Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Thoroughly enjoying the DCS AJS-37 Viggen

As a dedicated air-to-air fan, I would have preferred the JA-37. But the AJS-37 has unique advanced systems that are interesting to figure out and employ. While it can be employed as a fighter, it has only a very basic radar search, no tracking, no BVR missiles, just AIM-9s and the option to use gunpods. To truly enjoy this aircraft, you have to fly it on strike or anti-ship sorties. Low altitude passes can be used to accurately lay down retarded bombs. Rockets are very accurate, too. The Mavericks and antiship missiles are fairly easy to employ and have a great chance of hitting if aimed properly before firing. It is absolutely amazing to have a sim where you can fire and control a command guidance air-to-surface missile. The training, instant action, and regular missions give you plenty of opportunities to try all of these systems out. I like it so much that I may buy the AJS-37 Red Flag campaign.

I miss those advanced features on SF, being able to search myself the targets I want to attack using a EO device, or slewing the A-A radar are really fun. That, together with features like mid air engine restarts and A-A refuelling make DCS the only platform for the future. A real pity we cannot see more aircraft in FC3 style and of course, more maps.