The Scandinavian Front 2: Final Release

PLEASE BE AWARE; This release of TSF 2 is unpolished and is to be considered a Beta version. In short, there will be bugs and not all of them have been found. Unless things change significantly, there will not be more releases.
Please read the letter below to understand why.

If you just want the SK 60 or the Saab 37 Viggen - look in the Aircraft section. If not posted there, they will be posted there shortly.

A letter from the Project Leader:

My name is Jonathan and I am the project leader of The Scandinavian Front. I want to apologize that I will not be living up to the vision I had for The Scandinavian Front. The reason for this is because between my new full time job and all my other projects, TSF 2 fell by the wayside. This is not fair to TSF nor is it fair to you.

This is to be considered a Beta release. It has bugs. The Campaigns have not been fully balanced. But it is a playground that you can play around with - just like always. But this will be the Final Release of TSF 2. I sat down one too many times trying to make it perfect and I will have to accept that TSF 2 may never be. Maybe some day I will sit down and release a patch to bring it up to speed. But today is not that day.

I want to thank all the fans of TSF 2 for their support during this time. It has been invaluble. I also want to thank AngelP, Stary, Ravenclaw and my mate Paulopanz who have been there for me to make this mod what it is today. Without them, I could never have made this dream. Do not blame them for the unpolished state of this release, they gave me their all and I am very grateful.

FEATURES

Fly and fight with Aircraft from the Scandinavian Air Forces, including the legendary Saab lineup of aircraft in combat against the Soviet Union in multiple scenarios from 1950 to 2014.

Campaigns include several intensive conflicts, training missions and a virtual museum allowing you to follow a Swedish Flottilj for most of its history!

Now at last - Saab SK60 and Saab 37 Viggen are avalible to fly in TSF 2 alongside - for the first time - Soviet Aircraft in service of the fictionalFinno-Soviet Republic!

More AI Aircraft to fly with or against!

Updated Terrain Tiles, Weapons and Menu Screens.

Optimized code; unused and outdated assets removed.

Installation:

This mod requires SF2: Europe.
SF2 North Atlantic, Expansion Pack 1 and DLC 008 J 34 Hawker Hunter is highly recommended.

Please be aware that without SF2 North Atlantic, at least two Campaigns will be unavalible.

First of all, make sure you are using SF2: Europe and that it is patched to the latest version. This is _vital_.

Check Thirdwire.com if you are unsure what the latest patch is, but the game should notify you if there is new patches out.

Delete ANY PRIOR TSF MOD INSTALLATION! This is vital as items has been renamed, moved or otherwise changed.

If you are using a mod, or plan to use one, TSF will mess around with settings other mods may be using. As such, creating a seperate mod folder for TSF is a good idea. If you only plan to use TSF, then this step can be bypassed.

Go to your installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters 2). Make a copy of Strike Fighters 2.exe / Strike Fighters 2 Europe.exe depending on what you prefer and got installed. Name the Copy Strike Fighters 2 TSF.exe . Start your new .exe once, then close the game.

Now go to your Mod Folders. For Windows 7/Vista, this is located in C:\Users\Name\Saved Games\Thirdwire. For Windows XP Users, it is usually in My Documents.

Download ALL THE FILES into THE SAME FOLDER and Unzip TSF2_Final from TSF2_FinalPack.7z.001. You need 7z or Winrar to do this.

Unzip the contents of the 7zip files "TSF2_Final" into the mod folder of your choice.

If you do not own Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic, then unzip "Unzip if you do not have SF NA.7z". Read the Readme included and follow it to the letter.

If you own Strike Figthers 2 Expansion Pack 1, unzip "Install if you do not have SF NA.7z". Allow any overwrites.

If you own DLC 008 J 34 Hawker Hunter, unzip "Install if you have DLC 008 J 34 Hawker Hunter.7z". Allow any overwrites.

If you own DLC 028, unzip "Install_if_you_have_DLC28.7z". Allow any overwrites.

(Please read the included Credits file. I could not do what I do without the lovely people who helped me by allowing me to use their work!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Some known bugs in this version. I will detail what I intend to fix and how:
- Operation Isbjörn 97 is not completely finished. Sometimes crashes and I have no idea why. Old units may linger. No fix.
- Operation Visborg & Operation Gjallarhorn are not properly balanced. They will however work mostly fine. No Fix.
- SK (AI Only) Viggen without black skin. Will be investigated and patched through the Viggen Stand Alone Pack.
- Trees may appear on the runways.

