Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

Happy 100th Birthday...

... to the Royal Air Force.

Hey, who needs to mention the name of your country anyway?

One of my prized aviation books ended with the RAF's 50th anniversary when Harriers, Phantoms, Nimrods and Hercules aircraft were just entering service (or about to). Where have the last 50 years gone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, proud to have served in the RAF like my Mother and Father before me  PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Edited by trotski00

Many happy returns. :drinks:

Best wishes from U.S. Coast Guard Aviation, 102 years young this year!   

First Aviation Group - 1917.jpg

:drinks:

It was founded on 1 April 1918, with headquarters located in the former Hotel Cecil, during the First World War, by the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). At that time it was the largest air force in the world. (wiki)

The RNAS and RFC thought it was an April fools joke thus didn't bother stopping its creation (Kidding)

Thanks also from me, I only served for 1/4 of the Service’s history but my goodness it went by so fast!

BTW the only real manifestation of the new system for the chaps at the Front in 1918 was that they went from the Army system of being paid a month in advance, to the new Air Force system of being paid a month in arrears.

in other words they effectively lost a month’s pay. In the middle of fighting the greatest German offensive of the war. God bless Whitehall..