Sign in to follow this  
Bodcap8

Triple IRM rails. Why not?

Would you like to have a IRM rail that mounts 3 missiles, close together? It can be done, if you are fluent in 'editing'  the weapons files.

Use the SOVIET  APU-62L as a base rail, and go from there.

My fighters are now set with 6 wingtip or underwing  'micro' IRM's on only two stations, fantastic!

• Sad 1

I suppose you could.  Problem is the amount of drag.

10 hours ago, Bodcap8 said:

Would you like to have a IRM rail that mounts 3 missiles, close together? It can be done, if you are fluent in 'editing'  the weapons files.

Use the SOVIET  APU-62L as a base rail, and go from there.

My fighters are now set with 6 wingtip or underwing  'micro' IRM's on only two stations, fantastic!

Wouldn't it be better to actually post your edits here, so others can use them, if they wish to?

At the moment your post has no useful information at all...

In the reality the problem is, if you store IR missiles as close as possible, that the smoke of an starting rocket engine can harm the IR sensor of the other missiles. Even dust and fume can reduce the efficency of the IR seeker in significant way.

guess Bodcap8 doesn't care about realism...since putting 6 IRM on wingtip.....:please::oops::ohmy::pardon:

• Haha 2

if you want arcade version, knock yourself silly. after all, a long time ago someone modded Snoopy on his doghouse ready to take on the Red Baron.

however, at least the active folks in these forums prefer historical and technical accuracy. Pfunk and Nyghtfall bring up excellent points on the technical aspect, while historically (prior to Mar 2018) it wouldnt have been done due to wiring, vibration and cost issues IRL

but there does seem to be a group out there that prefers arcade over simulation (they may enjoy it) , and your copy of the game is yours to mod as you desire. just understand the more negative viewpoints come from a group that prefers simulation (representative as close to real life/history) over arcade and yes we tend to be the more active in forums. finally yes, posting the adjusted file will help get practical advice rather than opinions (some in the accuracy crowd might enjoy the mental challenge of tweaking an existing file, but not doing it from an idea and scratch)

just a couple pennies on the matter

• Like 2

hell, we've been doing that sort of thing since (at least) 2005, when the first weapons editor and cat extractor became available. Nothing new. Somewhere around here is a version of Hawk Hunters' F-16XL from "The Wingman" book series, with 6 M-61s in the nose, and 12 winders on the wingtips.

Accuracy and Realism (tm), to the limit of the Game Engine ARE what most of us are about. Why else would we spend uncountable (insert monetary unit of country of origin) to get even the simplest things (serial numbers, squadron coding) as close to Real Life (tm) as possible?

as to the Fantasy aspect, perhaps I should just move this Thread to the "What If..." forum? Not to quash original thinking, but there is a place for such dreamery. Also, as others have said making a blanket statement as the OP did, and not back it up with the int text AND in-game screen shots, has very little meaning

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback.

The real world simulation over 'arcade game' aspect of Strike Fighters is important to me also (precisely why I did not include weapon edits or screen shots in my original post). I don't want to just dump a weapon creation into the community and see it corrupt the simulation.

I enjoy modifying existing weapons, guns and ground objects into new versions based on real world research & development projects, experiments or cancelled projects. All of my modifications exist only as a series of one's and zero's on my hard-drive and are only a delete keystroke away from not existing at all. Some of my modifications I keep, many I just experiment with and then discard.

While some 4th and 5th generation real world fighters can enter battle with 8, 10 or even 12 air-to-air missiles attached, I'm fully aware that a proposed/experimental Triple-IRM-Rail (the horror...) may not be acceptable to some people.

Thank you.