This is the first release of the LOD Exporter for blender.

A main reason for this release is to get feedback / bug reports from you users (3D Modeler). I'm not a 3D Modeler myself. I only tested the exporter with rather simple object (hierarchies). I tried to implement the exporter only based on the information I found by investigating LOD files. Thanks again to logan4 and angelp who provided me with specific lod files that helped me to understand the lod file format better.  

The Bottom line is that I have no idea if the exporter works for you. So please give feedback.

The Exporter Script: Update: The latest version can be found in the download section: https://combatace.com/files/file/16747-lod-exporter-for-blender/

1.) Installation
Open the Blender User Preferences - Add-ons Tab
(File -> User Preferences... -> Add-Ons)
Click "Install from File..."
Browse to and select the exporter python script "io_export_sf2_lod.py"
Click "Install from File..." (or double click on the script name)

In the Add-Ons Tab under Supported Level select Testing and enable "Import-Export: Strike Fighters 2 LOD Exporter"

The LOD exporter is now installed and enabled. Under File -> Export you should see the menu item "Strike Fighters 2 LOD (.lod)". It's greyed out until an exportable object is selected.

2.) Usage
Select the object you want to export and click File -> Export -> Strike Fighters 2 LOD (.lod)
The file browser opens. In the lower left area you see the LOD exporter options. Currently there is only one option: enable/disable writing the out file (text file with information about the exported object(s)).

The selected object and all child objects are exported.

Please note!

The objects must meet the following requirements:

-No scaling in the Transform Properties allowed (that means: scale x = y = z = 1.0). If your object has scaling, it should be applied to the mesh (Ctrl-A)
-A material must be assigned to the object. Only the first material of an object is exported.

Only the following material parameters are exported:

-Diffuse Color (the lod file format also contains ambient color. Currently the exporter set ambient color = diffuse color)
    -Specular Color
    -Specular Intensity
    -Specular Hardness (I think in 3ds Max it's called glossiness)
    -if "Shading -> Emit" > 0.0 then self illumination is enabled
    -Transparency (if transparency is enabled, then the object doesn't cast and doesn't catch shadow. if transparency is disabled, then the object cast and catch shadow. The specific LOD format version the exporter writes, doesn't support arbitrary cast/catch shadow combinations. The other LOD formats I don't understand enough (yet). Sorry!)
    -Alpha
    -Mirror Reflectivity
    -Diffuse texture image name (as diffuse texture the exporter uses the texture where "Influence -> Diffuse -> Color" is enabled)
    -Normal map texture image name("Influence -> Geometry -> Normal" is enabled and the Normal value is also exported)
    -Specular map texture image name("Influence -> Specular -> Intensity" is enabled)
    -Normal and specular map can only be used together with a diffuse map. (If I exported a normal or specular map without diffuse map, then the LOD wasn't shown in the game or the game crashed. I don't know why...)

The exporter supports no animation yet :sad:

Edited by mue
added link to download section for latest version
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Wow, this is awesome. Good job! :clapping:

I will run some tests later that day, when I have more time. A quick test I just run, got several errors and no loadable lod, but I'm pretty sure the fault was on my end, as I'm not that familiar with setting up materials/bump-/specmaps etc. I will also use some simple object then. :)

This community never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for all of your efforts.

Andrew.

I'm still getting the following errors. Google doesn't really help here. *shrugs*

error1.jpg.4c1b05db58079bd198c5cde278c22393.jpg

I started a new test with a Cube.

Cube has scale 1.0, has UV-mapping, has a material, has BM (squares in the picture), has SM (set up, but not visible?).

Testfile is attached. Blender version 2.79, 64bit used.

ExporterTest_Cube.7z

PictureCube.jpg

Edited by Nyghtfall
Added Blender version

1 hour ago, Nyghtfall said:

I'm still getting the following errors. Google doesn't really help here. *shrugs*

error1.jpg.4c1b05db58079bd198c5cde278c22393.jpg

I started a new test with a Cube.

Cube has scale 1.0, has UV-mapping, has a material, has BM (squares in the picture), has SM (set up, but not visible?).

Testfile is attached. Blender version 2.79, 64bit used.

Nothing wrong with your cube.
Seems to be a bug in my code. Although with the blender version I use (2.78) it works. I'm working on a bugfix. Stay tuned...

I fixed the bug in version 0.2. I updated the link in the first post. Please redownload the script and reinstall it into blender.

I tested your cube with blender version 2.78 and 2.79:

img00002.thumb.JPG.a4d912cc2554bde353d6421313904325.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well here is a small test. It has been so long since I have played around with Blender that I have no clue how to attach a material to a model. But I converted this model with version 0.2 and can view it in LODViewer.

