Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Must Have mods?

I reinstalled FE2, but I'm running on vanilla, guys, can you recommend the MUST HAVE mods for the title? I'm thinking in terms of FM packs, terrains, effects, etc, not planes as I plan to grab quite a bunch of them, specially early war and East front.

Thanks!

The other guys can give you a better idea of really essential mods and tweaks, but here are a few that VovS has developed that make a real difference.

Also:  AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI.zip

-----

Shimmering: in the relevant data.ini file for whatever terrain you're flying (such as Palestine_data.ini), scroll down to the SolidObjectTextureMaterial section and change the following entry:

BlendOp=ONE

should be changed to:

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

(this helps to give proper looking telephone poles, cows, and some other objects on the fields - otherwise they show up as cows painted on a rectangle, poles painted onto a rectangle, and so on)

-----

Also, do this just to be sure:

-----

If you still experience shimmering buildings in the future, I also recommend checking the following post by Mue:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/85970-shimmering-tods-and-target-objects/

Install the FE2 terrain shaders listed there into the relevant Terrain folder that you're flying, and then in the relevant terrain data.ini file, under the SolidObjectTextureMaterial section, change the following value:

ZBufferOffset=2.0

change to:

ZBufferOffset=5.0

-----

It's possible also that an improved flightengine file can help, by stretching view distances. The link to my modded flightengine ini is below:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/91359-airfield-figures-help-wanted/?do=findComment&comment=738584

If you like the atmospheric effects I get in my screenshots, the relevant files are below.  I set my up gameworld lighting for high noon on a summer day - all other situations should use dimmer lighting.  Default game lighting is appropriate for a gloomy winter day.

Note we have all experimented with various combinations, and much depends on your OS and computer.  For example, changing ForceDX9=FALSE to ForceDX9=TRUE (in the Options.ini) will probably improve your graphics, but may influence your frame rates.

Also below is a test batch of improved pilots - drop them into your PILOTS folder.  VonS can tell you the best way to organize them as I just dump them in and get on with developing new aircraft.  wwiPilotNew10 and wwiPilotNew11 are Spanish Civil War pilots with parachutes, so they are not appropriate for WW1.

Options.ini

Flight.rar

Setup-1 copy.jpg

img00027 (2).JPG

New Pilots.rar

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I'm now trying to fix the shimmering on Jan Tuma's terrain. I'm having some problems as my valiant pilot demonstrates on his new racing monoplane

QNdB2Zs.jpg

:D

Hi Stratos, the suggestions Geezer posted above for the shimmering fix work well. Also good are the following three links, included in the pdf "read me" with my FM update packs, which link to aircraft skins, pilot installation tutorials, also some tips on how to handle the SPADs on takeoff, lots of other stuff there too included in a few posts for convenience:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/91337-problems-with-my-fe2/?do=findComment&comment=738368

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/91337-problems-with-my-fe2/?do=findComment&comment=738514

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/87403-tweaked-flight-models-and-realism-pack-for-fe2/?do=findComment&comment=738317

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Fixed links
  • Like 1

I fixed Cambrai as my gentleman show with his first victory

XQemNN8.jpg

And also Verdun, but I'm getting some problems there...

lXfQpOS.jpg

Flanders CTD as soon as I hit Fly in the single mission screen, will redownload the pack and try again.

As soon as I fix the shimmering I will start with the planes, and then install your FM pack!

• Like 1

That Cambrai map now looks great, hope the fix for shimmering works with Flanders and Verdun too. Never tested the shimmering fix on the JanTuma terrains - but I'm assuming that the same suggestions work as with the stock terrains for Cambrai and Verdun, also Gterl's great Italian map, and the Palestine/Mesopotamia theater.

Happy flying,

Fixed Flanders! And installed the Be2c. The Geezer new pilots are so brave that they defy even the more elementary safety rules lol

2MtBSPy.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice to hear that the shimmering tweak works well to fix the terrains. That looks like the British winter pilot doing a stunt on the Be2c... :biggrin:. Can't remember what pilot I have in my modded data ini for the Be2 types...possibly wwiPilotNew1 or 3. Pilots no. 1, 2, 3, 4 fit well with the same seating coordinates, pilots numbered 5 and higher may require some tweaking to fit them nicely into the cockpits.

Happy flying,

Von S

Is pilot2, I will need to tweak the position or get back to vanilla one. A real pity, cause I like those guys with the Scarf. For example the pilot 8 is great for the CaudronG4

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

Is pilot2, I will need to tweak the position or get back to vanilla one. A real pity, cause I like those guys with the Scarf. For example the pilot 8 is great for the CaudronG4

Heh, it often takes us an evening of screwing around to get the pilots and cockpits right. :biggrin:

img00005.JPG.92dc974d0133d6021feef647d55d649a.JPG

Edited by Geezer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stratos said:

Is pilot2, I will need to tweak the position or get back to vanilla one. A real pity, cause I like those guys with the Scarf.

No problem. Just rename the wwiPilotNew2.LOD  to wwiPilotNew9.LOD  (for example) :

wwiPilotNew9.rar

And make changes to the BE-2C_DATA.ini file (under the "Crew" section of the data ini). These minor tweaks for pilot seating position are suitable for all types of Be2 aircraft: :

// Crew -----------------------

[Pilot]
SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT
PilotModelName=wwiPilotNew9
SeatID=1
SetCockpitPosition=TRUE
Position=0.0000,-0.8859,0.9008
MinExtentPosition=-0.25,-0.6, 0.3
MaxExtentPosition= 0.25,-1.0,1.4
CanopyNodeName=Seat_F

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I still don't know why I like this old bird that much. Is so slow and underpowered lol Need to find If we have the forward firing rifle version, so I can try to shoot down something. I like it even more with the new pilot. Geezer, do you have better gunners too somewhere?

kDzM0Rv.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Geezer, do you have better gunners too somewhere?

Unfortunately, I can't help.  Pilots are separate LODs that the game attaches to the aircraft LOD - gunners are part of the aircraft LOD. 

• Like 1

If you like the Be2 variants, I also recommend trying out the Be12, an attempt to transform the Be2 types into a single-seat fighter (with mixed results). It does well against other lumbering types, but also frequently takes a beating. :biggrin:

Von S

img00002.JPG

• Like 2

Downloaded it and added the Geezer pilot! Thanks for the tip.

I have a question, important planes like the Sopwith Pup, the Sopwith Triplane, the Spad VII or the Breguet XIV are only available on Capun site?

3 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Downloaded it and added the Geezer pilot! Thanks for the tip.

I have a question, important planes like the Sopwith Pup, the Sopwith Triplane, the Spad VII or the Breguet XIV are only available on Capun site?

The SPAD VII cames with FE2. Much better than Capun´s. The Tripe and Br XIV only at Capun so far.

• Like 1

Rgr, thanks! Jsut installing VonS FM now. Only thing is that I had to erase the Geezer pilots, I don't have time to repoition all the pilots.

8 hours ago, Wilches said:

The SPAD VII cames with FE2. Much better than Capun´s. The Tripe and Br XIV only at Capun so far.

Agreed, the Spad VII for FE2 is the one to use, simply make flyable using the directions for ver. 9.0 of the FM pack (using the cockpit.ini file available here on CombatAce for the Russian skins pack for the Spads...link included in the pdf).

Never did an FM tweak for the Breguet but that is available at the A-Team site if you like the Breguet. Other aircraft that have been tweaked, such as the Pfalz Dr.1, also the Gotha bombers, are also available on the A-Team site. Everything else is available here at CombatAce.

Lots of interesting ideas here.  Probably back with questions at some point.