What exactly is controlling the situation when A.I. wingman won't use the plane gun even if it has it. I ask that because some A.I., for some planes, use it, but other are behaving as the gun is not present in their planes and they are replying: "unable". Is there a way to "persuade" them to use it ? Thank you.

EDIT - Could be related to the range of the gun ?

Edited by UllyB

Agaist ground or air targets ?

I hate that when they do not follow orders!  You have to make sure they got bullets for there gun:)  Also in the Data ini you need to make sure the aircraft is set for attack or fighter. 

Are these all set and in place.

I need them to attack groung targets with their main gun/cannon.

Yes, the plane is an attack plane and that is specified in dataini file of the plane, I checked. Plane has plenty of bullets.

Initially the main cannon was a 7.62 machine gun. I thought first it doesn't work because it's a machinegun and not a gun, but it's not that I think. I tried to add GP and this time they fired, but in a chaotic mode: at first they were just diving and not firing a single bullet. After a while two from the three wingmen fired with their cannon/machine gun, but after that they did again that dive and not using their cannon. So it has to be something with the A.I. I guess. They do that even if they have big score at skill and experience.

Edited by UllyB

There is a seguence on dropping the ordnance aich is:

- Rockets or air-to-ground missilles

- Bombs or AWD and napalms

- Guns.

No matter how you command your squadron they attack by using this seguence.

I agree but they didn't have any other ordnance. I did that on purpose to see if they use the cannon and they had the behaviour described above.

22 minutes ago, UllyB said:

I agree but they didn't have any other ordnance. I did that on purpose to see if they use the cannon and they had the behaviour described above.

Don´t they? Strange...

It can be problem with StrafeAI.

It happens when PullOutAlt is to high and AI is quiting before he start shooting.

It's working StrafeAI from Tonka. Try with some values.

[StrafeAI]
RollInRange=5500.0
RollInAlt=1350
PullOutAlt=80
ReleaseRange=1800.0
SecondPassRange=4500.0
SecondPassAlt=1350
ReleaseCount=0.15
AimPitchOffset=-1.2

• Like 1

I have these values in dataini file:

[StrafeAI]
RollInRange=5000.0
RollInAlt=1300.0
PullOutRange=300.0
PullOutAlt=100.0
ReleaseRange=600.0
SecondPassRange=4000.0
SecondPassAlt=1000.0
ReleaseInterval=1.0
AimPitchOffset=0.8

so it looks alright. Other plane handle very well these values for their files.

remember, that may only work on SF2 units. I don't ever recall seeing that in 1stGens (which is only where the OP works in)

It can be tried, but there's no garuntee that the AI routines in SF/Wo* will react, or even see them.

Locate and extract the AI data ini from which ever cat it hiding in, and see it those statement even exist

yes  they exist into aircraftobject.ini. I always compare "new" settings from new planes I encounter with the ones in the that file. Some are changed, some are default and some , for some helos, for instance, I changed them myself after thoroughly testing.

However I tested more and it seems that it has to do with the height where plane/helo is (planes/helos which were given command to attack, and they were at high altitude, they fired their missiles in the first pass), the distance set in detect system (how far they can "see" ahead). Planes/helos which won't fire their weapons from first pass, they will do it eventually in the next ones, at some point. Some will not fire at all. Why is that , remains a mistery to me, only TK would know.