Apologies if this has been covered. I did search the forum and none of the answers seemed to fit my exact problem.

I have a Microsoft FF2 joystick. The feedback works when shooting cannons, launching missiles, dropping bombs and I even get control buffet when pulling too hard. 

What is missing is the centering pressure. Before we get into how modern jets have fly-by-wire and no control feel, I understand that, but the centering pressure is there until I load a mission. Then at 30%, I lose it and the stick goes 'flop'.

It's nice to have. Especially in the P-51. 

Any ideas on why I lose centering pressure only when I try to fly a mission?

Thanks!

I believe in the options.ini there are 2 or 4 parameters that deal with FF stick forces.

I'll verify tonight when I get home.

In the options.ini, there are the following:

ForceFeedback=1
ForceFeedbackGain=100

You can increase the gain and it will stiffen the forces.  I guess try that and see if it helps your issue.

You can set ForceFeedback=0 and it will probably stop the problem, but you won't have feedback driven by the sim.

Thank you for the reply.

My settings are set just like you said, I have no idea what it could be. I only lose the stick-centering pressure during the mission load and I don't get it back after that happens unless I exit the sim, unplug, and replug the stick. And the stick works great in other sims (IL-2). 

I'll keep troubleshooting, would really like to get this figured out. On the higher realism settings the stick pressure can be used to tell your IAS, and therefore how much energy you have...

I'm suggesting that you try changing the settings. 

First, try increasing ForceFeedbackGain.

If that doesn't work, try changing ForceFeedback=0.  This will disable feedback from the sim, but it maybe it will stop you from loosing stick forces around center.

Ah, I misread. Thank you.

I went and fiddled: My initial settings were FF 1 and Gain 100. I tried multiple settings on the gain, (0, 50, 75, etc) and thought I had it figured out, but on one load the Force Feedback cut out again and then continued to not work on subsequent loads, as usual.

I tried FF 0, and as you said, the centering pressure was there, but no other effects (buffet, bomb release, etc). This is fine, but now the Sidewinder is just a powered spring. The whole idea is to have increased pressure at higher speeds, and floppy controls at slow speed, combined with buffet as you approach a stall.

And the gain changing didn't affect the centering force, so maybe TK didn't code the Force Feedback that way in SF2. In that case what I'm asking for isn't possible.

Thank you again. I appreciate the help.

In the FlightEngine.INI, there is this:

[ForceFeedback]
ForceFeedback=FlightFFBEffect.ini
ForceFeedbackControl=PITCH_CONTROL
FadeStartTime=0.2
FadeTime=1.0

There's lots of things to tweak in the FlightFFBEffect.ini.

You have to extract both from Flight.CAT.  Sorry, forgot about this.