As some you know, I've been slowly working on converting Mytai's F-4B skins to newer, better SF2 standards. Mostly through using Sundowner's hi-rez template. Some of which was covered in this thread:

But several questions have arisen. One, obviously answered with these sentences:

the real hard part is to figure out WHICH F-4B to use them on. Back in the day (SF1) there was just the one F-4B (1962-1974). In SF2 we've got 3!

F-4B (1961-1965)

F-4B_65 (1965-1968)

F-4B_67 (1967-1977) *77 is for usmc

So I"m matching the skins to the closest dated model

But the primary one remains, as to "year operations". Since we have the ability to turn on skins at a certain date (the SF2 date switch in the texture set ini), do I

1) use the date date switch, which forces the game to use that as the primary skin from the start year selected, of

2) not use the date switch, and let the End User (tm) select the skin -and have to also select for all wingmen in the flights.

Also, if anyone else is working on converting these 70-odd skins, DO LET ME KNOW! So work won't be duplicated and cause a waste of time!!

So, let's hear what you all think...

• Like 4

My money is on the date switch. By using it, skins would get a proper overhaul to SF2 standards IMHO. But I also reckon it's time consuming.

Afaik, Eole was planning or doing revamps of Mytais Phantom-Skins at some time. I don't know the status though, maybe ask him.

I'm also for the date-switch, although for campaign-use there may a problem. I didn't know until recently, that you can only upgrade either skin or plane in campaigns, not both at the same time. Not sure, if this applies here too, but it's something I encounter with my Vietnam Skyhawks without a proper solution yet. Maybe in the Phantoms case, one could just copy the skins to all affected models of an upgrade, as the changes are small enough.

This's great mate!

Personally I don't have a precise preference,but probably the date switch is the best option

Hello everyone

I converted Mytais Phantom-Skins into SF-2 style before. But not all skins. And it is not hi-rez. If you need it, I can send it to the CA site.

I'm doing them in hi-rez (2048x)

also, saying ARRRRRGHHH!!! I can't use the date switch, due to there being many skins that fall into the same year category!!! Total brain fart on my part, not just the Atlantic Fleet skins, but the Pacific Fleet skins too!

so, it goes back to Player Selection on the loadout screen! (damnitall!!) 

well then, maybe you should release them??

• Like 2

13 hours ago, amariani said:

I've updated a bunch of them done. Here are some...

F-4B - VF-96.JPG

F-4B - VF-102.JPG

F-4B_65 - VF-32.JPG

F-4B_65 - VF-142.JPG

F-4B_65 - VMFA-251.JPG

F-4B_65 - VMFA-321 1976.JPG

F-4B_65 - VMFA-312 1971.JPG

F-4B_65 - VMFA-531 1972.JPG

What bunch of beauty!!!!!

• Like 1

I've sent to Wrench all my old F-4B project files based mostly on Sundowner High res skins mixed up with Mytai's decals, I hope it will be useful to get this beauty out

image.thumb.png.2f3244d67de866dfff407a98aa2b4c40.pngimage.thumb.png.d2f406ad6141f0106419f4d4d93fd977.png

• Like 9

yup, just got 'em. A quick examination show that pretty much all I'll need to do is write a quick read me, an release it Eole's name.

A FINE job of work, sir! I salute and thank you! :salute:  :drinks:

• Thanks 1

I kinda of stopped on them for now.  There's some question as to HOW they should be released. Eole's are superb, but he divided them into USN and USMC, which while not a bad idea, could create confusion within the game.

in the meantime, I'm heavily involved with a salvage operation on some long disused, and forgotten, unavailable 1stGen Scooter and Intruder skins.  

the funny thing is, the skins are STOCK!!! It's the decals that make the mod!!

but I thank you for the compliment!

• Like 1