoded I think. Each TOD has the same limit.

In order to add more trees, the only way is to use custom shapes. Instead of using the stock shape of a single tree as offered by the TerrainEditor, one must introduce custom shapes where instead of a tree you have a forest model, whose graphics are determined by a .tga file. However, I don't know how to do this in practice. If I'm not mistaken, Stary is the only modder around here who knows how to create such TODs with custom shapes.

would not trees out of the border with that method?

2 hours ago, namedders said:

would not trees out of the border with that method?

Looks like it works if you are careful with placement and dimensions of the custom forest/tree shape. Just check custom terrains like Madagascar, Cuba, Sweden. I wish I could help you more because I really like what you're doing. However only one modder, by the name Stary, knows exactly how to create densely populated forests.

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

Looks like it works if you are careful with placement and dimensions of the custom forest/tree shape. Just check custom terrains like Madagascar, Cuba, Sweden. I wish I could help you more because I really like what you're doing. However only one modder, by the name Stary, knows exactly how to create densely populated forests.

How do I contact stary?

1 hour ago, namedders said:

How do I contact stary?

I tried to contact @Stary in the past via PM (Private Message), but he rarely visits here due to Real Life. I suggest you to check his works, he created many mods for which we all are grateful. Maybe you'll find a way to recreate such things.

Edited by Menrva

Thank you very much for everyone's answers. I will not share other maps until I solve the tree problem.I wrote to STARY. but I will focus on the maps outside this.but do not worry, I'll share the maps with you when it's done..hope we can solve the tree problem....

We like the diection of our WTR Jungle - but the best part is the new approach and techniques that not only provides a much more dense and immersive jungle but also maintains awesome performance / FPS (see early screenie).

v02_WTR00533_JungleExp75.jpg

Edited by WTRAdmin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WTRAdmin said:

We like the diection of our WTR Jungle - but the best part is the new approach and techniques that not only provides a much more dense and immersive jungle but also maintains awesome performance / FPS (see early screenie).

v02_WTR00533_JungleExp75.jpg

I do not think I will have a problem with fps. because I can solve this problem with some methods

AFAIK no one from the modding community has created custom shaped TOD objects yet (besides on guy who made a feasibility test :grin:)

4 hours ago, mue said:

AFAIK no one from the modding community has created custom shaped TOD objects yet (besides on guy who made a feasibility test :grin:)

My bad, mue. I was talking about alpha TOD objects, not the "solid" ones (buildings). I remember your test very well! I simply wonder how to create forests as Stary did, instead of using the single tree object offered by the Terraineditor.

17 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I simply wonder how to create forests as Stary did, instead of using the single tree object offered by the Terraineditor.

Mmh.. I thought Stary did just that: put a lot of single tree objects onto the tiles. Maybe I'm wrong here?