Sign in to follow this  
Allo

9600XT Upgrade

You guys are probably sick of these stupid questions? :haha:

I'm thinking of upgrading my video card. I currently have a 9600XT.

I'm thinking of getting a 6600GT. Is it even worth it? I was told by the guy at the shop it wasn't worth it. Then there is a 9800XT for a few bucks more. So.....

1) Is it worth upgrading from a 9600XT to a 6600GT?

2)Is the 9800XT much better than the 6600GT?

Sorry if this question seems silly but I'm not a computer person.

PS. AGP cards.

Mainly for Sims like SFP1 & Lock On.

Any reply would be appreciated.

1. No, it's not. You will get a performance boost (not sure how much) but it won't be worth spending $200-300 on a new card.

2. I think the 660GT is better than the 9800XT, but not by much. If there's a difference, it's rather small. If you had to choose between the two, though, 6600GT would be the better value for the money, since it's a later gen card.

If you really want to see some improvement for the money, I'd go with a 6800GT. I love mine! I think the prices nowadays are down in the $250-300 level.

So in short, unless you're planning on going 6800GT or better, it's probably not worth the money.

Edited by PG_Raptor

I went from the 9600XT to the BFG 6800OC Vanilla card and was able to unlock the extra pipes from 12/5 to the 16/6 and it is an incredible difference. The higher details that it is able to run is very nice. The 6600GT's that I have seen also offer a nice move up from the 9600XT.

The 9800XT is not really any better and in most situations worse off than the 6600GT.

Edited by Chaingun

Go for a 6800GT mate

Mine runs sweet.Its worth the extra pennies

Hey Pete,

If you don't mind, what titles are you running? I just ordered a Leadtek 6800GT to replace my 9700 PRO. Did you move from ATI to NVIDIA? I'm gonna post over on TK's Forums too to see what gains (if any) to expect in SFP1 and WOV. I know that its going to tank at Silent Hunter III,but I'm really looking forward to water=3 in Pac. Fighters :biggrin:

Hi Mate

I use to run a Radeon 9800pro,The 6800GT pissers all over it.

Long Live Nvidia

The 6800GT Runs Pacific Fighters so smooth & glitch free it makes shooting down the japs a real pleasure.

Cheers Pete

Pete, out of curiosity, what settings do you run PF at? and what else do you have in your system?

Hi Chap

I use 66.93 drivers as they seem to run better than later drivers.

The sims I run are FS2004 average Frame rates 40-50FPS

Also Wings over Vietnam,Strike Fighters Gold the card handles thes games glitch free no lock ups or stalls.

The whole IL2 series runs sweet.The settings I use are the default ones I let the game decide what to set the graphics at.

My System (Home Build)

XP2600+ chip

XFX KT400 Motherboard

XFX 6800GT Graphics with screen size 1024x768 with 32bit colours

1 Gig 2700 Ram

120 ATA 133 Hard drive

Windows XP Pro

Edited by Pete

I run IL2 at 1024x768 (darn 17" monitors) but it runs sweet at perfect settings unless it's a massive battle on a very large map. Averages about 40's or so dipping down to mid 20's. Because of the dipping I run at excellent most of the time w/ 4xAA. Drivers I'm not sure of right now, but I change drivers like underware. (Love the Beta Game).

system is as follows

A7N8X Deluxe version 2

AMD 2500+ at 2.2 Ghz (3200+ speed)

1 gig PC400 ram

80 gig worth of HD (mostly older tech at 7200rpm 2mb cache)

BFG 6800 OC (16/6 w/ stock speed)

Hi Mate

I use to run a Radeon 9800pro,The 6800GT pissers all over it.

Long Live Nvidia

The 6800GT Runs Pacific Fighters so smooth & glitch free it makes shooting down the japs a real pleasure.

Cheers Pete

Well, seeing as the 9800 is a contemporary of the 5900, and the 6800GT is the same generation as the X800, it's not surprising at all. Also, the nvidia cards have historically been better in OpenGL games like Doom 3 and Il-2, while ATI are better in D3D games.

The Jedi Master