Will update post as I find more. Depending on time, I may update the main pack to fix the minor ones or update fixes in this thread.

• Like 2

Very beautiful work!!! Thanks a lot!!! :good:

The greatest expansion for Strike Fighters 2. My thanks to everyone involved.

@JonathanRL I once provided you with an updated TFD file for the Sweden terrain, fixing some minor bugs, for the older version of TSF2. My nickname was Blaze95 at the time. I can have a look at the bug you mentioned with trees over runways. It should be an easy fix.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonathanRL said:

@Menrva If you could, that would be great :)

Sure thing. I am a bit busy with RL, but you can count I will look into it! This mod really needs some love.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

Jonathan, I can't thank you enough for bringing us The Scandinavian Front. It's always been a favorite of mine.

• Like 3

Patch 1 is uploaded. I will not be updating the main package, instead I will add patches and update the file that way.

- Terrain Bug Fixes by @Menrva added.
- Helikopter 1 (AI Only) by @yakarov79 added
- Added due credit for Nordic Airliners by @daddyairplanes, @Veltro2k & @Marcfighter
- Fixed missing start text in Gjallarhorn Campaign
- Fixed SK60 Loadouts for non-European systems
- Fixed missing skin for SH 37
- Fixed Riga / Sovremenny Black Ships.

Edited by JonathanRL

Hi, is installed and working but no sweden terrain shows up. the folder sweden is in terrains but does not show up, only the derault. I use a merged without SF2 NA. had this issue with the original before but cant emeber the fix? Anyone can help here?

@dsawan
Go into Terrains/Sweden.
Go into Sweden.ini

Delete the line:
NavalMap=TRUE

Save file.

It should work now.

This is on me. I forgot I needed to remove that part for the "if you do not have SF2:NA" part.
I will fix it with Patch 2.

Great work by everyone who contributed.

Is the Red Baron sensor pod for the SF-37 available? I can see it listed in the loadout.ini file, but it is missing in the weapons folder and I do not recall it being previously released.

The fouga magister has huge issues getting airborne and seems very underpowered on take off, its certainly a flight model issue. 

Is there any possibility of a new team picking up development of this wonderful mod rectifying it's issues/expanding upon it? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crisisloaner
      High losses of F-105's and no extra capacity for F-4 production, the USAF looked for an "off the shelf" aircraft to quickly fill in for strike missions, with additional air-to-air capability. Saab's Viggen was chosen and a version was immediately ordered and delivered to Vietnam.
    • By Menrva

