I love Stary's Mig 15 cockpit, but one thing always bugged me about it, even though I personally think it's one of the most beautiful Strike Fighters cockpits ever made: the mirror. From the Russian accounts I've read through Yefim Gordon's books and others, the MIg 15 didn't get the periscope mirror until after the Korean War ended. Thanks to Mue's LOD viewer, I've been able to do what you see in the screenshots. I know old timers here probably already know how, but for new people here just copy this into your Mig-15_cockpit.ini. At the end of the numbered instrument list add:

Instrument[xxx]=MoveMirror01

and change the xxx to whatever number is next in the series, then, at the end of the cockpit.ini add:

[MoveMirror01]
Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR
NodeName=mirror_mounting
MovementType=POSITION_Z
Set[01].Position=-100
Set[01].Value=0.0
Set[02].Position=-99
Set[02].Value=1.0

This will remove the mirror completely. Of course, you should only do this in a strict Korean War mod, and only if your mod ends in 1953. If your mod goes later than that, you'll need to create a specific Mig-15 bis Late, and change the cockpit.ini only in the early versions. My thanks to Stary for this gorgeous cockpit, and to Mue for his incredible talent at making the tools to make things happen in this sim, even for a challenged idiot like me.

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

...or you could simply set the type to inactive to get rid of it in SF2.

Instrument[xxx]=Mirror01

[Mirror01]
Type=inactive
NodeName=mirror_mounting

7 minutes ago, Nyghtfall said:

...or you could simply set the type to inactive to get rid of it in SF2.

Instrument[xxx]=Mirror01

[Mirror01]
Type=inactive
NodeName=mirror_mounting

Thanks. Looks much easier. That's why I post here. I like to learn.

• Like 1

Do you have sources for that lack of mirrior Korea thing?

On 3/3/2018 at 3:03 AM, Stratos said:

Do you have sources for that lack of mirrior Korea thing?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Stratos. Real life sucks. I'm looking up all my sources, but the first one I found is the Aerofax Mig 15 book which states on p.22 that the first experimental installation of a T-23 rear view periscope wasn't until June of 1952. Both the T-23 and T-25, according to the book, were unsatisfactory. It wasn't until the T-27 installed on the Mig 17 that the Soviets had a working one. I'm looking for specific citations from the Soviet pilot accounts that I've read who mention not having one until after the Korean War. I'll post them as soon as I find the books, which were kind of buried in boxes during a recent move. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

No need to be sorry man! Just curious as Is always interesting to learn new aviation related facts.

I hear you on that one, Stratos. It's why I love this community. So much cool stuff to learn from everyone here, history, as well as tools to mod my favorite sim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heck said:

So much cool stuff to learn from everyone here

Must agree, bro. It's fantastic community that have really large knowledge base .

You can learn almost everything about 3d modelling,  aerofoils, history and much, much more.

Never saw so many, so good informed ppl in 1 place before.

• Like 1