What is the maximum distance of the target's acquisition. the best I've got is 65km.

I used these packages ...

It depends of what you are firing at.

If you are firing at a airborne target (another fighter)

- it will depend of the type of the air-to-air missile used (so it will depend of the year you choose to fight),

- the height you are when firing the missile (the higher you are, the longer your missile will travell so you can fire it from far away then the default missile parameter), 

- the aircraft speed (the more speed you aircraft has, you can fire the missile from far away then the default  missile parameter) and, finally,

- what missiles do you have in your weapon pack available in the game .

Of course all these said,  it all comes with the experience, you'll see. Your A.I. wingmen, if you use any, depend on the detectsystem parameters into your dataini file of the aircraft. The longer is the track and search range, the longer they will fire the missile from, if their skill and experience (see the roster before the mission) is high, they will choose the right distance/moment to fire in order to get a kill. (watch your wingmen when they dogfight wiht the F10 key, sometimes it's a show in its own, especially if you have skilled wingmen, they will dodge missiles better, they will gun down enemies and they will get enemies from your back if you know how to direct them through the wingmen menu, see the TAB key)

If you are asking for terminating a ground target, I think, usually, the Mavericks are the ones you are looking for (But , the more advance is the year, more air-to-ground missiles with better performance will apear so keep that in mind when searching for a very good missile in the weaponseditor and folder). Everything I said above about the missiles parameters for air-to air missiles are available for the air-to-ground , too.

Good luck!

Edited by UllyB

It is defined in each aircraft's Avionics.ini.  For example, for the F-16CM Block 52, the search range, strength, track range and strength are as follows:

SearchRange=84
SearchStrength=110
TrackRange=59
TrackStrength=110

The ranges in this example are in Nautical Miles.  The range in practice can change depending on the target's RCS Modifier and ECM strength.  

In terms of actually shooting at the target, it's as UllyB has written.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Caesar said:

It is defined in each aircraft's Avionics.ini.  For example, for the F-16CM Block 52, the search range, strength, track range and strength are as follows:

SearchRange=84
SearchStrength=110
TrackRange=59
TrackStrength=110

The ranges in this example are in Nautical Miles.  The range in practice can change depending on the target's RCS Modifier and ECM strength.  

In terms of actually shooting at the target, it's as UllyB has written.

Which of these numerical values describes the maximum firing distance, for example AiM-120D, which has a range of 200km?

I am afraid things don't work as you think. SF1 series is a simulator and when you say simulator it does exactly what it says: it simulates and ...exactly like in real life there are no fixed things, there is no black and white only, there are thousands of grey "shades" between. What do I mean...!? Well those parameters you are questioning are either from the detectsystem section in the dataini file of the plane or the ones into the avionics file. First thing first. If it's avionics, it means they are available and they have an effect for YOU when you are piloting the plane. If they are from the detectsystem section in the dataini file, they are producing effect for your AI. controlled wingmen ONLY. I will explain those factors (the main ones) in a nutshell and you will have the answer to your question, sort of. Search range is the maximum that your plane's radar can "see" targets (let's say air ones). Track range is the parameter which tells you from what distance you can aquire target, meaning when you can "fix" it on your radar and fire at it with a radar missile (if you have one on board loaded of course), AHM or SAHM. I invite you to read AGAIN the posts above, mines and Caesar's to understand better the "mechanism". And again, I remind you that this game is not an arcade one, where you just fire the missiles button, it's a simulator more complex than simple things. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

iirc, the missles max range is defined in it's individual weapons data ini, along with the various PKs