Sign in to follow this  
AJAY67

Modelling Question

Hi community,

One of my colleagues who does modelling for our real sim has dropped a couple of questions that I cannot answer, but perhaps some of you guys can (I only look after the hardware).

Our simulator is based around a new simulator, which in turn is based around the Outerra engine. My colleague has done modelling before, but has mostly done modelling with an application called Oxygen, which our company will not allow us to use. So, as we are inserting aircraft, my colleague is curious to know which modelling programs this community uses, and also what the average poly counts are like. As well as this, is anybody here willing to share what scripting languages are being used to configure the models please?

Tell me to bugger off if this is asking too much, but I have come here and asked this because this community is always so helpful.

Thanks from Jordan!

Andrew.

3DS Max is the program of choice, as the 3rd Wire exporter (to create the final LOD for in game use) only supports that program.

HOWEVER...

if one follows the Forums, we learn the the Inestimable Mue, is working at a 3W exporter for Blender, which is a free 3d program (and not zillions of dollars/yen/marks/francs/pounds/etc) like MAX is.

IIRC poly counts for the average aircraft can be somewhere around 15-20K, for very highly detailed. IIRC, most of the stock birds are around 10K (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

15 minutes ago, Wrench said:

3DS Max is the program of choice, as the 3rd Wire exporter (to create the final LOD for in game use) only supports that program.

Max in version not younger than 2009 (or maybe I'm wrong ??) and only 32-bits for LOD exporter.

yes, i think that's right. I have MAX 2009, never installed the exporter simply because I've never learned to use it (sad, huh?)

23 hours ago, AJTucker said:

As well as this, is anybody here willing to share what scripting languages are being used to configure the models please?

What do you mean by "configure the models"?

Do you mean defining/simulating aircraft systems, avionics,...? Then it's dependent on the game/simulation engine you are using, e.g:

-In the SF/SF2 game engine the aircraft systems are not defined by a scripting language but by configuration (*.ini) files.
-The Digital Combat Simulator uses LUA as scripting language.
-The open source flight simulator Flightgear uses it's own scripting language NASAL.

But if you mean a scripting language that supports the 3d modelling? Then it's dependent on the 3D model software you are using, e.g Blender uses Python.

Edited by mue
typo

Hi mue,

Sorry for the late reply, but I really appreciate your help with this topic. Many thanks indeed.

Andrew.