Capture.thumb.JPG.fb54e52052210cae17a0063dad4f50b1.JPG

This is what it should look like. Maybe some one with more blender experience can help me out?

Capture2.thumb.JPG.1a9ab1b74214bf9847b77ab452fe80d5.JPG 

Edited by KJakker
Corrected spelling.

first, mue HUGE thanks for your efforts. you sir may be one of the most important modders of the community with not a plane nor campaign release!

that said, a note to everyone reading: it will be very helpful if the knowledgeable people can create a tutorial for making a 3d object once the kinks are worked out.  doesnt have to be a plane, say make a box with lid. that way, animations (if mue gets them to work), adding materials and all other related materials are covered. yes i know it could be a big request

It will NOT end the endless "how do i" questions. it WILL provide a learning tool for those that do diligent research and be an end point for the how do i threads (yes i know i've been pointed tot hte KB many times myself over the years)

i look forward to seeing the final polished product, and really hope i can contribute whole aircraft rather than skinsets for already done birds. but i personally want to put out a decent product, and admit i would need pointers on what the 3d guys have practice for years

just a couple pennies on the matter

• Like 2

Great work! v0.2 works like a charm.

:drinks:

Just tested some Fakepilot-stuff.

AddOnsBlender.thumb.jpg.d3447e4f553e625dda05310471d399df.jpg

Just to understand stuff correct: At the moment the Material of the parent-object is the only material that is exported? So a child-object gets the same material as the parent? Or is it 1 material per object? I seem to get the first case, but I'm not sure, if I did everything correct ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyghtfall said:

Just to understand stuff correct: At the moment the Material of the parent-object is the only material that is exported? So a child-object gets the same material as the parent? Or is it 1 material per object? I seem to get the first case, but I'm not sure, if I did everything correct ;)

It's one material per object.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:51 PM, mue said:

It's one material per object.

Thats ok most objects share one bmp or jpeg...it doesnt matter,just objects cant have 2 textures anyways  game wont allow it,....max only allows one texture per object any ways...with the TW lod exporter

Edited by russouk2004

As expected, the fault was on my end. It works now as intended!

Let me thank you again mue...this Exporter is a HUGE timesaver for me! :good:

If we ever get a "Modders Walk of Fame", you are the first one to get a star! :drinks:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

hats ok most objects share one bmp or jpeg...it doesnt matter,just objects cant have 2 textures anyways  game wont allow it,....max only allows one texture per object any ways...with the TW lod exporter

Hmmmm, not necessarily.  Many modern 3d models especially make use of Multi/Sub-Object material properties to assign different materials to faces that share a single mesh.  I bring this up because when working with these models you must of course change those assignments so there is only a single diffuse texture map or color applied so the game engine recognizes them.  Russouk2004, I am sure you already know this but just putting it out there for the benefit of others that might stumble across models with multi-sub-object material assignments! 

If we ever get a "Modders Walk of Fame", you are the first one to get a star!

Believe me, that's a given. I'd see to it personally!!! :drinks:

Im sure TK said exporter and or game doesnt support multi\sub- objects

Hi Mue,

I've been using Version 0.2 of your exporter for Blender and was wondering whether this was bug? Whenever I look at a hex view of a blender based lod I notice there are spaces between each of the letters (please see green shaded areas in the attached pic). Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong? I've included a pic of the same lod using your lod viewer  so you can see how the texture and the node are named.

Thanks

Mues_exporter_hexView.thumb.jpg.25bb97fbd7b029b024a1b738b6aac1dd.jpg

Edited by norrinor
Correction

norinor,

Remember the SF2 series uses UNICODE.
Mind you, I am no coder, but from what I have seen UNICODE displays the data as you are seeing above (spacing between letters).

Mue,

The tool is great. I have managed to get some items into game.

Screenshot is of a troop tent that I found on line.

img00017.JPG

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, krfrge said:

norinor,

Remember the SF2 series uses UNICODE.
Mind you, I am no coder, but from what I have seen UNICODE displays the data as you are seeing above (spacing between letters).

@krfrge - Thanks that explains it.

4 hours ago, krfrge said:

Mue,

The tool is great. I have managed to get some items into game.

Screenshot is of a troop tent that I found on line.

Nice to see some results. :smile:

• Like 1

I don't have anything in game yet, I still have to get a fully working data file set up, but I got the materials showing in LODViewer now.

2018-02-06_031929.thumb.JPG.c2328977f91c94eceebce2370d1d1f94.JPG

2018-02-06_032012.thumb.JPG.c6340de2281f25f93a5431f5b70b0185.JPG

2018-02-06_032043.thumb.JPG.08c0292e22c7b0172898d403cd47745b.JPG

2018-02-06_032122.thumb.JPG.0f5005dfbe5d579a8ae78696fb7e90ff.JPG

• Like 3