Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Issue with RAF WW2 bombs

I've been finding some issues with the RAF bomb series. In my WW2 weapons folder I have folders called RAF50, RAF100, RAF250, RAF500 and RAF1000. Some have excessive weights and some have mixed up full names. The RAF series have their own lods.

I also have some other bombs called UK250lb, UK500lb and UK1000lb. This series doesn't have lods in the folder and appears to use the stock TW UK bomb data. The weights etc. look fine but the dimensions are much different.

I'm in the process of putting together a Typhoon FM and will be adjusting the Tempest load out as well so was wondering if someone could check the RAF series bombs in their WW2 install and see if they have the weight and naming errors as well. Not sure where I got either of these bomb series from but they may not be up to date. I could just fix the RAF series but that requires some research so would be interested in any suggestions from the weapon experts regarding the most realistic bombs to use for WW2 RAF use.

A lot of that is left over from the early 2000s, when we first started building WW2 stuff. 

IIRC, it's the weight in pounds (obviously!), but the weight in the data ini should be the correct kgs. Those tagged "UK" are the stock 3W, post war (probably post 1955 or later) series; that's why there's no lod.  They get referenced from weaponsdata.ini

Here's a pdf you might find helpful. I've a full set (i think!) of these, covering German, Japanes, Italian, French Russian and other various explosive stuff

OP 1665 British Explosive Ordnance 1946,1970 update.7z

Thanks, I will check through that document and revise what I think necessary with the RAF bomb inis and include the new ones with the Typhoon.

SF2 WW2 installs are tricky!  Lot's of old files to review and update but for anyone looking for an EAW style WW2 sim, I don't see any other options.

baffmeister, you might take a look at Geezer's 1930's Bomb Pack which I think was in the FE downloads.  He includes British, Italian and German bombs from the late 1920's through 1945.  I just got back into the WW2 material, and have been trying to update the old bomb models.  Some of the weapons are pretty long in the tooth.  Ravenclaw has some dazzling dumb bombs, HVARs and RP-3 models that will fit the time frame and make your ordinance look good.

• Like 2

indeed, Ravenclaw sent me his US ww2 bombs to test, which I must admit, I have not been doing ....and they LOOK great too!

Thanks for the tips and thanks again for the document, which has all the weights, explosive percentages and various types the Brits used during WW2. The date range for the various bombs seems to be covered reasonably well by assorted websites.

After doing a bit of research I'm just going to leave the "RAF" bomb series alone for now. They are probably being used quite a bit for the WW2 bombers and I don't want to mess with them at this point. I did have a look at the lods and they don't seem to resemble the early WW2 RAF bombs all that well except for the ring around the tail fins. Some of them look more like the later MC [medium capacity] types that entered service in 1943. I will include a couple of bombs with the Typhoon FM. The lod for the RAF500[kg!] makes a good 1000lb-MC so will include that. I also found a nice 500lb-MC in my regular SF-2 install but don't know where it came from. Both will get checked over and re-packaged for "Bulge" use.

I also checked over ThirdWires UK250lb, UK500lb and UK1000lb. The 500 and 1000 look like newer bombs but the UK250lb looks exactly like the 250lb GP used in WW2 so I might re-package that one at some point. Here's a pic of the ThirdWire 250lb GP.  In game it shows up as "250-lb Bomb" .

250lbGP.thumb.jpg.20408b03a52b58c6a81439fef7a775d1.jpg

• Like 2

Could someone tell me what the CEP= entry in the bomb data ini's represents? I noticed all the TW dumb bombs I've looked at have CEP=20 for that entry while all the "aftermarket" dumb bombs have CEP=0.

The very last entry:

[WeaponData001]
TypeName=Mk81
FullName=Mk.81 250-lb Bomb
ModelName=mk81
Mass=113.400002
Diameter=0.230000
Length=1.880000
SubsonicDragCoeff=0.092000
SupersonicDragCoeff=0.357000
AttachmentType=NATO
SpecificStationCode=
NationName=USAF
StartYear=1957
EndYear=0
Availability=3
BaseQuantity=24
Exported=TRUE
ExportStartYear=1957
ExportEndYear=0
ExportAvailability=3
WeaponDataType=0
RailLaunched=FALSE
Retarded=FALSE
FinStabilized=TRUE
SpinStabilized=FALSE
EffectClassName=SmallBombEffects
DragAreaMultiplier=1.000000
WarheadType=0
Explosives=44.000000
FusingDistance=0.000000
ClusterBomblets=0
ClusterDispersion=0.000000
GuidanceType=0
Accuracy=0
MaxTurnRate=0.000000
MaxLaunchG=0.000000
LockonChance=0
LaunchReliability=0
ArmingTime=0.000000
SeekerFOV=0.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=0.000000
SeekerTrackRate=0.000000
SeekerRange=0.000000
LiftDragRatio=4.000000
ReleaseAnimationID=-1
EODisplayFlags=0
CEP=20.000000....................................................THIS?

Thanks,  I think I read something about that when researching the RAF bombs. Will stay with the TW number for now and see if I can find more bomb specific info.

For the UK general purpose bombs used in WW2 all I found regarding CEP was a reference to "groupings within 20yds" when dropped from 10,000ft. I will guess that the TW entry CEP=20.00 represents groupings within 20meters so will just stay with that.

Id say the main purpose of the CEP function in SF is to generate the random bomb/weapon impacts.

With CEP 0 the impacts are all lined up, iirc.

When updating older weapons I always take the value from a matching stock weapon.. to have continuity.

• Like 2