View File Sweden, Baltic Rim (2004-2018)
      Sweden, Baltic Rim (2004-2018) Terrain
      March 13th, 2018 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2: Europe, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the Sweden terrain made by gillg, but set after the Cold War era.
      What began as a simple tiling bugfix, for JonathanRL's The Scandinavian Front mod, turned out to be a huge overhaul upon noticing a number of inaccuracies. The terrain has been retargetized and hand-tiled to a good extent; major changes have been done to the Baltic states, which were pretty inaccurate in terms of target locations. Some rivers have been added and/or retiled to mimic Real World courses. Numerous target areas, including airports and highway strips, have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year range.
      This terrain features a fresh new 250m resolution heightmap (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall it provides the whole terrain with a better look.
      The terrain spans from March 30, 2004 (the beginning of NATO's Baltic Air Policing) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for The Scandinavian Front's scenarios by JonathanRL, taking place after the Cold War era.
      This terrain is a standalone version of the one which will be included in the last iteration of the TSF mod package by JonathanRL. The terrain that will be included in the TSF mod package will likely differ slightly from this one, so users are advised to keep that in mind. Also, this terrain uses only a single tileset. The TSF's version will use different tilesets according to the season, as originally designed by our fellow modder, Stary.
      Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, some airfields won't be available after a certain date and/or will change name according to historic changes. Off Map Airbases have been added and long range AI flights can be generated from them, if you have SF2NA. Most of the main targets have been placed accurately in their Real World locations. Due to the complexity of the area, some inaccuracies are to be expected, but I did my best!
      Ground Objects are not included. Download JonathanRL's The Scandinavian Front mod package to have all that you need for this scenario.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -gillg, who created this terrain and whose work I have admired during my rework. I can only imagine how much time he spent on tiling roads and rivers from scratch!
      -JonathanRL, for his exceptional TSF2 mod package, which prompted me to do something to help improve it.
      -Wrench, as he is always glad to help us fellow terrain modders. Thank you, sir!
      -swambast, who provided me with invaluable help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and reworked for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for the waternormal bitmap he shared at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -MigBuster, I have included some of his great hi-res textures for runways.
      -Stary, for the wonderful tileset he made exclusively for the original Sweden terrain included in the TSF mod package.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -tiopilotos and Stratos, who always support me during my terrain remakes. Thank you, guys!
      -krfrge, who has produced a tutorial for recreating SF2-like planning maps, which prompted me to work on templates and my own high quality planning maps. Thank you very much!
      -comrpnt, for his Approach and Airfield Lighting Pack mod packages for SF1 series, which I reworked and included.
      Because this terrain is a rework of gillg's fantastic creation, I included his ReadMe file from his original package, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the terrain package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 03/13/2018 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Menrva
      Sweden, Baltic Rim (2004-2018) Terrain
      March 13th, 2018 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2: Europe, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This is a complete remake of the Sweden terrain made by gillg, but set after the Cold War era.
      What began as a simple tiling bugfix, for JonathanRL's The Scandinavian Front mod, turned out to be a huge overhaul upon noticing a number of inaccuracies. The terrain has been retargetized and hand-tiled to a good extent; major changes have been done to the Baltic states, which were pretty inaccurate in terms of target locations. Some rivers have been added and/or retiled to mimic Real World courses. Numerous target areas, including airports and highway strips, have been added in order to expand playability, targets of opportunity and year range.
      This terrain features a fresh new 250m resolution heightmap (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall it provides the whole terrain with a better look.
      The terrain spans from March 30, 2004 (the beginning of NATO's Baltic Air Policing) to December 31, 2018; it is designed for The Scandinavian Front's scenarios by JonathanRL, taking place after the Cold War era.
      This terrain is a standalone version of the one which will be included in the last iteration of the TSF mod package by JonathanRL. The terrain that will be included in the TSF mod package will likely differ slightly from this one, so users are advised to keep that in mind. Also, this terrain uses only a single tileset. The TSF's version will use different tilesets according to the season, as originally designed by our fellow modder, Stary.
      Targets reflect Real World events as accurately as possible; for instance, some airfields won't be available after a certain date and/or will change name according to historic changes. Off Map Airbases have been added and long range AI flights can be generated from them, if you have SF2NA. Most of the main targets have been placed accurately in their Real World locations. Due to the complexity of the area, some inaccuracies are to be expected, but I did my best!
      Ground Objects are not included. Download JonathanRL's The Scandinavian Front mod package to have all that you need for this scenario.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -gillg, who created this terrain and whose work I have admired during my rework. I can only imagine how much time he spent on tiling roads and rivers from scratch!
      -JonathanRL, for his exceptional TSF2 mod package, which prompted me to do something to help improve it.
      -Wrench, as he is always glad to help us fellow terrain modders. Thank you, sir!
      -swambast, who provided me with invaluable help in tracking and fixing common and uncommon bugs.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making. If the terrain is pretty accurate to RL it's also because of him. I included his very nice Airfield 7+8 Addon Pack, too.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made, which I have included and reworked for the terrain, and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.
      -luk1978, for the waternormal bitmap he shared at the SF2 screenshots thread. Your mods are very interesting!
      -MigBuster, I have included some of his great hi-res textures for runways.
      -Stary, for the wonderful tileset he made exclusively for the original Sweden terrain included in the TSF mod package.
      -Gepard, for his great tutorials about terrain making, in the SF1 Knowledge Base at CombatACE. It's a gold mine!
      -tiopilotos and Stratos, who always support me during my terrain remakes. Thank you, guys!
      -krfrge, who has produced a tutorial for recreating SF2-like planning maps, which prompted me to work on templates and my own high quality planning maps. Thank you very much!
      -comrpnt, for his Approach and Airfield Lighting Pack mod packages for SF1 series, which I reworked and included.
      Because this terrain is a rework of gillg's fantastic creation, I included his ReadMe file from his original package, to the end of giving proper credit to everyone involved directly or not.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the terrain package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This terrain may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..