Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

Creating new pilot (different look of helmet)

In order to create a "new pilot" I took a copy of an existing pilot from the objects/pilots-folder and renamed the folder and the files in it (bmp, ini and the two LOD-files) - ending with a "3" instead of the "2" before.

Next I changed the bitmap-picture - say to a different helmet color.

Lastly I changed the pilot's name in the aircraft's DATA.ini giving the new folder's name. Thought that would be it, but it is not... I am getting a black pilot...

Do I need to change the contents of the two LOD-files somehow as well?

Stingray77,

I think you need to get a hex-editor in order to edit the copied LOD.

The Hex editor will allow you to edit the LOD by adjusting the name of the reference .bmp the LOD uses

yes

you need the Hex-Editor XVI32 and you have to open the lod file search for the bmp. entry and change the 2 to a 3 like you did with the folders and save the lod with the Hex-Editor XVI32

now the lod calls for the correct texture file and your pilot shows up in color

xvi32.zip

unpack and add the folder in to your  C/Program Files or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64bit computer

if you have problems doing it send the pilot to me and i make it for you

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Stingray77, the approach you are trying can work with objects in terrain folders but not sure about making new pilots. Make sure the folder has the same name as your re-named lod but don't change the name of the BitMap, just include it in the new folder. If it doesn't work that way, then the hex-editor is probably the only option.

having done nearly a hundred pilot figures (in 1stGens), the only way is as described -- you need to not only rename the ini and lods to the new pilot name -and the name of the new lod in the main ini, you MUST hex edit the lod and change the names of the referenced skin bmp.

there are 3 instances of the skin in the the 1st level lod, and 2 in the 2nd level lod. ALL must be changed.

also, don't but the XVI32 folder into the Program Files sections of you HD -- put it at the root of C; it keeps it out of the protected regions, and allows it to work better (at least is has for me for the last 10 years!)

Thanks everybody for your input.

Got it working with your xvi32, ravenclaw... Klasse Sache! :)

It was exploring new territories for me...

If you are putting your pilot .INI, .BMP, and .LOD in sub folders, you do not need to hex edit the .LOD.

Just change the name of the sub folder and change the top level .INI to match the name of the sub folder.

I can post a screenshot when I get home, if that helps.

So all your .LOD's will be looking for the same .BMP texture name, but it will use the .BMP in the sub folder.

This saves you a little time.

how does that work, exactly, when using unique names for, not only the "pilot name", but for the skin itself? Because it's folderized, and the game engine knows to look at folders last?

I don't trust that way -- it takes me less than 30 seconds to hex edit both  lods with unique (6 character) skin names.