PFunk

Requesting Permission to Update Operation Darius

I would like to request permission to update Operation Darius to the latest SF2NA-standards, using Menrva’s newer, HD Iran-Iraq terrain.  If someone is already on the case, cool.  I’ll step aside.  If not, I’d like permission to move forward on the project.

Thanks,

PFunk

AFAIK nobody is working on  it (we're slowly working on an updated Operation Desert Storm), so I'm very glad you want to update it with my beauty! Let's hear the others for permission, but I think that many would be interested in seeing how Op Darius works with the new terrain.

• Thanks 1

anything of mine you want to use go for it.  let me know if you need an Iran Air tga for the Airbus, should be easy to knock out and throw together a European airliner skin for Iran if you want civvies in the area

Thank you, I appreciate that.  You're a good troop.

The only thing I think I'd really like to do is use the existing plane and ground object sets and simply adapt the campaign files to use the new terrain and then give it native naval ops.  It probably would be something very small, as in, just the .ini files for the campaign.  

Edited by PFunk
  • Like 1

I don't mind doing a complete repackage, but that would be after there is a tremendous amount of input from Eric Howes and everyone else involved in his work.

if there's anything (left) of mine, go for it!

While you are at it, note that I recently helped someone with a missing content issue for Operation Darius. You might want to check that such errors,  if possible, are fixed while updating.

Feel free to use the latest SP F-14s - they've seen a lot of changes over the past 6 years.

• Thanks 1

I think it would also be nice to have a 2018 version of Operation Darius, with a more recent and accurate order of battle. But we would need to update the package with new planes, I guess.

@PFunk I'll be updating the terrain package in the next weeks, because there was a nasty bug with Kharg Island Airport. Now it's fixed, so be on the lookout for the next version if you plan to repackage Op. Darius with it.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

Sounds great.  And I agree.  A more updated ORBAT is probably a good idea.  The Su-27s and possibly even the Su-30s in the IRIAF probably need to go.  I was considering substituting the PAC JF-17 Thunder because the Iranians are actually in talks to get those as they recently inked an $8B arms deal with the Chinese.  I figured updating SAMs along with maybe even adding a 'what-if' aspect of the J-31 or FBC-1 in service with the IRIAF.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PFunk said:

Sounds great.  And I agree.  A more updated ORBAT is probably a good idea.  The Su-27s and possibly even the Su-30s in the IRIAF probably need to go.  I was considering substituting the PAC JF-17 Thunder because the Iranians are actually in talks to get those as they recently inked an $8B arms deal with the Chinese.  I figured updating SAMs along with maybe even adding a 'what-if' aspect of the J-31 or FBC-1 in service with the IRIAF.

About the J-31, if we want to avoid what ifs, we can always put it as a Chinese aircraft visiting Iran and supporting the Iranian air units during the Coalition attack.

@Caesar, thank you very much, sir.  It is appreciated.

Just looking at the old plane set, there is a lot of updating to do as much newer versions of just about everything exists.

• Thanks 1

Currently working on gathering the assets to make this a semi-believable campaign.  I am dropping the inclusion of the JF-17 Thunder because it seems there is some reluctance from at least one of the partner nations in the CAC/PAC joint corporation to sell to Iran.  So, I am leaving the J-10 from the original Darius package in place and possibly adding the JH-7A Flounder-A instead as maybe an 'optional' aircraft.

I will not be updating the campaign that includes a ground war, mostly because I do not think one would happen under the present circumstances.  I am basing this on a 2013 paper published by the RAND Corporation that reached what I thought were the most logical conclusions if Iran were ever to gain nuclear weapons.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR310.html

So, aviation warfare only.  Again, I am gathering what I need from the CombatAce downloads sections and I will be publishing a complete list of requested assets to be included in this repackaging.  I am considering a red side campaign, but I have not decided yet.

I'll stay tuned.  :-)

Thanks, guys for your work on this!